• Register
  • Help

Topic: I'm ready to buy dedicated GS3 PC, please help.

Share/Bookmark

I'm ready to buy dedicated GS3 PC, please help.

I'm ready to get started with GS3 and need help on what PC hardware to buy. The computer show is this weekend and I want to put together a system from scratch (MB, HD, case, OS, etc). Currently I run Sonar on my XP P4 machine and intend to use it as my sequencing PC and run GS3 on 2nd PC.

My music goal is composing in real time as much as system will allow (playback previous recorded tracks and record new parts simultaneously)

My questions:

1. It's best to run GS3 on a dedicated PC? (I keep reading it is so I plan to do so).

2. What PC components do you recommend for my dedicated GS3 PC? I prefer intel cpu's and Windows XP software.

MB?:
    Intel CPU?:
    RAM?:
    HD size?:
    HD speed?: (I read that 10,000 is best?)
    Windows OS?:
    Audio card?: (possible to use onboard audio?)
    Midi in/out method:

3. How will I connect midi between the two PC's so that Sonar runs GS3? Can I simply use the dedicated PC's midi/game port and simply connect it with the standard midi cable I'm using for my keyboard, to my sequencing PC? Or do I need a soundcard with midi-in/midi-out ports? Or use ethernet networking or usb?

I want to create a stable GS3 system and appreciate any help from those who have done so.

Thanks!!

Re: I'm ready to buy dedicated GS3 PC, please help.

This is the spec for my three GS3 machines. I use FX-Teleport and GVA adapter so have no proper audio card on these PCs.

I hope that this helps.

Number of CPUs 1

Name Intel Pentium 4 540
    Code Name Prescott
    Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
    Family / Model / Stepping F 4 1
    Extended Family / Model 0 0
    Package LGA775
    Core Stepping E0
    Technology 90 nm
    Supported Instructions Sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
    CPU Clock Speed 2800.1 MHz
    Clock multiplier x 14.0
    Front Side Bus Frequency 200.0 MHz
    Bus Speed 800.0 MHz
    L1 Data Cache 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L1 Trace Cache 12 Kµops, 8-way set associative
    L2 Cache 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L2 Speed 2800.1 MHz (Full)
    L2 Location On Chip
    L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
    L2 Bus Width 256 bits

Mainboard and chipset
    Motherboard manufacturer Intel Corporation
    Motherboard model D915PBL, AAC67720-204
    BIOS vendor Intel Corp.
    BIOS revision CY91510A.86A.0031.2005.0128.0818
    BIOS release date 01/28/2005
    Chipset Intel i915P/i915G rev. 00
    Southbridge Intel 82801FB (ICH6) rev. 03

Graphic Interface PCI-Express
    PCI-E Link Width x16
    PCI-E Max Link Width x16

Memory
    DRAM Type DDR2-SDRAM
    DRAM Size 2048 MBytes
    DRAM Frequency 266.7 MHz
    FSBRAM 3:4
    CAS# Latency 4.0 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# 4 clocks
    RAS# Precharge 4 clocks
    Cycle Time (TRAS) 11 clocks
    # of memory modules 4
    Module 0 Samsung DDR2-SDRAM PC4300 - 512 MBytes
    Module 1 Samsung DDR2-SDRAM PC4300 - 512 MBytes
    Module 2 Samsung DDR2-SDRAM PC4300 - 512 MBytes
    Module 3 Samsung DDR2-SDRAM PC4300 - 512 MBytes

Software
    Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
    DirectX version 9.0c

D

MikeInFL -

1. It's best to run GS3 on a dedicated PC? (I keep reading it is so I plan to do so).

[craig] I run both ways - multiple PCs (a sequencer on one and GS3/GS2.5 on others) and GS3 and the sequencer on the same machine. I am currently working on a piece using with a my basic orchestra template (16 VSL keyswitched instruments), with 3 instances of gigapulse, with maybe 12 instruments playing at the same time, and I can run the sequencer on the same machine with asolutely no problems.

2. What PC components do you recommend for my dedicated GS3 PC? I prefer intel cpu's and Windows XP software.

[craig] I have always run GS2.5 and GS3 on out-of-the-box Dell Dimension and inexpensive Dell PowerEdge servers without any major problems (5 Dell PCs since I started using GS). I suppose I would build my own if I had any problems but have not. I also perform the standard optimization on the OS, drivers, and HD configuration.

MB?:
    Intel CPU?: My fastest are P4 2.4 800MHz(?) FSB. Old stuff. I wish I had a reason to by a new PC but can't think of any. :-(

RAM?:I have 1.5 gig in most of my machines. Since I buy Dell I always buy my own RAM.

HD size?: Small for your OS. Large for samples. 250s or so. Put sample drives on a different IDE channel from the OS drive. Defrag drives after loading new sample to each them.

HD speed?: (I read that 10,000 is best?)
    The faster the better I suppose but I have never had a problem with 7200 rmp, < 8.5 ms HDs. The 7200's are so well priced they are hard to pass up. Search to see what performance improvements, if any, people are getting with 10Ks.

Windows OS?: XP Pro. Home is fine. Some people use Remote Desktop which comes with Pro

Audio card?: (possible to use onboard audio?) RME and Echo
    [cd] You will need a soundcard with GSIF drivers to use GS. I have an RME and a less expensive Echo Mia. Both work well.

Midi in/out method: USB KB to sequencer to GS and MOL for multiple PC scenarios.
    [craig] I use MOL (works well) because I started with it long ago. Check out the other options as well.

3. How will I connect midi between the two PC's so that Sonar runs GS3? Can I simply use the dedicated PC's midi/game port and simply connect it with the standard midi cable I'm using for my keyboard, to my sequencing PC? Or do I need a soundcard with midi-in/midi-out ports? Or use ethernet networking or usb?

[craig] You can transfer midi via hardware midi interfaces but, as i said, I like MOL and it is inexpensive. While I have 10/100 Mbs ethernet connectivity now, if I were to buy a new PC I would make certain a got a system with gigabit ethernet on the motherboard (you can pass audio as well as midi so the more bandwidth the better).

I want to create a stable GS3 system and appreciate any help from those who have done so
    [cd] Search for Jon Fairhurst's important thread concerning PC configurations that work. That's your best bet. Thus ends my obligatory once a year post.
    Craig Duke

Thanks csdusk and Daryl for the replies. Yes I found the "Systems that WORK" thread, it is very helpfull. Thanks again.

Thumbs up Re: I'm ready to buy dedicated GS3 PC, please help.

I don't have one of these CPUs, but a friend of mine has a kick ~~~ GS3/Gaming computer built off of the Peniutm M780. Do a search at Toms Hardware.com for the audio benchmarking via. Steinberg also. I have no need for more than a few Blue Tubes VST FX, and 2 or 3 GigaPulse instances, but I run an engineering sample P4 3.4GHz Northwood oc'd at 233MHz, and his little CPU has way more VSTs, and GP instances than my big bad P4SCT+II GigaDaw. It pissed me off because he built mine, then told me about his " little M box". The new version of the Pentium M is the Core Duo Intel, w/ better SSE3 instructions. Sounds like a good choice for Tascam GVI. Only time will tell.

JV

Go Back to forum