• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What are they going to say ...

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy What are they going to say ...

about composers of today in twenty five, one hundred, two hundred or more years from now? Will they consider some of today's or maybe all, Masters? Will today's music be as much of an impact as it was hundreds of years ago? Ever wonder what will become of all your music - years, centuries from now? Just a thought that came over me.
    I'm up late tonight putting together music for a funeral tomorrow. The request is to have something subdue yet calming and on the "Western" style yet orchestral. I have chosen several from Aaron Croplands' "Billy The Kid" one of which to be played during communion. After, I am to play a recording of a song titled "Wagon Wheel" played by the deceased, my Uncle. Never knew he loved to play the harmonica as much as they told me last night. His family gave me a tape and asked me to fix it up so everyone can hear his playing. A fast job nevertheless, finished crudely but ready.
    My twin brother is to play a solo harmonica piece sometime during the mass. This has been one of the hardest musical requests so far. I think he'll like it.
    His sons tell me he has quite a bit of recordings of him playing his own music and others. Asking what will become of them, neither of them didn't know. I asked if I could have them to convert them to disc and possibly clean them up. I have a feeling I just saved my Uncle's songs from the trash heap or from never hearing them at all.
    It's late for me and I am afraid I will not be able to sleep. I've made three sets of music for tomorrow and now have to decide which is more appropriate.
    Which of the pieces I've paired off with his harmonica piece supports it best.
    Forgive me, It's been a long couple of days.
    Styxx

Re: What are they going to say ...

Keep you chin up Mike, I am sure your uncle will be proud of your help.
    I'm so sorry to learn of your loss.
    I will pray that you get some restful sleep, so go to bed.
    Celebrate his life tomorrow.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Keep you chin up Mike, I am sure your uncle will be proud of your help.
    I'm so sorry to learn of your loss.
    I will pray that you get some restful sleep, so go to bed.
    Celebrate his life tomorrow.
    Dan
    Thanks Dan. You wouldn't believe what I went through to clean up this audio. The tape had to be recorded when cassettes first came out. I used what I can but have to admit there were a few times where I could have used your expertise!
    Now, off to the funeral then get some sleep.
    Styxx

Hi Styxx,
    I hope everything went well at your uncles funeral today.
    Funerals are always so stressful, I hope you get some rest.

Dan

Hi, Styxx...

Hope you're bearing up well and that the recording was a hit.
    Hang in there, comrade...

Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Thumbs up Re: What are they going to say ...

Thanks guys! Man, it's nice to have good friends.
    Turns out the person most nervous today was my twin brother. He played "Amazing Grace" on the harmonica with no accompaniment. He never did anything like this before in or out of a church setting. We were up in the choir loft when he leaned over to me and said, "I'm really nervous. How do I get through this?" Funny, he's the guy that plays and sings in front of people every night and he's asking me.
    Well, I said ... gimme that dang thang....no, not really. I told him there was nothing to it. From the moment you start to play, just picture yourself in your usual setting with your band and it's just another harmonica solo. Ha! Little did I know he would start the song like Steve Wonder. No, just kidding. He did fantastically and the church ambience worked to his advantage.
    As for the recordings ... they were just perfect. For the subdue piece, I choose a piece of music written by our very own Beach who sent it to me some time ago. Everyone was very moved. Thanks Roberto!
    Yet, I must say the most touching part was the full honor guard of the U.S. Marines. Taps were played, the U.S. flag was folded with awesome precision and presented to my aunt with dignity and honor. I never knew he was a full Sergeant in the U.S. Marine Corps during WWII.
    Well, he's gone home. Life has it's way of letting you know to make the best because it's so sort.
    Thanks again guys.
    Styxx

Thank you for the report Styxx.
    It sounds like it was a very nice funeral, and you certainly had alot to do with that.

Having the Honor Guard during a funeral is always so impressive. It's even more amazing that your uncle never tooted his horn about his service to the country. How awesome is that!

God bless you Mike!!!!!!!
    Dan

I was just thinking (which is not very often) What if while folding the flag, half way through they noticed they did it wrong? Heck, it took them ten minutes (at least it seemed that long) to fold it. Never new they but empty shell casings in three corner folds of the flag.
    Styxx

I'm so sorry Styxx. I'm just now reading this thread.

It does take them a long time to fold the flag, but in doing so it makes a nice secure pocket for the shells to go into. I will agree with you though...The military part of the ceremony is the hardest (and most moving) part to bear - I don't know why (at least it was for me at my dad's funeral), but it is. You should feel proud knowing that very few people actually get to be honored in that way - he's special and

Steph

Thanks Steph. I was doing Ok until my twin started playing Amazing Grace and then all the childhood memories of when we use to go to his restaurant family parties. All of my cousins and I were in ruff shape after.
    Hey, if you want to get a good idea what my uncle looked like when he was in his twenties take a look at the character from the Sopranos, "Christopher". We couldn't believe the resemblance. Ha! It was the topic all day.
    You know, come to think of it ... where would all of us be if it weren't for your dad, my dad, and uncle who went through so much just to make sure we could live comfortably?
    Styxx

Go Back to forum