• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bluegrass for String quartet-Satan's Crown Jewel

Share/Bookmark

Bluegrass for String quartet

Hello all,

As an exercise in 4 part writing, I am switching Bluegrass over to string quartet. I don't know whether or not I will post them all. Anyway, here is the first one...Satan's Crown Jewel. Do not let the name fool you, this is a gospel song. A bluegrass standard if you will. I have not, per se, treated the 2 that I have worked on so far like bluegrass...not the standard tempos that sort of thing. Funny thing is that my sister-in-law did not recognize one of the songs until I had sped it up to 200 B.P.M.

Anyway, I think that, it is an interesting exercise. If you hear anything wrong with it let me know. I was watching for parallel 5ths and octaves, but it is hard when you bring in the main melody. I eagerly await your input.

Oh yeah, I do not think that doing this is to far out of line...after all look at all the stuff that is based on folk music.

Enjoy,
    Paul

Prowland the posting Ninja

Re: Bluegrass for String quartet-Satan's Crown Jewel

Fine job on this, Paul!

I'm not sure what you meant by "out of line" -- you're indeed correct that many composers have chosen folk and traditional tunes as the thematic basis for their pieces.

Enjoyed listening to this: Well done!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David,

I had not realized that anyone had checked this one out...sorry the reply took so long. The "out of line" comment was meant more as a commentary on the fact that (as far as I know) no one has worked with bluegrass like this. It seems unfair that good american music has been ignored like that. Mind you, they are pretty basic until they are played at their normal speed...i.e. breakneck speed. Anyway, good stuff. Do you think that there would be an interest in more of these in this forum. Judging from the number of people who have commented (you), there is not. Was it the song's name that has kept people away? Enough of my rambling...

thanks for always listening,
    Paul

Prowland the posting Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Prowland
    David,

I had not realized that anyone had checked this one out...sorry the reply took so long. The "out of line" comment was meant more as a commentary on the fact that (as far as I know) no one has worked with bluegrass like this. It seems unfair that good american music has been ignored like that. Mind you, they are pretty basic until they are played at their normal speed...i.e. breakneck speed. Anyway, good stuff. Do you think that there would be an interest in more of these in this forum. Judging from the number of people who have commented (you), there is not. Was it the song's name that has kept people away? Enough of my rambling...

thanks for always listening,
    The forum tends to have its own "weather", Paul -- and the past few days it appears to have had very mild winds... lol.

As for what the forum is interested in, that's simple: EVERYTHING! Absolutely nothing you can do with GPO would be out-of-bounds.

Bluegrass is certainly of interest, and I hope you'll do more with it. Most Bluegrass is built around traditional American themes, and it's definitely good grist for the mill.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I have to admit that GPO string quartets have started to irk me because of the solo strings' unrealistic constant vibrato... especially now that I've drooled quite a lot of the sound of that sweet solo strad. I can't wait for other string instruments... can you imagine how incredible a string quartet will sound?

That said... this sounds awesome!

I don't recognize the tune, but it works splendidly as a string quartet, as if it were meant to be one! I admit I can't give any feedback on the harmony since I'm still learning a lot of that myself, but from the messages my ears are giving me, it certainly sounds wonderful!

Bravo!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum