• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Topic: Harp packets error in C pent scale

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Harp packets error in C pent scale

    The C pentatonic scale seems to have an F#, G#, and A# in it! The augmented sound is not what I was hoping for. Is there an updated version of the harp packets midi file? I downloaded the latest version from Garritan.com but it seems to be the same as the original version.

    Or is there an easy way to fix this? I looked at the data and don't understand what is happening here. Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks.
    Steve
    Steve Barden
    www.SteveBarden.com
    "So....it's a profit deal!" - Navin R. Johnson

  2. #2

    Re: Harp packets error in C pent scale

    I'm away from the studio (at a conference) until Friday. I'll check it when I get back.

    Tom

  3. #3

    Re: Harp packets error in C pent scale

    Are you using a Mac with Digital Performer?

    I reported this problem with the C Scale in November. No one else could reproduce it, yet its still an issue here. For me, its the C Maj and for the notes reset themselves to a new value after the first play.

    REPORTED Nov 3, 2005

    In Digital Performer, I let the cursor play just past the C Maj harp packet data...

    I hit the C NOTE once. It plays a C, I hit it again. It plays a B.

    For some reason the scale resets itself to what seems to be B Maj, after the first note is struck.

    I back the cursor up. Play it over the data for a C Maj. C is C for a single strike, then, next strike, a B again.

    Easy to repeat this problem. I can't seem to get a C Maj glissando!

  4. #4

    Re: Harp packets error in C pent scale

    Quote Originally Posted by dynamix
    Are you using a Mac with Digital Performer?

    I reported this problem with the C Scale in November. No one else could reproduce it, yet its still an issue here. For me, its the C Maj and for the notes reset themselves to a new value after the first play.
    No, I'm using Sonar on a PC. My problem is simply that the notes in the scale are wrong. Using GPO for two years and this is the first time I've needed this scale!
    Steve Barden
    www.SteveBarden.com
    "So....it's a profit deal!" - Navin R. Johnson

  5. #5

    Re: Harp packets error in C pent scale

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    I'm away from the studio (at a conference) until Friday. I'll check it when I get back.

    Tom
    Hey, Tom, any news on the packets?

    Thanks.
    Steve Barden
    www.SteveBarden.com
    "So....it's a profit deal!" - Navin R. Johnson

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    349

    Re: Harp packets error in C pent scale

    Strange... presuming that I originally downloaded the same thing as you did, there is no problem with any of the scales derived from the MIDI packets here.. C pentatonic gives me.. C,D,E,Fb,G,A,B#.
    If you are interested, I also uploaded an extended set of standard MIDI files containing the Harp Packets...

    http://northernsounds.com/forum/show...p+MIDI+packets

    (I'm afraid there's quite a bit to plough through before eventually arriving at the link to the MIDI files themselves!)

  7. #7

    Re: Harp packets error in C pent scale

    Quote Originally Posted by bmpsound
    Hey, Tom, any news on the packets?

    Thanks.
    Nothing that will identify your problem. I have checked the original MIDI packets and the C pentatonic works correctly. I then tried the version that breaks them out by class and, again, they worked correctly. I then downloaded the packets from the Garritan site ( http://www.garritan.com/downloads.html ) and tried both the standard and Sonar versions (which splits them out by class) to be sure that something hadn't been inadvertently modified before posting. Both worked correctly. So, I would suggest three things:

    1. Make sure you are using only the Glissando version of the harps, not the chromatic (you probably are, but I needed to mention it.)
    2. Be sure that you are using the GPO version of the packets and not the older Giga version. They are not the same. The Giga version will not work correctly with the GPO harps.
    3. Download the GPO packets anew and try again.

    Tom

  8. #8

    Re: Harp packets error in C pent scale

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    1. Make sure you are using only the Glissando version of the harps, not the chromatic (you probably are, but I needed to mention it.)
    2. Be sure that you are using the GPO version of the packets and not the older Giga version. They are not the same. The Giga version will not work correctly with the GPO harps.
    3. Download the GPO packets anew and try again.

    Tom
    I'm not crazy. Really!

    I won't be able to check again until I go into the studio tomorrow afternoon. I'll look at everything you suggested.

    Thanks!
    Steve
    Steve Barden
    www.SteveBarden.com
    "So....it's a profit deal!" - Navin R. Johnson

  9. #9

    Re: Harp packets error in C pent scale

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    I then downloaded the packets from the Garritan site ( http://www.garritan.com/downloads.html ) and tried both the standard and Sonar versions (which splits them out by class) to be sure that something hadn't been inadvertently modified before posting.
    Tom,

    This is so weird!!! I did as you suggested: I downloaded the packets again. I tested on both Glissando 1 & 2 harps. It comes out as a whole tone scale for me. I'm using Sonar PE 5.

    I'm not sure what you mean by the "standard" and "Sonar" versions. When I load the packets into Sonar - just to be sure we're on the same page - the C pentatonic scale data is located on track 37 in measure 6. I have not checked all 122 tracks, but my random testing shows that every other scale I've tried is correct.

    Don't make me write in another key!

    (help)
    Steve Barden
    www.SteveBarden.com
    "So....it's a profit deal!" - Navin R. Johnson

  10. #10

    Re: Harp packets error in C pent scale

    Quote Originally Posted by bmpsound
    This is so weird!!! I did as you suggested: I downloaded the packets again. I tested on both Glissando 1 & 2 harps. It comes out as a whole tone scale for me. I'm using Sonar PE 5. When I load the packets into Sonar - just to be sure we're on the same page - the C pentatonic scale data is located on track 37 in measure 6.
    Weird indeed. I've just used Sonar PE 5, track 37 in measure 6, soloed the track, recorded harp notes after the packet had sent its data and got a C pentatonic scale played from the keyboard using Glissando Harp 1:

    www.garritan.com/support/CPentHarpGliss.mp3

    Here's the Sonar file:

    www.garritan.com/support/CPentHarpTest.cwp

    I'm not sure what you mean by the "standard" and "Sonar" versions. .
    On the Garritan support page you will find two entries. The first is the standard harp files with everything in one MIDI file. Farther down the same page you will find the Sonar version by class. I used the former for this test.

    See what you get when you try this. Frankly, if you use the same files and get whole tone scales I can't imagine what is going on since it appears to be just this one file that is misbehaving for you. As you can see, it works for me.

    Tom

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •