• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: George Clooney at the Academy Awards

Share/Bookmark

George Clooney at the Academy Awards

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    By the way, I really liked what he said as part of his speech:

"I would say that, you know, we are a little bit out of touch in Hollywood every once in a while. I think it's probably a good thing. We're the ones who talk about AIDS when it was just being whispered, and we talked about civil rights when it wasn't really popular. And we, you know, we bring up subjects. This Academy, this group of people gave Hattie McDaniel an Oscar in 1939 when blacks were still sitting in the backs of theaters. I'm proud to be a part of this Academy. Proud to be part of this community, and proud to be out of touch."

My sentiments entirely. ~~~~ "mainstream America."

Re: George Clooney at the Academy Awards

Yes! I would like to thank Hollywood for being a moral compass for America. Good thing we have something like the Academy to change our views and lead us in the right direction.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Good thing we have something like the Academy to change our views and lead us in the right direction.
    NAH!!! - the typical redneck "Bubba" down here in NW Florida is the true measure of moral greatness, racial/religious tolerance, and vision for the future of America!

;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Yes Sean, we'd be much better off with the ~~~~ values people like George Clooney rail against.

So now we're getting our values from people who play "make believe" for a living.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    So now we're getting our values from people who play "make believe" for a living.
    You're getting that now, with the current encumbent of the WH.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage59
    You're getting that now, with the current encumbent of the WH.

That is correct, also.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

I've heard that when Hattie got the award, she had to sit in the back at a separate table.

What you have is by and large some very bright people who have the public's attention taking advantage of that position to raise awareness about some very important issues.

That seems to me like a much better moral compass than a bunch of pedophiles who take young boys into their confidence and molest them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    What you have is by and large some very bright people who have the public's attention taking advantage of that position to raise awareness about some very important issues.

That seems to me like a much better moral compass than a bunch of pedophiles who take young boys into their confidence and molest them.
    This is the crux of any discussion about reality and otherwise. We live in societies that hide those who prey on the innocent, protected by the umbrella of religion or government, almost immune from prosecution because it's to do with 'god' or patriotism, and people are scared of upsetting their almighty or government, or the elected or self elected representatives of their almighty or nation, or being perceived as atheist, or unpatriotic, based on rules put in place by those seeking economic, moral, or administrative immunity.

A guy makes a film about paranoia, and witchhunting, based on the recorded truth, and it's make believe?

There's a rich irony in this.

I remember a good movie made many years ago, that reflected the natural prejudice we deal with each and every day, and the assumptions we make based on the news content we're given, coloured by our own education at home and elsewhere, by family, generational, and environmental assumption, and the method of reporting in the corporate media, driven by their own thrust for profit, and agenda of intent. I remember in the movie the automatic assumption of guilt based on skin colour, and racial stereotyping, based on paranoia intentionally generated by that self same conservative news media.

12 angry men still makes me think.

And it's a film that all too easily reflects the side or part of us we're not always comfortable with, but most importantly, at the time it challenged the media perspective and agenda, people were fed by those in charge. The connection between conservative news media, and administration is a long one, based on favours, bribes, mutual cartel based profit curves, etc.

Make believe?

Roll on the indy features that sometimes well, and sometimes not, talk about, and present ideas and events that get all too often swept under the carpet, or simply ignored by the masses.

Clooney got early bad press for being 'just' a soap star (another assumption), benefited hugely from being ugly and rough , something so many women seem to find attractive, but has really gone after directorship from an intelligent and determined non traditional studio perspective, and has turned out good film, often with the handicap of struggling against the airbrushed PC societies we live in, and the all controlling presence of the ultra conservative studio cartel.
    The man's matured, and i think we're going to be the better for it in the future with challenging films, made well. And if anyone was determined enough to change the course of film music to something far less mainstream, then i would think George, and others like him, would be listening ears for a new direction, just to emphasise the difference.

Hollywood got hijacked there for a while by the arch conservatives, and the output was pretty well moronic rubbish. Good to see the rebellion is gaining pace. If it continues, then it would be fair to expect a lot more indy being made, with reasonable budgets, and work for more, including us.

Alex.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast