• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: V S L - ??? :(

Share/Bookmark

V S L - ??? :(

OK, I'm probably going to draw some flak here... but...

I'm in the process of sorting out the kind of things I'll need to put together a decent orchestral package for composition - GS3, Sibelius, Cubase, etc, and of course I need to think of what sound library(s) to check out.

I've just visited the VSL website, and downloaded some of the sample MP3s to check out the sound of the VSL, mainly coz it seems quite popular with many people.

Now, is it me, or do their demos sound like they've been put together on a synthesizer? I'm sure I've heard better from other sample libraries, but the VSL has been touted as pretty much the dogs danglies by quite a few people. But I can't get past the feeling that the demos sound very synthetic... If they are what the VSL hope to sell their samples with, I certainly don't feel happy about the idea of spending 2500 UK pounds for the full orchestral symphony set...

So, what are the alternatives?

Re: V S L - ??? :(

There have to be a billion alternatives to VSL, and every one of them will sound "fake" or "synthy" to some degree. Theres Sonic Implants Symphonic Orchestra, Quantum Leap Orchestra (just to name a few), or you could build a set of String, brass ,ww, and percussion libraries from different developers. Just go listen to the demos at places like VSL, and

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    projectsam.com
    kirkhunterstidios.com
    sonicimplants.com
    bestservice.de (if youre outside the us)

All of them are the sites of well known libraries.

And you probably could have avoided all the moaning and bs people are going to give by simply asking what alternatives there were without commenting on VSL. I'm not one of those people, but im sure someone will complain. I hope this doesnt turn into one of those threads....

Edit: Seems as if im not supposed to mention the first one on my list....
    Jonathan Beil

MUSIC

Hehe, well I did kind of ask for a bit of flak I suppose. Anyway, I had been to the Sonic Implants site and downloaded some of their stuff, and it sounded 'just a tad' better than VSL to me... But maybe my ear isn't as tuned as others...

I also listened to some samples in a thread here that compared various basic sounds to Opus 1, and I really didn't like the sound of Opus 1...

Quote Originally Posted by Leftfield42
    OK, I'm probably going to draw some flak here... but...

I'm in the process of sorting out the kind of things I'll need to put together a decent orchestral package for composition - GS3, Sibelius, Cubase, etc, and of course I need to think of what sound library(s) to check out.

I've just visited the VSL website, and downloaded some of the sample MP3s to check out the sound of the VSL, mainly coz it seems quite popular with many people.

Now, is it me, or do their demos sound like they've been put together on a synthesizer? I'm sure I've heard better from other sample libraries, but the VSL has been touted as pretty much the dogs danglies by quite a few people. But I can't get past the feeling that the demos sound very synthetic... If they are what the VSL hope to sell their samples with, I certainly don't feel happy about the idea of spending 2500 UK pounds for the full orchestral symphony set...

So, what are the alternatives?
    Yes, you deserve to take some flak as there are some excellent demos on the VSL site, as well as on many others. If you don't like that sound then that's up to you, but you obviously have no idea what an orchestra sounds like so go with whatever sounds good to you.

I'm sure that I'll take some flak for that opinion.......

D

I'm going to be direct and honest here, no BS.

I've heard some pretty horrible VSL demos. I haven't checked the user demo page lately on the VSL site, so I don't know if they're posted up there (probably not). A sample library, in and of itself, will NOT get you a realistic sound. A lot of it is your own skill in tweaking MIDI notes, and your choice of articulations. If someone is bad at that, or just doesn't have the production quality to pull off a convincing sound, don't blame the library, blame the composer/mixer/producer.

The only thing I really dislike about VSL (I own Opus 1) is the legato strings. They're pretty bad. I challenge someone to use the perf-leg cello section and try to play it "out of the box" like you can with the woodwinds. Not possible. Lots of tweaking is needed to make it sound good.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    For newcomers to this technology, it's even more depressing. Keep in mind that most of these demos have been assembled by people who are very skilled in using these tools. Since you're new to orchestral samples, it will most likely take you a fair amount of time and effort before your personal results sound as good as these "synthetic" sounding demos.

Lee Blaske
    I agree with Lee on this one. Think of it as learning a new musical instrument. Don't blame the Selmer saxophone for sounding bad... blame the person playing it! You have to spend time learning to play the sample library, much like you would a new musical instrument!

Peace

rkp

Ditto Lee.......

The other option is to hire string players. What's there to complain about? You can always record and create your own lib, and or, just use the real thing. (isn't that blatantly obvious?)

This stuff doesn't sound real because it's not real. What the heck do you expect of something fake?

Plenty of options out there for ya. How much money you got?

BTW -- I'd like to go in with you ($$,$$$) if you plan to record your own lib. (Why? I'm not such a fan of the VSL sound either, but most of the work has been done for me. I find I reach for it more than any other lib I own whether it sounds worse than others or not is not something I care about) ---- Only with our lib all I wanna do in this is pay money. So the producing is on you, the location, the players, editing and tweaking is all on you, or whoever you hire to do it. All you gotta do is convince me that you can pull it off, then I write you a check and we sign a contract with a due date. And maybe I fly out to the location to sip tea while you bust azz recording and producing this thing. I'll be ok with executive (and co) producer credit.

Then we'll sell it and kill VSL at the box office.........

Easy solution, no?

Don't try to play the victim here............ no one's gonna buy it.

Actually some of the latest VSL demos sound very fake in my opinion and almost all the classical mockups sound fake too...VSL is a great library , but for someone that is really used to real orchestras it will never get to the point of convincing people...
    ...but you missed the fact that critics from a newcomer here will never be respected!!!
    The VSL demos show accurately what the library can do and can´t do , if you don´t like them you may check some other opitions available!!!
    Leo
    Leandro Gardini - classical/orchestral composer

Pacific Ocean - http://www.pacificocean.com.br

I think EWQLSO shows off some pretty good demos....IMHO.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

I think VSL is a very ironic library. Why? Because the people who love it too much don't "question" it, use it completely as-is, and come up with synthy material. But on the other hand, the ones who recognize the flaws and figure out what causes this synthiness and how to fix it (or support it with other libraries) yield far more impressive results. I think the VSL creators really want people to use it in the latter way, they aren't trying for an out-of-the-box experience so much as a highly transformable product. Listening to an as-is VSL sample and unquestionably claiming that's as close to reality as it gets is, I think, somewhat misguided and untrue to the creators' motives.

(btw, sorry if I'm making a series of uncharacteristically blunt posts / online conversations tonight, I just spent 7 hours singlehandedly building furniture for someone else who didn't even help out, only to come home and find out my score got cut from a film I'd worked on b/c the producer decided he wanted to give composition a shot )
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast