• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Free verb VST for now?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Free verb VST for now?

HI there,

Until VSL comes out with their MIR, I need a free verb (just for monitoring during writing) for 4 PC slaves running the new VI.

Any recommendations? Doesn't have to be perfect. When I am finished writing the files are transferred to the Host and there properly mixed with room IR's.

Thanks in advnce.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Re: OT: Free verb VST for now?

Rob, go to waves.com...They have a 30 day trial, I believe it is still good....They have some outstanding verb..Let me know how you make out..

Quote Originally Posted by mech289
    Rob, go to waves.com...They have a 30 day trial, I believe it is still good....They have some outstanding verb..Let me know how you make out..

Thanks - Waves is top drawer for sure but I need something (just for monitoring) for about 6 months (until MIR is released).

Something like this

http://www.anwida.com/product.asp?pid=7

(this just might be OK - haven't tried it yet)

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

By far the best free reverb is Ambience. It sounds really good. Only problem is that the presets suck, you you have to make your own in order for it to sound any good.

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/707.html
    Jonathan Beil

MUSIC

I like SIR for impulse stuff and Glace Reverb for special effects and Anwida Soft for all-around warmth for any application.

I enjoyed the Waves for the bass verb, really added a lot to the sound of the strings..

Quote Originally Posted by Kanjika
    By far the best free reverb is Ambience. It sounds really good. Only problem is that the presets suck, you you have to make your own in order for it to sound any good.

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/707.html

Thanks Jonathan - any advance on what needs tweaking the most (your experience).

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

I second the motion on using Ambience, it's absolutely amazing. You'll first wanna tweak the decay time and size, then the width, and then just make sure your wet/dry levels are acceptable to you. Save a preset when you find a nice groove, or maybe save several different presets for different parts of the orchestra if you want - it's not as much of a room simulator as TrueVerb, so having different verbs for each section is more reasonable here. For orchestral stuff, you probably don't need to worry too much about the reverb gating if you don't want to (I never had to), and you'll probably want the CPU/quality knob set to 100%. Adjust damping and EQ if you want, too.

But seriously, Ambience > absolutely everything else that's free, and most commercial ones as well. You'll probably have to use a different mindset than you do when you use convolution though.
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

I've been hearing great things for this reverb that is slowly becoming more and more popular, they have a trial version that interrupts the sound with an occasional BEEEEEEEEEEEEP.

Rayspace:

http://www.quikquak.com/

Why chose RaySpace over other reverbs?

1. Simply the sound. Most reverbs, have a distinct 'greyness' to them, some even a ringy tone.
    RaySpace is smooth and rich, with a massively layered sound.
    2. Instantly captures objects and movements in the rooms. No other reverb does this without
    'cheating' with crossfades.
    2. Incredibly flexible and with visual feedback. You can actually see the rooms, not banks of graphs
    and meaningless numbers found on other reverbs.
    3. Low on CPU usage, even on long reverbs, unlike convolution techniques.
    4. Accurate surround sound responses with no need for tidying up.
    5. Cheap! For all these features, and fantastic sound quality - only $90.
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    I've been hearing great things for this reverb that is slowly becoming more and more popular, they have a trial version that interrupts the sound with an occasional BEEEEEEEEEEEEP.

Rayspace:

http://www.quikquak.com/
    I just tried it, and IMO it's terrible. It just sounds cheap and the reverb isn't the least bit spacious, but rather like it was run through a stereo enhancer set to mono. The little build your own room thing doesnt make it great either. It also seems to be very ringy, even though it claims to be smooth.
    Jonathan Beil

MUSIC

Go Back to forum