• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pianos...what would *you* do?

Share/Bookmark

Pianos...what would *you* do?

Okay, I imagine I'm not the only one in the "piano of the month" club when it comes to the arsenal of libs out there. I don't have all of them, but I'm pretty well equipped with some of the "majors" such as Emporer, Old Lady, TBO, and various uprights. Fact is, I want more!

I've made plenty great use of what I have, and each has their strong points, but there are still some gaps. I'm particularly interested in the ArtVista, more Sampletekk, Vintaudio, etc... but here is the crossroad I stand at...

I am currently a HALion user. This is without the benefit of the scripts and convolution I keep hearing about in Kontakt. Would I be better suited (and see more benefit) to crossgrade to Kontakt to enhance the librares I already have, or take that money to expand my libraries with the previous mentioned ones I have my eyes on?

I don't have the opportunity to play first hand, so it is all kind of a guess. I know you guys are having a blast with Kontakt, and the question is am I missing out that much, and is the greater benefit to my current libraries than to more "flavors"?

Thanks for any suggestions!

-Tweed

Re: Pianos...what would *you* do?

I dont have any comment on Kontakt or other players - but if you want more pianos get AltaVista Malmsjö if you dont already have it.

Its an old library so in complexity its far behind some of the newer stuff, but its tone is fantastic. Very mellow and Thomas Newman like

I've heard a lot of good on that library! (as well as a lot of good things about Hans)

I'm curious as to what sampler/player you're using. Thanks!

Hans makes wonderful piano libraries. They have a magic rich sound. Highly recommended.

And I would seriously consider Kontakt2 if you are into pianos.
    The advantages are well worth the investment.

You could start by downloading the Kontakt 2 trial and our Kontakt 2 demo of Hybrid piano:
    http://www.native-instruments.com/in...?id=kontakt_us
    http://www.postpiano.com/hybdemo/

You can test drive all the goodies for free.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Thanks Michiel, I can't believe I never noticed there was actually a demo version available!

This will certainly be useful in my decision making. Many thanks.

-Tweed (Scott)

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Post
    Hans makes wonderful piano libraries. They have a magic rich sound. Highly recommended.

And I would seriously consider Kontakt2 if you are into pianos.
    The advantages are well worth the investment.

You could start by downloading the Kontakt 2 trial and our Kontakt 2 demo of Hybrid piano:
    http://www.native-instruments.com/in...?id=kontakt_us
    http://www.postpiano.com/hybdemo/

You can test drive all the goodies for free.
    The ArtVista Virtual Grand has its own player, one of the Kompakts, so it would not be an issue for you. I love it.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

I've reached the point where I don't count on any conversions. That means using native samples which in turn means having the "native" samplers. I've got Kontakt and GS2.5 to cover my needs for now. Eventually I'll upgrade to GS3.

One option is piano's that come with they're own players. Be aware that the standalone Kontakt based instruments may not work properly in Kontakt itself.

Some samplers have a registration system that allows them to be de-registered and sold so sometimes you can find a good deal at a certain internet auction site.

Ernie

I really love Kontakt 2. Here is an example of what the result can be with K2.

Go Back to forum