• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: The Music Tidal Wave - how will it shake out?

Share/Bookmark

The Music Tidal Wave - how will it shake out?

This topic is related to the other idea I just posted about the future of the music business.

With powerful computers and wonderful DAW, sequencing, sampling software, and virtual instruments...the "instruments of production" have been put into the hands of artists that would never have access to a professional recording studio before.

We therefore now see a tidal wave of music on the Web today. A lot of it is VERY GOOD. And even more of it is mediocre.

Here's what I see happening:
    1. People get one of these tools and noodle around on it.
    2. They find that by pressing a few keys they get a really cool, professional sounding riff.
    3. They play that riff for about 4 minutes and call it a song.
    4. Then they add some unimaginative lyrics.
    Then they upload it to SoundClick, AcidPlanet etc.

By the hundreds of thousands!

Does that mean those of us who take the time to learn how to write really good songs are doomed to be swamped by the masses of mediocrity?

No! See my post about the Future of the Music Industry (http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=43349).

I really think that the "recommendation/filtering systems" being provided and refined by Amazon and all the rest of the major online stores...these will help the good stuff rise to the top.

I believe that.

What do you think? Thoughts? What has your experience been?

Re: The Music Tidal Wave - how will it shake out?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn

Does that mean those of us who take the time to learn how to write really good songs are doomed to be swamped by the masses of mediocrity?
    No, it means we already have.

Quote Originally Posted by dpc
    No, it means we already have.
    Dave,

Did you read all of the post?

All my exposure to young people right now indicates that they largely are actually very interested in musicality and quality. And the system that keeps them hooked in to the good stuff in the net is simple word of mouth- you find something cool, you email and post it around. Just like we might do with a funny video. So I think that's the mechanism that will really drive things- random hits, then a consensus. The intelligent recommendations and "customers who bought this also bought" things on Amazon are a definite factor as well.

I don't think Soundclick is much of a force, except when people are specifically driven to a page (like me having mine in my sig). Most of the quality music on there is buried 200 pages down if you just go by their charts. It's awful. Soundclick isn't a resource kids take seriously. MySpace is though.

Yes, Word of Mouth.

See how Blogs and bloggers are replacing magazines as the new determiners of culture, how networking on myspace connects like musicians, and by extention, their fans.

Soundclick is a bad system and akin to burial, with no real meaning behind it's results. But new and better systems put the power into the hands of the user (musician/music lover) to distribute... and with mp3's and different ways of thinking about what music is as a product... way more the artist can do to get it 'out there'.

The problem is definitely NOT the "mediocre masses". I like the idea that art can be democratic - give it a chance - who knows where anyone will end up - we were ALL crappy at some point. But it does bother me that it swamps out and overwhelms, and basically might turn off listeners not willing to do an incredible amount of boring, irritating digging. No, the problem is the system, and there is a lot of development in that area that means the future looks pretty bright!

Pessimists are saying 'I doubt it'll be more than pennies'... well, I think the possibility of artists actually earning a decent living is there (or at least supplementing one), certainly the chances are better than the flood all chasing the same few labels for the same short term record deals!

This kind of discussion is the reason for the OT forum - can it be moved there?

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie
    This kind of discussion is the reason for the OT forum - can it be moved there?

Ernie

Sorry if this was the wrong section for this type of discussion. I was looking at the existing discussions in this section and it seemed that people were dicussing general music issues.

But sure, moving it is fine by me.

Technically, I guess it does belong in the OT area- but it wil die down there. I hope it gets to stay here; there are plenty of off topic but music biz related threads that get to stay up here in the nice part of town

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Technically, I guess it does belong in the OT area- but it wil die down there. I hope it gets to stay here; there are plenty of off topic but music biz related threads that get to stay up here in the nice part of town
    I am with you, Fred.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    I have just looked again, and it seems that all I needed to do to be "legal" here was make the title: "OT: The Music Tidal Wave - how will it shake out?"

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast