• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: can't decide... why should I go for GS3?

Share/Bookmark

can't decide... why should I go for GS3?

Hi everybody,

I've been thinking about it and the more I think I just can't seem to decide.
    I thought I'd go for the GigaStudio3 Ensemble but seeing it has so much issues made me think I should go with my first choise - Kontakt 2.
    But still, all I hear is Giga and so many people are using GigaStudio even though it has so many problems, Why?!

What's so great about this software?
    I have a second machine which I will dedicate to the GS3 but still, why should I get it and not go for K2?

Thanks alot mates,
    Yoav

Re: can't decide... why should I go for GS3?

There are people who have problems with both K2 and GS3. In the end it comes down to which you prefer using. I have both, as do many people, and stability aside, I still prefer the interface (and features) of GS.

However, the scripting abilities of K2 appeals to a lot of people, so I think that you just have to read as much as possible and see which you prefer. Neither are so expensive that you can't afford to try both, and both come with a selection of instruments so that you won't have to buy any samples that may be wasted when you make your choice.

D

Quote Originally Posted by yoav3994
    Hi everybody,

But still, all I hear is Giga and so many people are using GigaStudio even though it has so many problems, Why?!

What's so great about this software?
    I have a second machine which I will dedicate to the GS3 but still, why should I get it and not go for K2?

Thanks alot mates,
    Yoav
    That is interesting. I'm always hearing that GigaStudio users have so many problems.

Am I the only lucky one, who doesn't have problems with GigaStudio and I'm using it for years.
    Are there still other lucky GigaStudio users on this planet?
    Where are you?
    Please let me know. I hope, I'm not the only one.

BTW: I use Kontakt 2 and Independence too. But GS3 is still my favourite!

:-) Jovan
    the man with the blue guitar

I'm a complete novice at this but I've had GS3 for 3 months now and for the last 2 months it has been crash free. Not sure but I think the key was to have a fresh install of XP as Tascam suggests. I don't think it liked all the other trash that was on the drive from 2 years of loading programs and deleting. Also finding the right settings for your host, in my case Sonar, handled any unstability that was present.

Dave M

Quote Originally Posted by commalot
    I'm a complete novice at this but I've had GS3 for 3 months now and for the last 2 months it has been crash free. Not sure but I think the key was to have a fresh install of XP as Tascam suggests. I don't think it liked all the other trash that was on the drive from 2 years of loading programs and deleting. Also finding the right settings for your host, in my case Sonar, handled any unstability that was present.

Dave M

I aggree, I use GS3 on an own partition with an own XP, only notation & sequencer programs, no MS Office and so non.
    It works perfect. Much less crashes than K2.
    I also use SONAR 5 PE. But this pregram is allways a source for crashes together with K2, Albino2, Independence, Camel5000 & GS3 in rewire mode.
    I don't know why, but it is not a reason of GS3.

the man with the blue guitar

I aggree, I use GS3 on an own partition with an own XP, only notation & sequencer programs, no MS Office and so non.
    I'm sure it would run even smoother in this case however in my setup I have lots of other software loaded. I do video editing, Photoshop, all internet actions, Word, etc. and it is still crash free. I have all the latest updates for GS and XP. When I first installed it I was having crashes constantly but after initializing the drive and freshly loading everything - no problems.

Dave M

I had problems with a Raid0 configuration on my computer ....Once I got it figured out , and reloaded everything , I have not had ANY problems with GS3 at all, and have upgraded versions right along .... I will be getting K2 but not because I don't like GS3, but because I want to check it out .... I have also heard from user's of both that GS3 runs a lot more efficiently..... Im sure there are good and bad things to be said for both programs...Right now I have GS3 running on the same computer as programs that have Kompakt players built in, and have no problems at all with GS3 or Kompakt player programs.....I don't use them at the same time, but they work well when used individually..
    Jim

I have seen complaints about K2 on every single forums that I've visited.
    I'm not kidding here and very few about Giga 3 in comparison. I will also get it soon cause i need to tweak some ew's samples and want to check it out too...I'm crossing my finger here.

I didn't mean to bash K2 that's just what i saw.

Quote Originally Posted by jovan
    That is interesting. I'm always hearing that GigaStudio users have so many problems.

Am I the only lucky one, who doesn't have problems with GigaStudio and I'm using it for years.
    Are there still other lucky GigaStudio users on this planet?
    Where are you?
    Please let me know. I hope, I'm not the only one.

BTW: I use Kontakt 2 and Independence too. But GS3 is still my favourite!

I have used Giga 2.54 for several years on dedicated PC's using Win 98 without any problems, but editing is much easier with K2, never bothered with G3 as there were so many negative reports.

Been running GS3 for maybe a year now, before that it was 2.53 for a long while. I run two licenses on different machines and it is still perfect. I haven't seen a crash or any goofs in so long, it was one apartment and two houses ago when last I saw a blue screen of death from GS. And I do push the heck out of both machines constantly.

My friend happens to be the NI rep in this area, and he's told me of K2's occasional issues, which I hear about far more often than I do GS. I intended to get going with K2 not that long ago, but have not had the time to get around to it yet. I specifically want to play with scripting, and get my Kompakt libraries moved into the single player locally on my daw. If you've got GS3, K2 is still probably worth getting, and vice versa.

GS seems to get a bad rap due to its very specific guidlines for hardware. Ironically, this is just saying that if you build a pc or buy it according to specs, it will run amazingly stable. Leaving it setup this way and only modifying the sample content as you add more drives/libraries will yield no change over time at all. It should still work perfectly.

K2 will probably be used much more often locally than on its own pc, at least compared to GS. So it makes sense that as a primary DAW gets new software, changes and upgrades to hardware, reformats and reinstalls, etc, over time it opens up more holes for an error or quirkiness to pop up for K2's needs.

Generally I've heard K2 runs great tho, so I'd say if you were wanting to use more than one pc, maybe GS is a good way to go, if you'd like to use a single daw then K2 would be better I'd think. Or you could wait a bit for GS3 to arrive as a VST.

For the record, I tried using GS3 via rewire on my sequencer machine, but I didn't like it. While it never really crashed, it just felt a little buggy to me, and historically, GS doesn't play well with other software on the same machine. It wants your whole PC, but it gives so much more than any of the other samplers out there with regards to the number of instruments you can load and play at the same time.

Sorry for the lengthy post, just my rambling opinion based on use and exposure. I doubt you'll go wrong with either program really.

Go Back to forum