• Register
  • Help

Topic: getting the best on a mac advice please

Share/Bookmark

getting the best on a mac advice please

This is about my third question today!!!!!!

I want to run GPO with sibelius on my powerbook (1.5Ghz) (the sample library is on ExHD). I have started trying to do this today. When I load more than a few instruments it sounds like a darlic! How should I set things up (buffers etc) to get the most intruments playing as possible, with a reasonable quality sound??

How many instruments can I realistically expect to use?

I am not really a computer wizz so I would be greatful for any help.... ESPECIALLY IF IT IS IDIOT PROOF!!!!!

Thanks
    Martin

Re: getting the best on a mac advice please

Quote Originally Posted by martin cox

I want to run GPO with sibelius on my powerbook (1.5Ghz) (the sample library is on ExHD). I have started trying to do this today. When I load more than a few instruments it sounds like a darlic! How should I set things up (buffers etc) to get the most intruments playing as possible, with a reasonable quality sound??
    Here is a pdf of a little tip sheet I wrote for Macs. Perhaps it might help.
    http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/lark...info_sheet.pdf

On a Powerbook, you probably wont get too many instruments.

Best of luck,

Karl

Karl,

I found your tipsheet very interesting. One question: why set Sleep to "never"? I'm curious as to why that would have an effect on GPO. Not a challenge - you know much more about a Mac than I do (although that's not too hard ).

Thanks,

Ron

The Idea is that you want to keep your computer as quiet as possible. The more little things that go on, that your processor has to keep track of, while it should be working on creating your music, the more it will slow down. Sure something like this won't matter so much if you have the fastest G5, but on older Macs taken together all the things I pointed out will have a small drain on your PowerBook's efficiency.

Karl

Thanks, Karl. As for keeping the Mac quiet, i.e., at minimal workload, I do wish it were possible to make it quiet. I have a G5 iMac, and my one complaint is that the fan noise is too loud; can't really hear that at the Apple store...

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by martin cox

How many instruments can I realistically expect to use?

I am not really a computer wizz so I would be greatful for any help.... ESPECIALLY IF IT IS IDIOT PROOF!!!!!

Thanks
    Martin
    I'm running with Sibelius 3 but I'm sure this is relevant for later versions

The 3 things that boosted my performance most were done within Sibelius:

1) go into view > textures and set both the desk and the paper to "Use color" (textures ramp up the cpu's graphics work?)

2) go into view > smoothing and set the slider all the way left to "none"

3) in the play menu go to playback options turn off the Kontakt player that comes with Sibelius 3.

I'm not computer saavy enough to know exactly why but those 3 things helped a lot

I think it just cuts out a big chunk of unnecessary workload. The Kontakt player that came with Sib 3 only gave me headaches anyway and the instruments next to GPO were basically uglyrific

4) also I was going to set up with sounds on external HD and everyone I talked to said not necessary and probably not even good

If those are any help break out the limoncino or the 20 year port and drink a toast to Gary Garritan et al

By quiet, I wasn't being literal. You just have to cut down on every possible call programs no matter how small make to your processor. Turn off absolutely every unnecessary thing your Mac does as stated on the sheet I gave above.

As for keeping your computer really quiet, there has been much said here as to how to isolate a computer. Do a search and you will find many posts about how some of us handle computer noise.

When I had my studio not long ago, I actually had it in an adjoining room. It was wonderful. I have to figure out what to do in my new digs, since I have some live recording to do before long. There is just nothing like a soundproof studio. As I'm writing, a train just went by. It was at a distance, but my Neumann mics are so dang sensitive...

Karl

Go Back to forum