• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Business card CDs?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Business card CDs?

Hey guys,

Have any of you had any experiences with business card CDs? Will they really work in most CD players (audio or computer), are they big enough for me to put a paper business card in there with the CD, and would a simple vinyl sleeve be adequate or should I invest in the actual little cases for each of them?

Thanks!
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Re: OT: Business card CDs?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Roget
    Hey guys,

Have any of you had any experiences with business card CDs? Will they really work in most CD players (audio or computer), are they big enough for me to put a paper business card in there with the CD, and would a simple vinyl sleeve be adequate or should I invest in the actual little cases for each of them?

Thanks!
    Will,
    I used business card sized CDs for demo giveaways at NAMM a couple of years ago. I used the transparent sleeve that came with each of them and it worked fine. The sleeves for the CDs I used are big enough to fit a business card.

Gary Garritan

Whew, thanks a bunch! You might've just saved me a lotta money
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Where do you recommend getting these things?

Jerry

I thought that this might be a good idea many years ago...but the more I learned about how people usually listen to demo CDs and material...the more I came to the conclusion that it would not be worth the investment...even a small one.

But you have to decide that for yourself. In general...in L.A. anyway...most people listen to demo CDs in their cars while driving somewhere. The business card CDs are not compatible with slot loading CD players at all. They have to be used in a CD player with a tray mechanism. The fact that you would be eliminating a good portion of your target audience (who listens to these things in the car), I don't think it is worth it. I think one should spend their money insuring that their demos are compatible with the most amount of players as possible. That is one of the top requests I have heard from producers and directors. Make sure the CD or DVD demo plays on everything...the minute it doesn't, it goes right in the trash.

Also...they frequently sit stacked on a shelf. Make sure the spine is labeled appropriately so you can tell what it is and who you are from the spine. Using thin CD cases, (or in the case of business card CDs) this is not an option. Therefore I highly recommend regular CD jewel cases and standard DVD "Amaray" cases with legible spine labeling.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

(@ Brian)

That is a good point about the CDs played in peoples cars, but in this case it *might* be different - basically I'm making these bizcard CDs to be handed out at the Gamedev Conference, in the same way that I'd give someone a business card. Someone else gave me the idea for this and at first I had the same concern you have about playability, but now I realize that since it's a conference people will be walking around a lot and don't wanna be bogged down by full CDs as much. Plus I figure most of them will be flying in instead of driving. However you are completely correct; my "proper" demo will be an actual CD audio disc.

(@ Jerry)

I'm going to http://www.genesysdtp.com to get stuff, the site is very helpful and has a ton of different options and products. Just for reference, my budget for these bizcard CDs is coming out to about $22 (for fifty of them, including vinyl sleeves and glossy labels). I paid just about that much to buy paper business cards too, at printsmadeeasy.com. Hope this helps!
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Go Back to forum