• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: first post in this section

Share/Bookmark

Concertino for harpsichord

A fellow forum member was very kind to give me a little room on his server to store a few of my pieces, and he suggested I share them with the GPO community.
    So this is a concertino I wrote as a gift to a friend. It's not my usual style, although I think that my handiwork shines through - like my propensity for fugal passages and some harmonically ambiguous passages.
    The first two movements are played without pause - a sort of sonata-allegro, and a canzona (Adagio). The finale is a baroque fantasia, a very loose rondo built on a fugal exposition.
    Apparently some people like this piece so here goes.

http://evensongmusic.net/audio/qccow...certino1+2.mp3

http://evensongmusic.net/audio/qccow...oncertino3.mp3
    Last edited by qccowboy; 03-04-2006 at 12:02 PM. Reason: (title change)

Re: first post in this section

You bet we are some people, who like it! It is great music Standing ovations and a bunch of virtual flowers

How about the wind quintet. I think it would fare well on this forum. Do you want me to upload it and send you some links?

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    You bet we are some people, who like it! It is great music Standing ovations and a bunch of virtual flowers

How about the wind quintet. I think it would fare well on this forum. Do you want me to upload it and send you some links?
    LOL
    well, it's in the same place as the concertino....
    I just didn't want to rush into posting like half my catalogue in 5 minutes!
    but it'll come up pretty soon.

Yeah, I just noticed you've already got it uploaded. Don't hold it back then _

Thumbs up Re: first post in this section

YAAAAY!

I'm so glad you have shared this piece with us, Michel - it is a PERFECT example of what kind of good results can be had from ONLY using Finale and being meticulous about your scoring.

Folks, this was rendered from Michel's Finale 2006 files that I have - the only editing before I converted to mp3 was to join the 1st and 2nd mvts in SoundForge, since they are supposed to play without a break. There's no smoke and mirrors here, just VERY careful editing of the score.

I am pleased that he has allowed me to host his files - I really wanted you all to have a listen to this wonderfully crafted music!

All the best,

at some point I'll send you the symphony.. a considerably larger undertaking. I have trouble rendering a WAV file of it, I suspect my computer, while quite fast, is just not fast enough.. I get some minor skipping here and there.

As you said, this was rendered in Finale 2006, and ONLY Finale 2006, no sequencing, and no fiddling with the MIDI tool or anything. You are hearing the score exactly as it is written. Although I must admit that the score needs a bit of layout fine-tuning. I was recopying the score from a hard copy I had of this concertino that was originally done in Finale 3.7. All I did was enter the notes and tempi exactly as they were marked in the original score. There was some minor editing from the original, for example the addition of baroque ornamentation and a few corrections to some of the contrapuntal lines in the harpsichord part. But definately no "tweaking" in a sequencer.

Ah! A fellow Finale-only user.

Once again (just posted in your Suite For Wind Quintet thread)... Bravo!

These are, both, compositionally excellent works! First-rate craftsmanship; and a delight to the ear, as well.

With applause,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Well, even though I'm an avid Overture 4 user (sarcasm); i must say your work is excellent. Enjoyed the Harpsichord in a little bit more modern approach and setting. Flawless; kept my attention... very satisfying. Thank you for sharing...

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hi Michel

Nice to see (hear) you here. Nice concertino. It sounds very playable. This is a nice forum to get your music perused. I enjoyed listening to your music. I especially enjoy our dialogue over at the Composer Forum.

See you there, also.

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer
    Hi Michel

Nice to see (hear) you here. Nice concertino. It sounds very playable. This is a nice forum to get your music perused. I enjoyed listening to your music. I especially enjoy our dialogue over at the Composer Forum.

See you there, also.
    yes, it's quite playable - I'm a pianist by training - but somehow I'm a little uncomfortable that it feels a little like generic keyboard writing. Since I don't really know enough about the harpsichord's full potential I didn't use any of the stops. I had originally written a number of passages in octaves and was told by a harpsichordist that that was very uncharacteristic, so those got changed.

Originally, the concertino was designed to be performed by the harpsichord with 9 musicians as the accompaniment - the flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon and a string quintet. This was the size of the ensemble that premiered it around 10 years ago (with yours truly at the harpsichord.. going nuts because I had never really performed in public on that instrument).

I decided to augment the string sound a little by using sectional strings for the recording, and I actually prefer it played by a slightly larger ensemble of this sort. I should make another recording but with a "built" string section. I've already used this capability of GPO in my master's thesis, and was VERY pleased with the results - 22 solo strings sounding like a REAL chamber orchestra. So this is a possibility for fiddling around with the concertino over the next few weeks.

I'm so glad I discovered GPO.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast