• Register
  • Help

Topic: custom PCs to run K2...

Share/Bookmark

custom PCs to run K2...

I'm seeing several posts about new PCs built specifically for libs (in this case K2). My studio is primarily Mac-based with one P4 delegated to some specific apps. I'd like to add an XP PC to run K2 and orchestra libs (KHSO emerald, primarily).

What PCs would be good to dedicate to K2? If custom is the way to go, what resources are recommended?

Input much appreciated!

Exclamation Re: custom PCs to run K2...

guillm,
    I'm running K2 on a Mac without any problems at this time. I had a rocky start but things are smooth for the time being. I don't run it as a stand alone and so far so good.
    MotuHari--DP 4.61, Reason, Stylus RMX, Kontakt2, VGEE, GPO, Mac B&W G3w/G4 Upgrade, Keystation Pro 88

Re: custom PCs to run K2...

Quote Originally Posted by guillm
    I'm seeing several posts about new PCs built specifically for libs (in this case K2). My studio is primarily Mac-based with one P4 delegated to some specific apps. I'd like to add an XP PC to run K2 and orchestra libs (KHSO emerald, primarily).

What PCs would be good to dedicate to K2? If custom is the way to go, what resources are recommended?

Input much appreciated!
    Check this out:http://www.adkproaudio.com/systems/D...orkstation.cfm these guy build music PC for a living and you can see the component they use , very generous of them don't you think?

Thumbs up Re: custom PCs to run K2...

VISIONDAW These guys are the best. I have 6 computers from them and they ALL have been rock solid-plug & play. Don't mess around with the others, or build it yourself. It's money well spent.

And no, they aren't related!

Mr. A.

Thank you all for your input.
    Ultimately I likely get an XP box built and your recommendations will be helpful. In the meantime, I've installed K2 on my G5, have been importing libraries and generally getting a sense of how much I'll be able to run in K2 as a plug inside DP.
    Then it'll be on to a dedicated PC for a larger orchestral template.
    Thanks again.

For what it's worth, I'm a lifelong Mac guy, but I decided to try and build my own PC as a hobby, just to see how far I could get. I eventually ended up with an OK P4 2.4gHz computer, and then decided to put K2 on it and use it as a softsynth machine.

I've personally found it to be quite the headache. I had to reinstall the OS multiple times, and both the audio and MIDI interfaces (both MOTU) took multiple installations before they were properly recognized. I finally did get K2 up and running on it, but it doesn't appear to perform much better than it does on my G4/dual 1.25 -- in fact, it performs a little worse.

In the end it was an interesting exercise, and I'm always working to try and tweak it out to perform better, but in the end, I wasted months of time on this and I could have just bought another Mac and it would have worked so much better.

Of course, a lot of this was due to me not being PC-savvy -- a PC expert likely would have been able to do this much faster than me. But the end result did not overly impress me.

I would trust one of those pre-built PC's for audio if you can afford them. Otherwise, if I was in your shoes, I'd just buy another Mac. The cost is probably roughly equivalent, because those pre-built audio PC's are not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by guillm
    I've installed K2 on my G5, have been importing libraries and generally getting a sense of how much I'll be able to run in K2 as a plug inside DP.
    When you figure this out, can you report on it here, including the specs on that G5? I'm interested because I'm about to do the same thing.

Thanks,
    Amy

I just looked back at this thread (since I've been running K2 on my G5 or externally, on a PC) and saw some new posts.

Thankyou, David for your thoughts on building a new PC for K2. I recently set up a P4 3g machine with an old 2408 MOTU interface and a new micro lite MIDI interface. I also installed a PCI FW card and SATA drive. For me, XP isn't my idea of fun, but I'm getting it to work just fine as a K2 playback box. I also picked up your book and found it very helpful learning K2 (kudos!)

Amy, my G5 is last year's 2.7g dual proc model with 2.5g RAM and an additional 350g SATA drive. OS is 10.4.5 and I run DP4.61 as well as PTLE and a bunch of VIs and other plugs. K2 is works comfortably in DP, however, I've only used it as a plugin for a few instruments and generally smaller orchestration. For larger work; I use the external PC as the K2 'orchestra' box.

Go Back to forum