• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: bow noise

Share/Bookmark

bow noise

How can I reduce the level of string noise? I do not (yet) have an expression pedal if this is relevant.

Great product, by the way! When will you do viola, cello and bass?

Re: bow noise

Hi nicjones,

Someone else will have to answer your string-noise question, but I would like to say welcome to the forum. We're glad you like the Strad. It truly is great, and a giant leap for sampling kind. Hang in there, your wish for other strings will come in due time. So for now, have fun with your new-found violin, make some music, and post it here.

Karl

Not having an expression pedal is very relevant to the level of bow noise your hearing. I had the same problem as you i didnt receive my specially ordered expression pedal till 2 days after receiving the strad and couldnt resist installing the strad without the pedal :-)...the sound without pedal is very 'thin' and 'scratchy' and very dissappointing. If you have programmable sliders or knobs on your controller keyboard i would suggest assigning one of them to 'expression'...its essential

Regards
    Paul

Nicjones,

I suspect you found the bow noise level to be extremely high, just because you are not sending any CC#11 value, which sets the volume of the sustains.

If this shouldn't be the case, please e-mail me: giorgio.tommasini@tin.it.

Giorgio

Thanks everyone! I have a fairly basic midi keyboard like a lot of "plug and play" pc music makers (I'm not really a musician but sure feel like one sometimes!). Any suggestions for an expression controller, preferably foot-operated, and how I can integrate it into my system?

Thanks!

nic, youve got to figure out if your keyboard as a socket for a CC#11 foot controller, if so i can recommend this expression pedal.
    http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/s...roduct_id/8330

it works great with this keyboard
    http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/s...roduct_id/7324

although you do have to do a bit of DIY modification to remove the spring from the mod wheel controller but its very easy to do, takes about 10 minutes, see styxx article elsewhere in the forum. Note that keyboard is a 61 note controller Edirol do smaller cheaper keyboards in that range.

Regards
    Paul

Thanks! OK It looks like my keyboard (M-audio keystation 61es) only has a sustain pedal socket (already in use for sustain). Is there an expression pedal that can be hooked up via a midi socket out there somewhere, or do I bite the bullet and buy a decent keyboard with a dedicated socket?

Nic, i have no experience of doing what your trying to do, your keyboard controller looks devoid of any programmable sliders or nobs and as got one pedal socket for sustain (which you need anyway for legato etc). I dont know how you can rig an expression pedal up to it.......perhaps georgio can come up with something.......anyone else have any experience of this??

regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by nicjones
    Thanks! OK It looks like my keyboard (M-audio keystation 61es) only has a sustain pedal socket (already in use for sustain). Is there an expression pedal that can be hooked up via a midi socket out there somewhere, or do I bite the bullet and buy a decent keyboard with a dedicated socket?
    I'm still having the 61es too. The local dealer told me that there are no expression pedals or related MIDI/USB stuff available. (Anybody tell me why...! What's wrong to having an expression pedal that's plugged in via USB?)

So I think it's time for a new controller. I will spent some money in the upcoming M-Audio Axiom, hopefully it has a good playing feel (semi-weighted, maybe it's comparable to 61es). It will be available at the end of March or early April. Perhaps you can take a look at the CME's too. Seems that is good stuff for the money.

I'm still hoping GPOA isn't coming up with another necessary controller...! I can't change my setup twice a year.

BTW: note that the Edirol and Roland keyboards only having the "Lever". Maybe someone love it but I can't work with it.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by paulman
    Nic, i have no experience of doing what your trying to do, your keyboard controller looks devoid of any programmable sliders or nobs and as got one pedal socket for sustain (which you need anyway for legato etc).
    Hmm, the 61es still having one volume/control slider that could assign to expression. I don't think this is the easiest way to handle the Strad but perhaps it's an option...

Go Back to forum