• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Topic: Copying Beethoven

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Copying Beethoven

    ... is the name of a movie : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424908/

    Looked interesting (since it's about Beethoven )

    I wonder if it will be any good...

    I'd love to see this in a movie theater and annoy everyone around me by fancying myself and Beethoven expert, stating random Beethoven trivia, and pointing out historical innaccuracies, if there are any (which there should be since Hollywood knows truth is not so interesting).

    Oooh, I hope he says "the comedy is over." But I wonder what kind of inflection he'll use? It's anyone's guess...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

  2. #2

    Re: Copying Beethoven

    heh heh heh...

    http://www.myriadpictures.com/film.php?film=63

    Why do this to poor Beethoven?
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

  3. #3

    Re: Copying Beethoven

    WHAT???? ANOTHER movie that is Beethoven-themed which is more fiction than fact? Why in heaven's name can't they just do a movie that is true to life?

    In "Immortal Beloved", the producers and writers of that film chose Joanna Beethoven, his brother's wife, to be the mystery woman. She is whom every Beethoven scholar NEVER even considered as even a remotely possible candidate.
    There is enough entertaining passion, scandal, drama and tragedy in Beethoven's real life and story - why add fiction to it?

    I guess seeing an abused (as a child), manic-depressive deaf genius, who drove his nephew to attempt suicide, alienated many of his family and friends (and several times with each at that), all while he labored intensely to produce his masterpieces is just not entertaining enough for some folks.

    bummer.
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

    My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com


  4. #4

    Re: Copying Beethoven

    You hit the nail on the head, Jerry. Hollywood just can't let well enough alone, can they?

    Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Budleigh Salterton
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: Copying Beethoven

    The best Beethoven thing done was a recent 3 part docu-drama done by the BBC.

    Apart from the one about the big dog of course.


  6. #6

    Re: Copying Beethoven

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    The best Beethoven thing done was a recent 3 part docu-drama done by the BBC.

    Apart from the one about the big dog of course.

    Yes Paul, I saw the first part, then left for here. It was turning out to be a change from the usual overdramatic and highly inaccurate dribble about Ludwig Van.
    Perhaps they'll do an accurate portrayal of Mozart in the future as well.


    Never saw the big dog version. Is that the one wherte Ludwig's brother's wife is portrayed as a howler?



  7. #7

    Re: Copying Beethoven

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    You hit the nail on the head, Jerry. Hollywood just can't let well enough alone, can they?

    Larry A.
    Well, truthfully, I thought Immortal Beloved was a well done movie - the acting was great - Gary Oldman - who played B, actually played the piano parts!! And 90% of the movie portrayed things as they were - or as we think they were for B, but to then add that theory about the Immortal Beloved being Johanna, kind of ruined the whole thing for me. There is ample evidence to support at least three other women, (who were questioned by Schindler in the movie,) but none for Johanna.

    I am sure this new Beethoven movie will be good too - as far as the movie production value, acting etc, but I just hate that they have to ADD stuff to an already Drama-packed story!!

    Dramatization of actual events is not the same thing as INVENTING totally new characters who had nothing to do with Beethoven. Poetic liscense? sure - that is to be expected, but complete fabrication? Not gonna fly with me.

    Part of me says that it is all good - the more movies about things I like, the better. But then the other part of me says that people's sense of history education often comes from "historical" or "Period" movies they watch. (if they watch them at all) And if you think I am kidding, just watch any epidode of Jay Walking from the Tonight Show. Seriously, I cannot tell you the number of people I PERSONALLY KNOW who actually think that Salieri killed Mozart.

    At least when you are dramatizing actual events, make them actual events.

    The dog movie, Beethoven, was very good. Great family movie.

    Ok - sorry to ramble.



    Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

    My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com


  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    1,175

    Re: Copying Beethoven

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    Seriously, I cannot tell you the number of people who actually think that Salieri killed Mozart.

    Jerry
    WHAT!!!!!!! You mean he didn't?????




    JT

  9. #9
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: Copying Beethoven

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    Well, truthfully, I thought Immortal Beloved was a well done movie - the acting was great - Gary Oldman - who played B, actually played the piano parts!! And 90% of the movie portrayed things as they were - or as we think they were for B, but to then add that theory about the Immortal Beloved being Johanna, kind of ruined the whole thing for me. There is ample evidence to support at least three other women, (who were questioned by Schindler in the movie,) but none for Johanna.

    I am sure this new Beethoven movie will be good too - as far as the movie production value, acting etc, but I just hate that they have to ADD stuff to an already Drama-packed story!!

    Dramatization of actual events is not the same thing as INVENTING totally new characters who had nothing to do with Beethoven. Poetic liscense? sure - that is to be expected, but complete fabrication? Not gonna fly with me.

    Part of me says that it is all good - the more movies about things I like, the better. But then the other part of me says that people's sense of history education often comes from "historical" or "Period" movies they watch. (if they watch them at all) And if you think I am kidding, just watch any epidode of Jay Walking from the Tonight Show. Seriously, I cannot tell you the number of people I PERSONALLY KNOW who actually think that Salieri killed Mozart.

    At least when you are dramatizing actual events, make them actual events.

    The dog movie, Beethoven, was very good. Great family movie.

    Ok - sorry to ramble.



    Jerry
    Jerry,
    I respectfully have to disagree with you on Gary Oldman - I thought he was awful. Yes, the movie was hideous, as well. The only saving grace was that it was so bad, most people never saw it! I don't expect Hollywood to be interested in facts - if they were, they would be publishing newpapers; oh, wait, they're not too interested in facts, either. Well, at least they don't pretend to be accurate...


    R. Pearl

  10. #10

    Re: Copying Beethoven

    I thought Gary Oldman was a great Beethoven. Also, I believe story is more important than getting the facts right, but it has to be done right. (Otherwise I would not enjoy Amadeus so much. )

    The story for this film doesn't seem so compelling...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •