• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Adding USB 2.0 ports to Mac G5

Share/Bookmark

Adding USB 2.0 ports to Mac G5

I need to add a USB 2.0 card to my Mac G5 dual 2.7G machine. My problem is all the slots are PCI-X and all the cards I have found are older PCI bus, which I understand will not run on the G5s.

Does anyone know of a PCI-X USB 2.0 card, preferably with a minimum of 4 ports?
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Re: Adding USB 2.0 ports to Mac G5

You can't use a hub?

PCI-X is backwards compatible with PCI slots. It is the newer PCI-Express (PCIe) that is not compatible with the older PCI cards and those are only on the new Dual Core PowerMacs. The Dual 2.7 G5 should be fine.

Have you actually tried the USB 2.0 card in the PCI-X slot? It should work.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

I read on another forum that you weren't supposed to use 33MHz PCI cards in faster slots, that it could damage the card and the computer. And nothing in the specs I've seen indicate that they can run on PCI-X slots - one mfgr specifically stated his would not, and it was a more recent card (at least it had a higher part no than his other cards which didn't mention G4s, never mind G5s.).

Can't use a hub for this, between the MOTU MTP-AV, Keyboard/mouse on a KVM so I can't use the mouse in the keyboard USB, it doesn't see it when I change to the G4. With the Tranzport (hub is fine, but it's the only device that is), printer (no hub) etc. connected there are no open ports.

If anyone has actually done this, I'd like to know, for now I'm going to keep looking for more info/options.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

The Dual G5 already has USB 2.0 ports - http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html - unless somehow you have an older machine that missed it...?

If you need more ports, an external 2.0 Hub would probably be the best solution.

I added a USB card to my Dual 2.5 and it has PCI-x, I just picked up the cheapest 4 port card at compusa, it said mac compatible on the box and it is plug and play. Works great, it also has an internal USB port that I put my XSKey into.

Yeah, maybe I'm not understanding your set up either......

I'm using a hub with a G5, G4, MTP-AV (x2), Printer, KVM, Splitter, and whatever else is hooked to the Macs.

I have the AV going in direct and everything else into the hub. Because right, when you switch it'll cut your AV off-line. Maybe you have something else that it effects? It doesn't effect my dongles and such. Whatever... it works so I keep it as is. Set it and forget it..........

BTW --- My mouse is plugged into the keyboard w/no prob.

My PC's are on their own KVM -- lightpipe to the G5.

I have several daisychained USB hubs, including a 7-port USB 2 one, hooked up to my main G5. My USB keyboard and mouse are connected to a KVM switch that goes to a USB port, and the switch itself has a USB 1 connection that I use for a scanner.

While I am having a dongle issue (no, that's not what I mean), it has nothing to do with the USB hubs, i.e. it doesn't change when that dongle is connected directly to a USB port...in other words you can connect dongles to hubs no problem. As a matter of fact I have four dongles connected to a $7 passive USB hub that in turn is connected to another hub (an active one).

The only issue is that the MBox 2 has to have a direct port - it can't connect to a hub. I'd be inclined not to add PCI cards when you can use hubs.

Maybe the problem is that you're using an unpowered hub, which I've had issues with in the past. Try to get one with external power and see if it works.

Go Back to forum