• Register
  • Help

Topic: Marching Samples for Brecht Play

Share/Bookmark

Marching Samples for Brecht Play

This may be slightly OT, but I am looking for samples of troops marching for use in scoring a Berthold Brecht play. Any suggestions?

Preferably with only the noise of boots stamping.

The director is also interested in utilizing the sound of tanks and bombers at a certain point. Those would be very helpful too?

Many thanks in advance!

gspin

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Marching Samples for Brecht Play

What's the perspective? I don't envy you, that's a rough design task. Very literal. SoundDogs.com is a really good place to search throught a lot of that kind of thing, and just buy what you like.

I've had to do the "boots" thing before, and unless it's just point blank, the boots component is often not as effective as all the surrounding sounds of troop movement...those that would plausibly carry the distance.

The bombers and that kind of thing are interesting if they need to be period. If that's the case, you will probably end up constructing those yourself. Recordings of the actual period bombers in question are almost universally unusable in a theatrical context--they don't give any sense of realism. What I do is find a period recording of the right character of that kind of sound, then I build it from scratch using that period recording as a guide. You can usually get modern recordings of period planes, not in battle of course, but in a well recorded form that can be a good starting point. If a bomber is coming down around the action on stage, you definitely want to shake the snot out of the house, so it might involve all sorts of subsonics on separate channels, that kind of thing. I'm not sure how big of a design we're talking here. But for certain, you can get a long way at SoundDogs, and if you're mostly getting fairly short effects, the price is reasonable.

Thanks Bruce:

I had in the meantime found Sounddogs and, yes, it was very useful. When I said "boots alone" I meant to the exclusion of marching orders, cadences etc.
    I found something that is working very well in the mix so far.

The bomber idea was not mine and I have already produced something abstract that (I think) almost unequivocally suggests the drone of a squadron of bombers flying in... quite suggestive if laid back enough. The actual sound would be difficult to utilize I suspect.

thanks again

gspin

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gspin
    Thanks Bruce:

I had in the meantime found Sounddogs and, yes, it was very useful. When I said "boots alone" I meant to the exclusion of marching orders, cadences etc.
    I found something that is working very well in the mix so far.
    Cool, glad you found it. SoundDogs gets a little of my money on every show, one way or another. It's very handy.

Go Back to forum