• Register
  • Help

Topic: Discovery Sounds Warning!!

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs down Discovery Sounds Warning!!

I thought I'd try some of the ethnic samples from Discovery Sounds, since they got great reviews in a couple of magazines. They are without doubt the noisiest samples in the world. I've heard less hiss, hum and buzz on recordings of farts and belches made with dictaphones in a windstorm.

I've bought a couple of the Battery libraries, which are very cheap indeed, but then they only include about 20 samples, so they should be cheap. And I've had to spend a couple of hours cleaning them up, not very satisfactorily. Steer clear.

Re: Discovery Sounds Warning!!

Thanks for the warning, Pingu
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Hey, I'm sorry you're disappointed...did you contact the producers, or try getting a refund?

Is it one particular product or several which you're unhappy with? Some more information could make your criticism a fairer or more useful one (not always easy I know, when feeling ripped off!!).

I have nothing whatsoever to do with, and no personal experience of, this sample producer, but out of curiosity I did do a little research. Some of their libraries have had pretty good reviews in established MI publications, so apparently not everyone seems to agree with your opinion. I saw a review mentioning "beautifully recorded" and "impressive sample set".

Just trying to keep a little balance here.

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel W
    Hey, I'm sorry you're disappointed...did you contact the producers, or try getting a refund?

Is it one particular product or several which you're unhappy with? Some more information could make your criticism a fairer or more useful one (not always easy I know, when feeling ripped off!!).

I have nothing whatsoever to do with, and no personal experience of, this sample producer, but out of curiosity I did do a little research. Some of their libraries have had pretty good reviews in established MI publications, so apparently not everyone seems to agree with your opinion. I saw a review mentioning "beautifully recorded" and "impressive sample set".

Just trying to keep a little balance here.

Nigel
    Yes, I realise they've had stunning reviews - particularly in Music Tech Magazine (at least here in the UK). That's why I bought them. So far I've bought the Battery libraries of Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Okinawan and Thailand percussion. All of them have been incredibly noisy. They're also very tightly gated, so that I found it nearly impossible to get hold of a bit of noise by itself, which made it very awkward to use a noise reduction plug-in.

I found that for a few sounds the noise wasn't noticeable. For instance anything like a 'whip crack' heavily outweighed the noise, and was then very quickly noise-gated. But anything with a loud attack followed by a sustain portion, the noise becomes more and more noticeable as the sustain dies out. And we're not just talking a bit of hiss. There are loud buzzes of the ground-loop type, very loud hiss, and, on a few occasions, some very noticeable aliasing artefacts.

This wouldn't stop me buying their loop libraries, but I'd think twice about buying any more one-shots or multisamples with sounds that die away.

I see; thanks for the explanation. Maybe they have buddies at Music Tech magazine ? :-( !!

If you can be bothered it might be useful to contact Discovery, maybe? They might br stimulated to improve quality control or even offer you some freebies by way of compensation.

regards

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    Yes, I realise they've had stunning reviews - particularly in Music Tech Magazine (at least here in the UK). That's why I bought them.
    Be VERY aware of what goes on in music magazines Pingu. Be very careful about that. That can be costly.

Just to finish the story, I e-mailed Discoverysound, and was very polite, asked if maybe I'd downloaded the wrong version.

They were also very polite, but said that they couldn't hear any noise on their samples. They sent me one set that I'd bought again, to check that they were identical to the ones I'd downloaded. They were, and the noise was still there. So I emailed them one sample back, on which the ground-loop hum was as loud as the percussion instrument.

Their next response said they had passed it to their engineer, who couldn't detect any noise, unless he really cranked up the volume, and the levels of noise on their samples are typical for any developers. To be fair they did ask whether I had any suggestions for what they could do, but I don't think they wanted to hear 'buy a decent mike and A/D convertors.'

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    Yes, I realise they've had stunning reviews - particularly in Music Tech Magazine (at least here in the UK). That's why I bought them.
    It seems as if they've got some sort of deal going with Music Tech. I bought the magazine today and they're giving away a selection (295 MB) of Discovery samples on the covermount DVD. I've checked out some of the ethnic samples and they don't seem overly noisy to me. Saying that though, I have only listened to a few.

-----------------------
    www.messhead.com

No, the one-shots and loops on the Music Tech Magazine CD are very good recordings. I'm especially interested in the Tuvan throat singing samples, and will probably still buy the CD, despite my experiences with them. I wouldn't by any means want to make a blanket statement about Discovery Sounds, beyond the Battery libraries I mentioned.

Be VERY aware of what goes on in music magazines Pingu. Be very careful about that. That can be costly.
    Yeah, you get shady people like me telling you to buy total junk just so they can sell ads.

(Seriously, how many readers would we have if we did that?)

Go Back to forum