• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Bin Laden's most successful attack on the US?

Share/Bookmark

Bin Laden's most successful attack on the US?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/02/...eut/index.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- President Bush said his 2004 re-election victory over Sen. John Kerry was inadvertently aided by Osama bin Laden, The Washington Examiner newspaper reported Tuesday.

The al Qaeda leader had issued a taped diatribe against Bush the Friday before Americans went to the polls

Bush said there were "enormous amounts of discussion" inside his campaign about the 15-minute tape, which he called "an interesting entry by our enemy" into the presidential race.

Bush's comments in the Washington newspaper were excerpts from the new book "Strategery" by Bill Sammon, a longtime White House correspondent.

"What does it mean? Is it going to help? Is it going to hurt?" Bush told Sammon of the bin Laden tapes. "Anything that drops in at the end of a campaign that is not already decided creates all kinds of anxieties, because you're not sure of the effect.

"I thought it was going to help," Bush said. "I thought it would help remind people that if bin Laden doesn't want Bush to be the president, something must be right with Bush."

Re: Bin Laden's most successful attack on the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    "I thought it would help remind people that if bin Laden doesn't want Bush to be the president, something must be right with Bush."
    ...When exactly the opposite was true. He wanted Bush to be president. Bin Laden should not influence the election one way or the other - who cares what he thinks? But people bought into this. Bin Laden is one of the most resourceful and clever enemies we have ever faced (not a compliment). He knows our culture and how we think. He is well educated in history (especially ours). He knows that Americans are always put off by what foreigners think (or claim to think) - more so with him. He can manipulate our elections by claiming not to support the candidate that he really does support. Yet we fell for it - just like Bush falls into every trap Bin Laden has set for him. He also knows that people in this administration know nothing about Arab culture - ZERO! Score one for the bad guy.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Yeah... that tricky Bin Laden!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Yeah... that tricky Bin Laden!
    Well, we trained him...
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    Well, we trained him...
    Did we? Maybe he just wants us to think we trained him... he is so tricky...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Did we? Maybe he just wants us to think we trained him... he is so tricky...
    LOL!!! Stop it!

...Bush should be on OBL's recruiting posters!

;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

If that really were his goal, I might even support it, I'm so tired of watching this sectarian fighting. It's actually the reason the U.S. put Hussein in and supported him for so long, as the only man in the region ruthless enough to hold the sides apart.

But sorry, Charlie - he's not that smart. Cheny is just as ruthless as Hussein ever was, probably more so, as is Rumm. Put the whole cabal in the blender, add pappy and grandpa ~~~~ Prescott, you might come up with a Middle-East Shooting Match, but the Bush baby by himself couldn't even get B's in the prestigious school his daddy bought for him.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

When exactly the opposite was true. He wanted Bush to be president.
    Yes, that's my point - which is what I said before the election. Who could invent a better figure for Bin Laden's followers to rally against? He's stupid, aggressive, inarticulate, unrefined...just the perfect guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Speaking of tricky, I heard someone on the radio this morning say that Bush may actually be a genius! Supposedly, Dubya has tricked us all with his dumb cowboy act, and has actually accomplished almost everything that he has envisioned.
    It pains me to admit that this thought has occured to me too.

Bush has manipulated the American penchant for homely, unpretentious "common sense", and the same peoples' innate distrust of intellectualism, complication and uncertainty, like a master magician. He has used it to get elected, he has used it to sell a foreign policy based on lies, he has used it to stay credible in many peoples eyes even AFTER those lies have been exposed.

He has happily gone about his business based on unshakeable faith that 2+2=5. Most of us say he's an idiot because we know that 2+2 actually = 4. But think about it the other way: despite that fact that 2+2 = 4, he has actually managed to become, and remain, president of the world's most powerful country, and use that position to achieve exactly what he wanted to the enrichment of those close to him, on the basis that 2+2=5. He has masterminded possibly the most daring and staggering triumph of psychological manipulation over intellectual truth in the history of mankind.

I don't know how much of it is Bush himself and how much the people behind him, but I have a sinking feeling in my stomach: while people like me watched and laughed at him, he was laughing even harder, because that's exactly what he wanted us to do.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast