• Register
  • Help

Topic: McCartney demonstrates the Mellotron

Share/Bookmark

McCartney demonstrates the Mellotron

And other toys of the 60's. The PBS "Chaos & Creation" special comes on here in L.A in a couple of hours. 10:00PST. This should actually be a real interesting show.

Re: McCartney demonstrates the Mellotron

One of the best sounding pop recordings I've ever heard. McCartney is a wonderful musician. He's a great drummer, guitarist, pianist, singer ...

Quote Originally Posted by mirage
    And other toys of the 60's. The PBS "Chaos & Creation" special comes on here in L.A in a couple of hours. 10:00PST. This should actually be a real interesting show.
    It's not that interesting.

That was fun. Thanks for the tip!

It was great to see how easy it is to make attractive music when you have natural talent, lots of practice and a bit of gear.

I especially liked the contrast between his new "Blackbird-like" song and the music that he recorded/looped/mixed live. The written song had dynamics, interesting chords and voicings and good lyrics. For the on-the-spot job, it was a low risk approach - like the stright quarter note chords on the piano. From experience, it's easy to vary each track a bit and have them sound great alone, only to have them all with a hole on beat two, and stack up on beat three in one measure and do the opposite on the next!

The real genius of the on-the-spot recording though was McCartney's ability to play to the metronome and lead/lag the beat in a way that sounded really pleasing.

Oh. Elvis' bass was cool too...

-JF

When I was 13, that little band they called the Beatles, seemed so promising...

it was as if they were at the edge of some sort of a breakthrough and popular music would soon be transformed into… well, a more lasting, “higher” art form (something like Beethoven meets Whitman meets African drums, or at least maybe, George Gershwin meets Edgar Allen Poe).

It seemed, then, that the wit and cleverness of youth was winning and would soon rule everything!
    Discipline? HA! Hindsight and wisdom? HA! HA! Practice? Who needs it!

It was the night of the kings castration, my friends…
    the kings balls were comin' off!

And now we have Paul…

playing almost as good as he did 30 years ago...
    still winkin' at the ladies…
    playing the standard cast of instruments in a coupe-of-months-of-practice-in-a-lifetime sort of way.

I don’t know…

It just makes me want to pull the covers up over my head.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst

The real genius of the on-the-spot recording though was McCartney's ability to play to the metronome and lead/lag the beat in a way that sounded really pleasing.

-JF
    Funny that....I was just thinking the opposite. I don't think there was much ability on display at all. I heard him play live back in the 80s and his playing standard was higher (or my expectations were lower!). Still, he's got a string of acclaimed hits to his name and enough bounty to own a continent so what the hell!

Quote Originally Posted by JonP
    Funny that....I was just thinking the opposite. I don't think there was much ability on display at all. I heard him play live back in the 80s and his playing standard was higher (or my expectations were lower!). Still, he's got a string of acclaimed hits to his name and enough bounty to own a continent so what the hell!
    I was mainly comparing his timing to my own, which is my weak point - even when doing simple, no-risk stuff. I usually have to do a number of takes before I'm happy - and I'm not doing it in front of an audience.

I found his live multi-track recording to have a certain bounce to it that I really liked. When I get the timing right, it's technically close enough to work, but doesn't necessarily have that "thing".

OTOH there are certainly many studio musicians who could blow past those tracks in complexity and accuracy six times before breakfast. It's all relative, I guess.

-JF

I saw some of it. It looked like he was just showing off throughout the whole thing - and he wasn't impressive. He was a genius, but he doesn't have to act so laughably daffy and self important because of it.

I was a big Elvis fan in the black & white days 1955- to army.
    In that period I liked all his stuff. He went down hill very quickly after the army period
    Paul also loved early Elvis, (and now owns Bill Black bass.) but has commented many times that Elvis lost his way in the 60's

The point I am making, is that someone needs to tell Paul, that he has lost his way in the 80's 90's 2000+.
    Stop making albums for the sake of it, and don't put an album out until you have enough good songs.

I did enjoy the program, but I was cringing a few times

john-studio64

Quote Originally Posted by greatzed
    He was a genius, but he doesn't have to act so laughably daffy and self important because of it.
    He always acts like that.

Go Back to forum