• Register
  • Help

Topic: PitchBend Autozero technique

Share/Bookmark

Question PitchBend Autozero technique

Thanks for two really great movies: http://www.garritan.com/Strad/DemoStradMassenetQT1.mov and http://www.garritan.com/Strad/VideoD...iViolin1sf.wmv. Very useful tutorial. But I can't reproduce only one specific technique from second movie: PitchBend Autozero. Maybe, this is work on PC and don't work on Kontakt 2 Macintosh edition? Or I don't know "secret" key switch? I read SSV manual

Thanks in advanced

Apple Powermac QUAD/4GB RAM/Mac OS X 10.4.5/Logic Pro 7.2/Kontakt 2 2.0.2.007/The Stradivari Solo Violin v.1.07/Roland XV-88

Re: PitchBend Autozero technique

Sorry my broken English... My pitchbender work in general mode, overlapped note don't reset pitchbend to zero position.

Apple Powermac QUAD/4GB RAM/Mac OS X 10.4.5/Logic Pro 7.2/Kontakt 2 2.0.2.007/The Stradivari Solo Violin v.1.07/Roland XV-88

Barracca,

You’re right, the autozero pitch bend was a feature of a previous version of the Stradivari, which was used for the first demo: http://www.garritan.com/Strad/VideoD...iViolin1sf.wmv.

While essential when portamento is simulated by the pitchwheel, autozero actually becomes a limitation when portamento is carried out by the entirely different, automatic approach used for the Stradivari. In this case, the additional control provided by the pitchwheel may allow for interesting effects, such as positive or negative pitch changes at the very beginning, or end, of the portamento. This is much closer to the behavior of the real instrument, where the pitch may float even before, during and after the portamento.

Rather, a new feature has been added, namely, automatic vibrato inhibition during portamento and pitchbends. This helps reproduce the behavior of the real violinist.

Manual, page 34:

"1. Inhibition of vibrato during portamento. Usually, when executing a portamento, a violin player will not add vibrato. You will notice that the Stradivari Solo Violin behaves in the same way, i.e. the midi processor automatically switches off vibrato during portamento and restores it to the actual value of the Mod Wheel immediately thereafter.

2. Inhibition of vibrato during rapid pitch changes. A violin player may choose to maintain vibrato while slightly detuning a note. However, when performing a more rapid and defined pitch change, vibrato is usually avoided. The Stradivari Solo Violin exactly reproduces this behavior. You will notice that slow detuning by the Pitchwheel does not inhibit the ongoing vibrato. More rapid changes will transiently switch off vibrato, restoring it to the actual value of the Mod Wheel upon stabilization of the pitch.

TIP: You may easily modify the threshold rate for vibrato inhibition by acting on the right knob in the Script Panel. The default value is 200, and the allowed range is 100 (vibrato inhibition on small Pitchwheel changes) to 1000 (persistence of vibrato even on large pitchbends)."

You will probably be surprised by the nuances that can be obtained by applying these concepts.

Giorgio

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgio Tommasini
    Manual, page 34:

"1. Inhibition of vibrato during portamento. Usually, when executing a portamento, a violin player will not add vibrato...
    ...You will probably be surprised by the nuances that can be obtained by applying these concepts.

Giorgio
    Thanks a lot Go into my Logic-Stradivari environment

Go Back to forum