• Register
  • Help

Topic: GIGA "will not run on a partitioned drive"?

Share/Bookmark

GIGA "will not run on a partitioned drive"?

Hi again,

As related point to my last post, regarding GS3 not cooperating with my two new MOTU devices (please check it out and help, if you can).....

I just received an e-mail from TASCAM tech support which says, in part:

> GigaStudio will not run on a partitioned drive. You
    > will need to install Giga on a drive that is not partitioned.

But it *does* run... it just interacts strangely with the MOTU devices.

Is he correct? Does anyone here run Giga on a partitioned drive?

The GS3 User's Manual never says that "GigaStudio will not run on a partitioned drive." All it says about hard drives (p.18) is that it is a "bad idea" to stream samples from a separate partition on the same drive that contains Giga.

Again, the manual *never* states that Giga won't work with a partitioned drive with samples streaming from a separate partition, just that doing it this way a "bad idea," due to stylus/head wear.

Besides, I'm not even doing that here -- the samples are kept on a different physical drive. All c-drive activity takes place on the bootable partition containing Giga-and- Cubase-and-nothing-more.

Then there's this review:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may0...pcmusician.htm

(I've been successfully streaming Gigastudio from a partition on my Windows desktop drive for several years, with no problems to date.")

Any thoughts?

Weary thanks,

Alan

Re: GIGA "will not run on a partitioned drive"?

Either Tascam is not surprisingly giving you half info, or you're not explaining to them the situation leading them to a wrong conclusion...

Gigastudio will run from a partition, even with samples on the other partition. I do it on one of my low performance systems. The only reason I do it this way is because that box travels and physically doesn't have the space for additional drives. I can also wipe the OS partition at will.

For maximum performance the OS (and install of Gigastudio) should be on a separate drive from the samples.

Probably none of this has anything to do with any MOTU problems. Though I've never had any luck getting MOTU anything to run on a PC.

- G

I have my GS3 app and OS installed on a partitioned drive. My AV and Sample disks are non-partitioned.

Works great!

-JF

I was very explicit about my setup. They knew from the start that I only divided the hard drive into two bootable partitions -- one partition containing ZoneAlarm, antivirus software, a network connection, and a host of software apps; the other partition containing a stripped-down, tweaked OS, and nothing but Giga and Cubase installed on it. All samples are kept on another physical drive.

The sick thing is that I had already purchased a second internal drive, because TASCAM had already refused to help me work out Giga's crashing/bluescreen problems unless and until I installed the program on a freshly-installed XP drive, with no other apps on there...

Today I ordered a *third* drive, so that %@$#! Giga can sit on its own, non-partitioned drive. I have also gone ballistic at TASCAM, and at Sweetwater (whose listing for GS3 Orchestra contains a section called "Expert Advice From Sweetwater," in which a Sweetwater Dude proclaims "GS3 instantly turns your WindowsXP computer into a state of the art sampling system"), who promises that they will go through their own TASCAM channels to resolve this issue.....

TASCAM has a lot of nerve promoting Giga as merely having a "minimum system requirement" of "100MB application hard drive space" [ (on my machine, Giga has about 250 GB "application hard drive space"...] and then flat-out refusing to offer tech support to a registered product unless and until I install the app on (i) a separate, unpartitioned hard drive, (ii) free of firewall/antivirus/Nero/etc. software, and (iii) with a cleanly-installed, heavily tweaked OS.

I'm spitting mad because none of that stuff appears in the "minimum system requirements" or "recommended system requirements," as displayed on the TASCAM website and on the product packaging.

I'm also spitting mad because they have continued to refuse to assist me even after I've pointed out sections of the User's Manual and two different Giga FAQs sitting on the TASCAM website that fail to mention that "GigaStudio will not run on a partitioned drive," and one section that clearly states that partitioning is "good."

Here are some excerpts from my recent e-mail dialogue with TASCAM tech non-support:

======================================

Subject: Re: GigaStudio 3 not cooperating with MOTU USB devices...

> I just read the first part of the email abd already found a major
    > issue for you. GigaStudio will not run on a partitioned drive. You
    > will need to install Giga on a drive that is not partitioned.

> Thank you for your interest in TASCAM products.

> What you are telling me contradicts the GS3 User's Manual. It never
    > says that "GigaStudio will not run on a partitioned drive." All it
    > says about hard drives (p.18) is that it is a "bad idea" to stream
    > samples from a separate partition on the same drive that contains
    > Giga.
    >
    > Again, the manual *never* states that Giga won't work with a
    > partitioned drive with samples streaming from a separate partition,
    > just that doing it this way a "bad idea," due to stylus/head wear.
    >
    > Besides, I'm not even doing that here -- the samples are kept on a
    > different physical drive. All c-drive activity takes place on the
    > bootable partition containing Giga-and- Cubase-and-nothing-more.

Next, I pointed out where TASCAM's own online Giga FAQs approve of partitioning, as long as it's not to separate apps from samples...

>> http://www.tascamgiga.com/support/faq.php#34

>> Q: Will partitioning my hard drive be the same as
    >> adding a second drive?

>> No ?not even close. Even though you are "theoretically" splitting
    >> one drive into multiple drives, there still is only one stylus accessing
    >> the info on those partitions. After partioning, the stylus has to work
    >> even harder than it did with only one cluster of data because the
    >> partitioned data is spread all over the drive. Partitioning drives is good
    >> for setting up multiple boot scenarios, but is not a good idea for
    >> streaming data like Giga instruments and DAW audio tracks.

> Just like in the User's Manual, TASCAM's own FAQ says that partitioning
    > is only "not a good idea" if the goal is to stream samples off of the same
    > physical drive that Giga lives on -- which I'm not doing (all of my
    > samples are kept on a different internal SATA drive).

> In fact, the FAQ says that "[p]artitioning drives is good for setting up
    > multiple boot scenarios
    " . . .

>So, according to TASCAM's own FAQ, dividing a drive into distinct,
    > bootable partitions is not only allowed, it's "good."

>This is precisely why I went out and bought a new hard drive to divide
    > into two separate, bootable partitions... one for GIGA, and one for
    > everything else.

We do not recommend or support running GigaStudio on a partitioned drive.
    If people on the VSL Forums are able to make it work on such a system,
    then they are using a work around that we do not know or support. My
    recommendation is that you do not run GigaStudio on a partitioned drive.

Thank you for your interest in TASCAM products.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr..... The saddest part is that I've got an extensive sample library sitting mute (VSL, etc.), but I'm not even interested in making music any more. I've sat through so many hard drive reformattings and Windows installations, and go-nowhere tech support calls, and being kept on hold waiting for go-nowhere tech support calls, and . . .

[sigh]

Alan

To say GIGAstudio will not run on a partitioned drive is the same as saying GIGAstudio will not RUN - since all drives have to have at least one partition on them to be usable and therefore all drives are partitioned.

I've always used GS3 on drives with multiple partitions, in fact I have a double boot partition system drive, which allows me to boot two different XP OSes off the same drive. In fact I am able to run GS3 in both partitions without any problems other than the usual high CPU/High memory usage crashes. In fact the reason I run GS3 in the second partition is to test any potential software changes to the production partition aren't going to require a rebuild - which I have done more times than you would think is necessary.

In short GS3 runs fine on a drive with multiple partitions (I have two SATA drives 3 partitions on the OS drive and two partitions on the Samples drive) and I'm loading about 10G of samples from VSL OPUS 1 into 1G memory that's pushing the memory bar into the orange. I have setup the system so the extra partitions are dormant. That is there is nothing on the extra partitions that are in use when the system is running GS3, just the boot partition and the samples partition.

Go Back to forum