• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: FX Teleport and GPO

Share/Bookmark

FX Teleport and GPO

Anyone here successfully using FX Teleport with 2 more PC's and pretty loaded up GPO orchestra on a remote PC? I am thinking about getting this and making a setup like this, but I'd really like to hear from some people that have successfully been doing it, especially with a lot of GPO instruments at once.

??
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Re: FX Teleport and GPO

FX-Max's software is downloadable for trial so you can see if it will work specifically for you.
    If this is any indication, I tried their Giga Teleport and it worked with a few minor, and occasional glitches, but that was more likely because my second computer is a bit underpowered for the task, not because of the software.

Rob

I am not sure how well this works, but I know it sure sounds like a dream app. Just make sure you have a GIGABIT ethernet connection for BOTH PCs. If you use just plain jane 10/100 ethernet connection, you will find the number of channels you can transmit simultaneously very limiting.

With gigabit, which has more bandwidth than Firewire 400, you can transmit a LOT of MIDI information.

I am adding a 2.6 ghz P4 (1.5 gb ram) PC to host my VSTI's and will start out using MIDIoverLAN most likely, but want FX Teleport a LOT!!
    Problem is, it is PC only at the moment.

I have been in touch with the developers and they say they are planning on releasing a Mac OSX version "sometime 2nd quarter, 2006."

When it is released, I hope to be using THAT. Once I get the PC up and running, I will see how well MIDIoverLAN works.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

I used MIDIOverLan+ for a while and it worked absolutely great.

I tried the FXTeleport product demo and it was amaising. The only limitation will be your network...eg router, cabling etc. Just think, getting rid of all your MIDI cables and AUDIO cables, and MIDIAUDIO CARDS!!

If you have throughput problems via network, you might just try two NIC cards in your sequencing machine and split the servers up...

Another thing, using remote plugins in sequencer take longer to load since they cannot be preloaded and if you have a lot of sounds in each server you may be sitting around for a while
    75,000th Post Winner on the Garritan Forum
    "Don't you wish you were me?"

Yea actually, I use two PC's, one a laptop. I have a single firewire audio/midi card that I can move between the two computers..most of the time its on my desktop, but I intend to start using my laptop for living keyboard gigging. So anyway, I'm hoping I can throw teleport on there and use the laptop for GPO and run Sonar on my desktop.. I got a gigabit PCMIA card for my laptop already and I have a gigabit network switch....so I guess I'm ready to rock and roll....

I'm just happy to simply my setup. Only one audio interface, only one midi interface. I'm even selling all my keyboards and rack mount sound modules. This is it..making the big transition...
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42
    . . . I'm even selling all my keyboards and rack mount sound modules...
    And if Murphy's law kicks in, you'll soon be wanting a particular sound that would fit perfectly in a composition, but you just sold that keyboard with that sound on it!

Rob

ha ha ha. Not likely. I'm trying to move away from synths and more towards orchestral sounds anyway, but anyway...I can find lots of good sounds almost anywhere to be inspired by. The keyboards are largely just taking up room and collecting dust these days..

Hi Dewdman, FX teleport works great. I am using Cubase SX2.2 (host) and one server PC with GPO, EWQL Gold, Wusic, RealGuitar2, Albino etc. It's amazing how much stuff you can run in the slave when it doesn't need to run any sequencer software.

hmm I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I'm trying out Teleport. It seems pretty cool. i have a pretty fast laptop with gigabit ethernet in PCMCIA card, 2GB ram, 2.8ghz cpu. At about 3 fully loaded instances of GPO (24 instruments), my laptop is maxed out in the CPU and glitching a lot unless I make the latency really long, then its ok, but still maxed out on the laptop.

Is this about what you all are getting when you use Teleport...24 channels r so of audio from one pc to another over gigabit, or am i sadly missing out somewhere?

just wondering. I'm trying to decide whether to purchase telport or not. At this point I'm rather thinking that its not really ideal for sending lots of channels of audio around. Perhaps its better for something like a reverb that A) can use delay compensation and big buffers, and B) requires a lot of CPU but only 2 tracks of audio over ethernet.

What say you guys?

To add further to that, I should add that I had 24 instruments essentially playing the same midi trackd, which was a polyphonic track....to maybe 50-100 actual polyphonic voices with 24 sounds in the above scenario. From what I've been reading, I still think this is not as good as it could be. I have a big list of things to check out, so I'll report back later. Just wondering if anyone else here is using GPO over teleport and what kind of real world numbers they are getting.

Go Back to forum