• Register
  • Help

Topic: To tweak or Not to tweak

Share/Bookmark

To tweak or Not to tweak

I've read most of the threads about memory configurations and the need for tweaking to get the best performance.
    In my case I do everything on one computer; Video, Photoshop, internet, etc. With 1.5 gigs and no tweeking I have 39% available to load or 442 megs.
    My question is; since this is a multitasking computer should I leave well enough alone? I'm afraid tweaking might affect some of the other applications.

Thanks, Dave M.

Re: To tweak or Not to tweak

Tweaking could very easily affect the other applications, however you should just try and see; you can always put the registry back to the default afterwards.

D

Thanks for the reply. I thought this might be the case. Since I'm a beginner at all of this and I have GS3 and Sonar running perfectly (no crashes in a month) I'm going to leave it alone. I need to just practice putting arrangments together and working with midi for now.

Dave M

Yes, that might be a good start. Matthias is the memory king when it comes to Giga, so maybe he'll chime in here as well. I have recently found that by using quite a drastic memory tweak for GS it stopped me running more than one VSTi with FX-Teleport when GS wasn't even loaded. However, as soon as I reverted to Windows XP default there was no problem.

It may well be that with your system the best for you will be a small tweak for GS in order to load more samples, but not so much that Sonar will not run. You might also want to consider upping your RAM to 2Gb in order to be able to give as much as possible to both apps.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    Yes, that might be a good start. Matthias is the memory king when it comes to Giga, so maybe he'll chime in here as well.
    Chime! FWIW, I think Daryls' advice sounds very reasonable.

And...to Daryl...confirming it works by removing the tweak just saved me some testing. I was just about to start.

/Mattias

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias Henningson
    And...to Daryl...confirming it works by removing the tweak just saved me some testing. I was just about to start.

/Mattias
    Well, it took me about 7 hours to find this out..............!
    D

Question Re: To tweak or Not to tweak

Hello Gents,
    I have 2 GS3 boxes w/ Scope DSP cards in both. The studio box has more DSPs, 30 in total, and the live rig has 18 total. Both have Scope 4.5 and GS3 Orchestra, yes I had to pay twice it sucks but thats my gig. My studio box uses the same CPU as the live rig does also. But my live rig uses ECC DDR instead of the faster Mushkin I have on the studio box. I don't notice any difference w/ the speed of the memory, but my live rig can load up much more instruments and impulses are higher amount too. Each box has 2 GB of RAM in it. Is the ECC the cause of this? If it is, this info is worth sharing, especially since the studio box has Supermicro P4SCT+II, and faster more expensive RAM. My ECC is only PC3200, where as the Supermicro/Mushkin combo is OC'd to 3.9GHz/ @ 233 MHz. The CPUs are the older Northwood 3.4GHz but they are ES samples. The studio box is even OC'd and my little 875 w' ECC seems to have an edge on it. Both are super reliable, and no crashes ever. I'm sure my key-tech who designed them ran into a few when integrating the two apps, but studio and live have worked w/o incident for last year.

James Vogts

James,
    I see you mentioning the Scope cards a lot .....When I did a search, it seems there are a variety of cards with various power .....Which cards are you using in your computers ? .....Thanks, Jim
    PS....Sorry for the hijack ...

Go Back to forum