• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Reverb effects - orchestral pieces

Share/Bookmark

Reverb effects - orchestral pieces

How do you guys use reverb effects when recording orchestral pieces (strings, woodwinds, brass…).

Do you use the same reverb and reverb-settings for the whole orchestra or different reverb/settings for each instrument?

Re: Reverb effects - orchestral pieces

Quote Originally Posted by S-dahl
    How do you guys use reverb effects when recording orchestral pieces (strings, woodwinds, brass…).

Do you use the same reverb and reverb-settings for the whole orchestra or different reverb/settings for each instrument?
    It's agood question.

Sometimes just one setting - with varying degrees of reverb applied from that setting. Or maybe 2 or 3 or 4 settings.

Usually always Altiverb - but sometimes Space Designer.

I used to separate section onto different samplers and tweak reverb to what sounded "good" for each, then tried setting different send levels of convolution for individual instruments + a global reverb, but nowadays I just have one global reverb and nothing else. Instead of having different send levels per instrument, I use different stereo widths based on the size of the sections, and pan them accordingly.

If you think about it, it makes a bit more sense than having separate reverbs since you're all sitting in the same hall. The only advantage I can think of is if you want drastic changes in distance (violins way up close, contrabassoon way in the back) - some reverbs have a simple "distance" parameter that lets you push stuff back pretty realistically. But then again, you can use stereo width for the same function, reducing the spread for instruments that are far away.

One of my most interesting musical experiences was when I played my CD through crappy TV speakers, right after playing Gladiator and Matrix CDs for reference. The speakers were so bad that there was no discernible difference in instrument realism (...yay..?), and the only thing that made it obvious that I used samples was that the instruments didn't convey a sense of depth, it didn't sound like they were being played in an actual concert hall. After that I started using stereo narrowing, and it's made a pretty sweet difference.
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Ya' know, I was actually starting to consider purchasing Altiverb.

But, alas, it is only for Mac .... (and, yep, I am still one of those Windows PC users)

Hey, could anyone recommend a "Windows Equivalent" of Altiverb?

Thanks

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Waves IR-1 or GigaPulse will definitely achieve the convolution quality you desire. Part of Altiverb's value is its collection of impulses. This is something you'll need to examine. GigaPulse has some libraries on the way out which should be, by all reports, fairly spectacular. It definitely has the most possibilities for design, since it has the least pre-conceived structure. IR-1 sounds very good, though, and it has some nice halls available right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary M. Thomas
    There are several available for PC users. In addition to the two already mentioned, check out the free "SIR" Super Impulse Reverb at:

http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html

and the very nice Pristine Space from Voxengo:

http://www.voxengo.com/product/pspace/

You can get some impulses from NoiseVault:

http://www.noisevault.com/index.php

--
    Doug

http://www.dougwellington.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gary M. Thomas
    Ya' know, I was actually starting to consider purchasing Altiverb.

But, alas, it is only for Mac .... (and, yep, I am still one of those Windows PC users)

Thanks
    Altiverb is coming out for PC; it's just a question of when ATM.

Gigapulse could be good in theory, but I don't like any of the IRs. So for me it will be a question of release date; Altiverb, GP with the "better" IRs or MIR (from VSL, if it works, or it is any good). Up 'til then, I'm quite happy with a combination of either Roomworks (comes with Nuendo) or Lexicon PCM70 (if I can be bothered).

And there is nothing wrong with being a Windows PC user (cheaper, faster, more reliable). Over the next few years we'll all be PC users!!!

D

"Gigapulse" sounds good... just wish it didn't use so much RAM.

Hey guys - some really good answers.

Err, not to throw a monkey wrench into this, but the question was "How do you guys use reverb effects when recording orchestral pieces" - S-dahl, is this what you meant, or did you infact mean, "How do you guys use reverb effects when mixing orchestral pieces"?

To me, that is a good question as well. I mean, it is, right? RIGHT?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by RiffWraith
    Hey guys - some really good answers.

Err, not to throw a monkey wrench into this, but the question was "How do you guys use reverb effects when recording orchestral pieces" - S-dahl, is this what you meant, or did you infact mean, "How do you guys use reverb effects when mixing orchestral pieces"?

To me, that is a good question as well. I mean, it is, right? RIGHT?!?!?!?
    I have notice that too and hope this is not what i think it is.

Go Back to forum