Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Group Variation Challenge

Share/Bookmark

Group Variation Challenge - $100 prize

Ok folks, let's have some fun!

Jamie gave me a cool idea for spurring our creativity

I've uploaded a theme for us to write some variations on:

http://evensongmusic.net/pdf/Theme.pdf

now... there is a catch... most of you are not as familiar writing for the organ, so the challenge here is for you to do so!
    These variations are to be for solo organ..... (did you get that?)
    This could be a really neat learning experience!

Here is a range chart:

http://evensongmusic.net/pdf/range.pdf

remember the Pedals only go to the g above middle c...

Remember:
    - there are solo voices and contrasts of color available - I'll be glad to help with this if you need
    - there is NO sustain pedal, so if you want it legato, write it so that a human could actually play it!
    - Most organs only have one expressive division, so be careful about writing 2 solo stops with lots of dynamic changes (and if the organ has 2 expressive divisions, don't write a simultaneous decresc. in one voice while another is cresc. unless you have nothing going on in the feet.. only a 3-footed organist could play that!)

There are many more lessons to learn, most of which will probably come out as a result of this challenge...

There is a prize - all entries that are judged to be innovatove and interesting will be eligible to be part of the group variations, which will be published. The best of the variations (1 winner) will earn a $50 prize from Evensongmusic.net
    You may submit a maximum of three (3) entries or variations on the theme

This does mean that by submitting your variation you agree to allow it to be published, with no promise of remuneration.

I prefer Finale .mus files, but you can send a PDF or a MIDI (no mp3 please - don't want my mailbox choking!)

Send to jonathanorwig (at) gmail (dot) com

Let the games begin....
    Last edited by giwro_jon; 02-28-2006 at 01:06 AM. Reason: title change

Re: Group Variation Challenge

But Jonathan... that's... that's... that's [shivers in horror]... tonal.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    But Jonathan... that's... that's... that's [shivers in horror]... tonal.
    Yeah, but its MODAL

we'll get nutty later - right now the biggest challenge for most folks will be to write for the pipe organ. Once that hurdle is past, we can go on to weirder and better things <giggle>

It looks like an interesting exercise [and even doable, for heaven's sake]... and a great way to get people writing for the pipe organ.

As I have an interest in promoting more attention to the pipe organ myself, I will, having gotten Jonathan's consent, also match his $50.00 with a $50.00 contribution of my own.

That raises the stakes to... $100.00

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks, David!

One little note (ha ha)

Submission deadline is March 26... that gives you almost a month (hey it's a variation, not a whole symphony!)

Question: The theme file you sent implies the key of F (with a Bb) but there is no flat in the key signature. Do you mean Bb or B? Tritones appear in abundance. Makes a difference in the tonality, or is it modal (Mixolydian)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer
    Question: The theme file you sent implies the key of F (with a Bb) but there is no flat in the key signature. Do you mean Bb or B? Tritones appear in abundance. Makes a difference in the tonality, or is it modal (Mixolydian)?

Thanks

<chuckle>

Was wondering if anyone would notice (see above - where I mention "Its MODAL")

Yes, virginia, the B is NATURAL

Quote Originally Posted by giwro_jon
    Thanks, David!

One little note (ha ha)

Submission deadline is March 26... that gives you almost a month (hey it's a variation, not a whole symphony!)
    Welcome, Jonathan.

Some excellent -- and concise -- guidelines on writing for pipe organ.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Fondly recollects the three-footed organists he's known...

Another question: Are we to create the theme presentation and then a variation, or are we to assume that the theme has already been harmonized and presented and we are to provide only a variation based on that theme?

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer
    Another question: Are we to create the theme presentation and then a variation, or are we to assume that the theme has already been harmonized and presented and we are to provide only a variation based on that theme?
    You should assume the theme has already been presented...

It will be a simple harmonization (which I can provide, if folks think that would be helpful)

Your variations will follow, and I will do my best to arrange the variations in a way that makes sense musically

Good Question!

Go Back to forum