• Register
  • Help

Topic: What's best for live performance

Share/Bookmark

What's best for live performance

Hi all. Since this is a virtual instrument forum, I can guess what the slant on this question will be but nonetheless, I am very interested in opinions. I am new to the whole 'music on a PC' thing, although I am very technology competent. I bought a killer PC and Gigastudio 3 Orchestra and a number of very good sample libraries. Due to personal reasons, I have not a lot of time to get going with this new technology. But I have been reading a little lately and I started wondering if the use of virtual instruments might not be better suited to live gigging than sampling software. Anybody want to share opinions or personal experience with live gigging. Thanks ........ Rob

Re: What's best for live performance

Hi,

I would highly recommend Steinberg's Hypersonic 2 for live performance.
    It runs standalone as well as a vsti. The sounds are very good, fast loading, CPU efficient, etc. It has all the bread and butter sounds that you would get with a hardware synth such as a Yamaha Motif or Korg Triton.

Ron

Oh, man. I don't want to get into a copy protection fight on this thread, but I have to say that if it's Steinberg I assume it now uses a dongle, and while I'm against dongles in the studio for technical reasons, I'm totally opposed to using one on the gig. It's far too easy for it to get damaged, and it's not built to stand the kind of treatment the road gives equipment.

End of dongle discussion, I had to say it because of the previous post, noting personal. Rsarja, if you want to respond to that statement, I think it's only fair to take it to a different thread so as to not hijack this one. (And if the program is older and does not use a dongle - never mind...) After I post this, I'll start a new thread on this topic.

But I am definitely of the school that a VSTi or VI is better than Giga for live performance. I tried several times to get a rig I felt reliable enough to use giga, but the requirements are high - you really should have 7200 RPM disk streaming, so you may wind up with an external hard disk.

My decision was a VST wrapper - I'm currently using V-Stack but I'm waiting for Kore. Then the NI B4, IMHO it's the closest to the real thing. Piano? All the good ones are hogs, but the Art Vista piano sounds great live. Electric Piano, I like Mr. Ray.

I'm playing all this from a Roland XP-30 with a Voce Midi Drawbar for the B4 (using B4 Buddy to convert the controllers) so I don't need a synth VI, but I will be changing to theM-Audio Axiom 61 when they ship, and I'll add something, perhaps get one of the Minimoog VIs, for the Jan Hammer effect
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Dasher (and goldberg btw), you should really look into the Brainspawn Forte host. It has all the bells and whistles you need as far as remapping of midi controllers, scenes, songs and set lists etc. VStack works ok in the studio, but it's not designed for live use.

Regarding gigging with laptops... I decided to go with a rack mounted solution when I realized I would have to bring an external hard disk, an external power supply, eventual usb dongles, external sound card... Simply too much clutter and possible problems. I found the rack mounted solution much more robust and I could include a decent DI, a small monitoring mixer etc as well.

/Mattias

Actually, I was just responding to goldberg96. I was giving him my opinion on a great sounding vsti. I don't know why you went off on a tangent about dongles. Your right; (thesoundsmith). What you interjected should be taken to another thread.

Ron

GS3 Orchestra live is very stable for me. I use DSP cards for synths of the Digital nature,i.e.PPG,DX200,D50, and great analog emulations. These are both in the same box. First heard about it during an interview w/ Hans Zimmer. I figured if it became a problem I still had my hardware as back up. Well that was last year, I use my Oberheim XPander and SE-1x still for no DSP or VSTi can touch them as of today for analog sound, but my Emulators,Lexicons,Tape Echo,B3,Matrix 12,CS- 80,and Leslies have been replaced by a much smaller but deadly sounding rig. Motion Sound Pro3 instead of Leslies,Scope for Synths and FX, GS3 for everything else. Since I'm w/o a road crew these days it was important that I don't kill myself physically, and financially. I had to spend a little money, but my sound to me is paramount, as is stability. So when I hear something that can replace something, it has to be stable and sound good.I'm currently gigging in Las Vegas playing what I like the most, Yes,ELP,Hancock,Weather Report, and even Isao Tomita stuff. I'm having so much fun here locally, I might not go back on the the road. I like being my own boss. This place is a players paradise.

Jimmy V.

Quote Originally Posted by rsarja
    Actually, I was just responding to goldberg96. I was giving him my opinion on a great sounding vsti. I don't know why you went off on a tangent about dongles. Your right; (thesoundsmith). What you interjected should be taken to another thread.

Ron
    Ron, unfortunately it is NOT a tangent, the moment you say Steinberg, it becomes an integral part of the question - for live performace, a dongle is a risky thing to bet your career on. If you wish to use Steinberg apps live, you need to address the question, and I have yet to see a satisfactory answer to the issues of security and vulnerability. In the studio, it's not likely to be an issue. On the gig, with several other musicians depending on your instrument to work reliably and consistently night after night, you've got to factor this is.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    Ron, unfortunately it is NOT a tangent, the moment you say Steinberg, it becomes an integral part of the question - for live performace, a dongle is a risky thing to bet your career on.
    I have to agree with soundsmith... I'm still undecided on whether to bring in the Scarbee KGB package in my live rig due to the usb dongle. If it breaks I'd be dead as the rhodes, wurly and clav are totally essential parts live... Up until now I've been using the Kontakt versions of the Scarbee libraries without any problems whatsoever, and I could continue to use them from Kontakt, but I'd miss the wonderful D6. A spare replacement dongle would be a possible solution, but that requires a second license... Currently I'm planning to use the rhodes and wurly in Kontakt and the D6 in the Halionplayer. That will give me some more safety.

In the studio I just fire up the Halion player of course...

/Mattias

Go Back to forum