• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Contemporary Writing

Share/Bookmark

Contemporary Writing

Does anyone here write in a more 20th century style of writing? I only ask because I enjoy composing in that venue also and am not sure if this forum would tolerate the more dissonant features of the 20th century.

A curious newcomer.

Re: Contemporary Writing

not sure what you mean by more contemporary style? Do you mean instead of writing like Mahler? Adams?
    75,000th Post Winner on the Garritan Forum
    "Don't you wish you were me?"

There is extreme diversity in the listening room... of course we all have our tastes, but I don't think you'll find any intolerance on the forum.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer
    Does anyone here write in a more 20th century style of writing? I only ask because I enjoy composing in that venue also and am not sure if this forum would tolerate the more dissonant features of the 20th century.

A curious newcomer.
    Well, if you do a search of the listening room for the lux (David Sosnowski) or myself (rwayland) you will find your answer.

There is quite a variety of music here. So show us what you will, some will like it, some won't, but I would not excpect any of the vicious snide remarks found elsewhere. Here, it would seem that we are interested in the sound of music rather than esoteric, pedantic details. Any criticisms will be intended as help rather than demeaning put-downs. You ought to feel comfortable here.

Richard

A curious newcomer.
    They tolerate me... lol (heaven knows why sometimes)... and I think you could perhaps call Lucifer And Gandhi www.DavidSosnowski.com just ever so slightly dissonant in places.

And I see my colleague Richard Wayland just upstairs, there, too.

Seriously, the forum welcomes ANY style whatsoever with equal enthusiasm!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Post Scriptum:
    Gave up being a twentieth-century composer over six years ago.

A curious newcomer.
    I have not posted a lot of pieces here yet, as I am still getting up to speed on the whole "samples" thing. But I think people would say I am very 20th century.

Ed
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

"Sit there and take your dissonance like a man, you sissy!"

--Attributed to Charles Ives.

"My music is dissonant because life is dissonant."

Attributed to Duke Ellington.

A curious newcomer.
    Well, most of the people here know that I'm an extremely 20th Century kind of guy - and I happen to be one of the moderators . I encourage you to post anything however "dissonant" or experimental you like. My perspective is a bit unusual compared to most: I have difficulty even using the word "dissonant" because, truth be told, I haven't been able to hear dissonance as such (not in the sense of dissonance meaning unpleasant, harsh, etc.), since I was in my teens. By then, and in the years following, I was on a steady diet of Bartok, Ives, Ruggles, Berg, Varese, Xenakis, Stockhausen, Cage, Wuorinen, Monk, Coltane, and on and on. I was on a quest to hear things I hadn't heard before; I wanted to be surprised; I wanted to hear the possibilities. It was an exciting adventure in sound. The result was I became unable to relate to the word "dissonance." Now, decades later, instead of dissonance, what I hear I could best describe as a spectrum of texture. The spectrum runs from thin textures like single notes and unisons, to simple textures like triads, to thick textures like clusters. For me, even a forearm smashed on a piano keyboard isn't dissonant, it's just a fairly thick texture (and a particularly delicious one at that!) So, post whatever you like; there are more than a few of us here who are bound to be interested and appreciative.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sharpe
    I have not posted a lot of pieces here yet, as I am still getting up to speed on the whole "samples" thing. But I think people would say I am very 20th century.

Ed
    Yep, I would say that, and would add, becoming 21st century.

Richard

Go Back to forum