• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tiny JABB Demo - Lyrical Tenor Sax Line

Share/Bookmark

Tiny JABB Demo - Lyrical Tenor Sax Line

Hey all, nothing big here -- just like 45 seconds of JABB's "Tenor Sax 2."

I'm putting together another movement for my sax quartet, so I thought I'd give JABB a shot at it. This is one line from the tenor part. I was a bit skeptical at first--sax samples pretty much never work for slow, lyrical, exposed lines. But wow, some riding of the vibrato controls, a few well-placed slurs, and a touch of the breath noise, and this baby can really sing.

Now, I'm a tenor sax player myself, so I can be very nitpicky--this is still no match for the real thing--but I sure am impressed by how much sensitivity I could coax out of this thing. Certainly better than any library I've used before.

http://tinyurl.com/gotha

I'll post a mockup of the full movement when it's done.

chris.

Re: Tiny JABB Demo - Lyrical Tenor Sax Line

Wow, Chris... I've been trying for a while now to coax that kind of sound out of the JABB tenny sax, and haven't gotten even nearly close.

Anything else you wanna say about how you're doing that, and I'm sure listening...

David.

Well, I basically try to phrase it the way I phrase my own sax playing.

-Vibrato is delayed a bit, and starts slow with a gradual acceleration (it never gets too fast). I mapped Aftertouch and cc17 to adjacent sliders on my controller--I keep them both fairly low, maybe 15-20%, but then I ride them on held notes -- first I bring up the aftertouch, then speed (with a lot of overlap).

Of course the MOD wheel never stops moving, every note is phrased to breathe.

A tiny bit of air noise in the low register helps too--quiet, low playing on the sax is very breathy--JABB's breath noise isn't as "integrated" with the timbre as I'd like, but a touch of it makes a big difference.

The patch helps as well--"Tenor 2" is definitely the most mellow of the JABB tenors, and it lends itself to this kind of sound.

Also, I find that putting a tiny little dynamic boost at the end of a held note gives a much more realistic release, as opposed to just letting it cut off or die out.

Thanks for listening. I'll post the whole thing when it's done...

chris.

Thanks much, Chris! I'm going to hold onto a copy of this for my next go-round with the tenny.

D.

Oh and I forgot to mention one of the most important parts--phrasing.

I went through the line note by note and thought about how I would be tonguing and slurring, and then carefully placed pedals and releases. I've had mixed results with this in general, but on this patch in particular cc64 makes for a pretty nice light Ben Webster sort of tonguing. I wish I could smooth over the glisses a bit more, but I bet with some well placed air/key noise I could improve them.

If I remember from your demo posts (EtLux), you have a strong grasp of woodwind writing--I imagine you'll have no problem with phrasing the JABB saxes.

chris.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    Oh and I forgot to mention one of the most important parts--phrasing.

I went through the line note by note and thought about how I would be tonguing and slurring, and then carefully placed pedals and releases. I've had mixed results with this in general, but on this patch in particular cc64 makes for a pretty nice light Ben Webster sort of tonguing. I wish I could smooth over the glisses a bit more, but I bet with some well placed air/key noise I could improve them.

If I remember from your demo posts (EtLux), you have a strong grasp of woodwind writing--I imagine you'll have no problem with phrasing the JABB saxes.

chris.

Thanks, Chris -- yes, I'm fairly able with woodwind writing.

More what's giving me a problem is getting a reasonably rich tonal quality. But from what you're saying, contrary to other approaches, I think in the case of the JABB sax samples, vibrato and dynamic variation are absolutely essential to developing a satisfactory timbre and color.

David.

Chris - great work there!

You've got a good intimate sound going on - have you considered adding some subtle key clicks as well?
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Go Back to forum