Share/Bookmark

Kirk Hunter Cue (Updated)

Large orchestra cues using 100% Kirk Hunter:

"VR March"
    duration: 02:48

"No Matter Where You Go"
    duration: 03:18

Both now at: http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/v2demos.html

I am coming directly from pen & paper. These are my first sample mock-up attempts, so don't go too hard on me! I could never afford any suitable libraries until KHSO Emerald. I really appreciate any feedback.

-VR

Re: Kirk Hunter Emerald Cue

The strings between :20-:25 were masterfully done, and I liked the rest of it as well. My only quarrel with KHSO is that the brass sounds are almost to "ballsy" so to speak, with not enough definition, but I really like the rest of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fels
    The strings between :20-:25 were masterfully done, and I liked the rest of it as well. My only quarrel with KHSO is that the brass sounds are almost to "ballsy" so to speak, with not enough definition, but I really like the rest of it.
    Thanks a ton Mr Fels, I really appreciate it.

One thing is for sure, the mp3 compression slightly muffles the sound to my ears, and I can hear "swimmy" artifacts on the highs. The .wav file through my Tannoy Reveals sounds noticeably clearer. Once I'm finished (I need more ram to load up the winds and muted strings which are featured next) I'll do a final mix and check it in other playback environments.

It's nicely done and the mix is really sitting inside of my speakers nicely.
    Possibly the contra bass is a bit quiet? Is there one in there?

Anyway ... I like it and would like to hear more.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fels
    That's what I like about the library... In other libraries, the brass are sometimes anemic... I also own the Kirk Hunter brass library... A lot of great brass, both soft and loud...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    It's nicely done and the mix is really sitting inside of my speakers nicely.
    Possibly the contra bass is a bit quiet? Is there one in there?
    Anyway ... I like it and would like to hear more.
    Steve
    Thanks for listening Steve!

Yeah, the ol' bass is sawing away throughout, and a few pizz notes. I checked it and you're right, it's probably a little quiet. I always tend to mix the low end shy on these speakers, because if it has a lot of bass on here, it'll have WAY too much on anything bigger. I just moved so I no longer have a larger system to check mixes on, but maybe I'll make some friends who have stereos.

Hi Von, I finally got home to hear it, very nice feel and orchestration, I liked it...

I really like those pieces, having recently bought KHSO emerald myself but not having time to really play with it yet - to hear what can be done with it makes me want to put everything else on hold so I can sit down and write.

I think I might have speakers somewhat like yours, because to me the bass seems nice and full.

Do I hear slides in the string sections? I don't recall seeing them when looking through the patches - or maybe I just missed them.

I only have one "complaint" - why do you stop them in the middle of everything? the opening titles are so great and upbeat, and then it just stops :/
    I'd love to hear the full cues.

VR,
    The first cue is good, and my respect to you for some decent orchestration.
    The theme building is solid without getting into the variations too quick, or slow. I enjoyed this as a breath of fresh air in a genre that is replete with mundane, uninteresting, examples.

I've also started a litle research into the pros and cons of the KH library. It caught my attention in another demo, and yours seems to confirm there is much of interest in this small but tonally competent package. And trust me, if i can get a decent library to run on one computer with two drives, instead of setting up a herd, i will.
    It's the tone that interests me to start with, then the ease of use.
    In a summary how does it stack up in terms of useability? I don't use kontakt or anything like that, so the library would need to run in logic EXS (or cubase) with a minimum of fuss, and a maximum of potential writing time.

Nice work.

Regards,

Alex.

Re: Kirk Hunter Cue (fixed download)

Quote Originally Posted by Von Richter
    I really appreciate any feedback.
    -VR
    Watch your string slides - don't overdo it.

Go Back to forum