• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Which sequencer to use?

Share/Bookmark

Question Which sequencer to use?

Is there a preferable sequencer to use with VST's? I currently use Cakewalk and am thinking about either upgrading my Cakewalk or changing software packages. I use a PC. Any comments?

Re: Which sequencer to use?

I use Sonar and am quite happy.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Sonar 5 PE here.
    I wouldn't change if ya paid me.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

That's a religious question!

SX3 for me. I've been using Cubase since the Atari computer days and haven't looked back.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Well you can take Logic out of the picture for sure (no VST or PC for current version 7). Not much help but at least that narrows it down a bit.

If you are already using Sonar and are happy with it, why change? Cubase is excellent and maybe has more features, but there is nothing wrong with Sonar, and as you already have some experience with it, you might find it that much quicker to pick up than a new program.

D

Madtracker if you're a G.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit
    Is there a preferable sequencer to use with VST's? I currently use Cakewalk and am thinking about either upgrading my Cakewalk or changing software packages. I use a PC. Any comments?
    One of the main reasons for me to go the Cubase way was that
    Steinberg has invented the VSTi, Cubase is from Steinberg, therefore
    the probability to have compatibility problems is small.

But there are several good sequencers around from other companies as well.

Try to find out what's most important for you and ask again with more details,
    so the recommendations will be based on facts and not on subjective
    preferences.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by bandit
    I currently use Cubase SX3 - and very powerful it is, too, but be aware that it uses the lamest of protection systems in a hardware dongle. A dongle so fussy about it's placement that it will almost certainly insist in using a USB port on the PC as it doesn't really 'like' a hub. That's particularly annoying because the dongle is a 'dead-end' with no way of allowing the USB port to support any other devices once it is attached. As I said - lame.

They upgrade this 'security' periodically and every single time it has then screwed with the working of my audio station - a Carillon. Laughably, the security doesn't work - you can get crack copies of SX3 on eBay any day of the week for a few pounds. So all it ever achieves is to really annoy users. Check the support forums over at steinberg.net to see for yourself.

I'll be changing from Cubase as soon as I have tried out all the major alternatives in FL Studio, Sonar, Reason and Ableton.

Go Back to forum