• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Stylus crashing

Share/Bookmark

Stylus crashing

Hi,

I posted this in the Nuendo forum which yeilded abolutely nothing so i'm bringing my issues here.

This might be more of a system configuration problem more than a VST problem but i'm posting none the less.
    Lately when loading larger VST's (Atmosphere, Stylus RMX) Nuendo has given me Not Responding mesages and slows to a halt. The programs occaisionally load but not until over a minute or so. I do have a lot of VST instruments installed but my drive is still only about 33% full.

The computer has slowed in all it's performance. Drop down menus take far too long to drop down and shutting down the computer takes an unusually long time.

I've done virus scans and don't download anything other than updates. I'm at a loss as to what I can do to make my system run smoothly. Do I need more memory?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Simon

Re: Stylus crashing

Quote Originally Posted by nemo_sim
    Hi,

I posted this in the Nuendo forum which yeilded abolutely nothing so i'm bringing my issues here.

This might be more of a system configuration problem more than a VST problem but i'm posting none the less.
    Lately when loading larger VST's (Atmosphere, Stylus RMX) Nuendo has given me Not Responding mesages and slows to a halt. The programs occaisionally load but not until over a minute or so. I do have a lot of VST instruments installed but my drive is still only about 33% full.

The computer has slowed in all it's performance. Drop down menus take far too long to drop down and shutting down the computer takes an unusually long time.

I've done virus scans and don't download anything other than updates. I'm at a loss as to what I can do to make my system run smoothly. Do I need more memory?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Simon
    You need to give much more info about your system before anyone can help. I don't remember seeing your post in the Nuendo forum, but I'll have a look.

D

I'm using a Music XPC S2.
    http://www.musicxpc.com/products/s2/s2.htm

Stylus 1.5
    Atmosphere
    Trilogy
    Nuendo 2.2
    Yamaha O1X
    Ra
    Stormdrum

....and more.

I hope that helps.

How much RAM do you have? I only ask because Stylus and Atmosphere load directly into RAM and do not stream (AFAIK). This means that you really do need 2GB. If you already have 2GB, then I don't know what to suggest. In that case I suggest you get some help from the PC vendor, as that's what they charge a premium for!

D

The bastards....

I've got a 1 GB of RAM. I had assumed it was a problem with memory as performance has just slowed without any serious errors. I can still work, just very slowly. Hopefully increasing the RAM will clear up my problems.

Thanks.

Yeah, your 1gb system is WAY underspec'ed to run all that you are tring to do simultaneously. I'd suggest more like 3gb of RAM, because its a cumulative thing with all the products....Stormdrum, etc take lots of RAM too.

spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Yeah, your 1gb system is WAY underspec'ed to run all that you are tring to do simultaneously. I'd suggest more like 3gb of RAM, because its a cumulative thing with all the products....Stormdrum, etc take lots of RAM too.

spectrum
    Unless you use the 3Gig switch (which may or may not work) and hack the exe file of Nuendo, there is not really any point in getting more than 2Gb RAM, as it won't be able to use it.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    Unless you use the 3Gig switch (which may or may not work) and hack the exe file of Nuendo, there is not really any point in getting more than 2Gb RAM, as it won't be able to use it.

D
    Sorry i'm a little lost. Would you mind elaborating?

You almost certainly need more RAM to solve your performance problems.

Regarding the /3gb switch, you'll find information about it in your Stylus RMX manual. Use the search function to find "/3gb".

- Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO
    You almost certainly need more RAM to solve your performance problems.

Regarding the /3gb switch, you'll find information about it in your Stylus RMX manual. Use the search function to find "/3gb".

- Glenn

MEMORY ISSUES
    I’m running out of memory on Windows, how should I have my settings optimized for RMX?
    On windows, the paging file size must be at least 1.5Gb (it's best if this is set to let Windows manage it), or, if you have virtual memory turned off, you'll need at least 2Gb of RAM to use RMX fully with a lot of other plug-ins and applications that use RAM.
    If you're getting "Out of memory" warnings with Stylus RMX, please note that we're always looking for ways to reduce the memory usage of RMX and we hope to reduce it further in future updates, but the bottom line is that it is a plugin. That means RMX only has access to whatever memory is left over after your host and other plugins make their claims on memory. So, one way to avoid running out of memory with RMX is to provide it with more memory to begin with (by reducing those other usages of memory) or by increasing the total amount of memory. On windows, you can increase your memory capacity, regardless of how much RAM you have, by using the /3GB switch in your boot.ini file. See instructions here:
    http://searchwinsystems.techtarget.com/tip/
    A word of caution regarding the usage of the /3GB switch on windows: some drivers are not compatible with the /3GB switch. For example, an old ATI driver doesn't work and the Digidesign mbox driver doesn't work. If there's a problem, you'll generally know right away because you're system won't boot. If that's the case, follow the instructions in the above link and boot without the /3GB switch.
    Also note that the "Out of memory" warning in RMX refers to virtual memory, not physical memory. This means that installing more than 2GB of RAM will not help eliminate this condition (although it often improves performance).
    On windows, the paging file size must be at least 1.5Gb, or, if you have virtual memory turned off, you'll need 2Gb of RAM to use RMX fully with a lot of other plug-ins and applications that use RAM.

How much memory do I need to get the best performance out of RMX?
    We recommend that you have at least a gigabyte of RAM for multitimbral use. More is even better!

Go Back to forum