Topic: new cues from tbe new reel

Share/Bookmark

new cues from tbe new reel

Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Thumbs up Re: new cues from tbe new reel

Well I like it: I love mixed media. I thought I heard SAM percussion: what else?
    Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Re: new cues from tbe new reel

Great Compositions. You've got a knack for the cinematic You're definitely gifted so I'm just going to get on with the criticism

In March of the Colossi, the strings around 1:05 sounded keyboardy, and also the swell in Hero between 1:05 and 1:09.

I also think the low brass and/or basses at certain times is cutting through the whole mix, making them sound too close mic'd.

That's all I got.

I really liked these pieces though. I listened to them a few times.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Ash - These are great sounding tracks - thanks for sharing. They definitely capture the "en vogue" orchestral sound! "Where's Ivan" sounds like it could have come straight out of a Metal Gear game (Harry Gregson-Williams), and the orchestration in all the tracks is tight.

The horns in the 3rd track sounded a bit synthetic, though they blended well with the rest of the instruments, so that is a minor complaint.

Excellent work - congrats!

hey thanks all, I didnt even know anyone ws responding in this thread

Doyle, yup SAM TrueStrike, an awesome lib. Not to take away from other perc libs tho, TrueStrike, EWQLSO and VSL each have plusse, once I find the right balance between them, I think my orch percussion pallette will be too much for me to handle still!!

Other things being used? Tons, some silver EWQLSO stuff, some platinum stuff, some pro stuff, some VSL, the old KI Strings, uhm, Vstation, collosus, the kitchen sink?

glad you liked the mixed media, I think its a necessity to have on a demo CD if you're going after games. Its nice to have them mixed in one cue, but sometimes you can only seperate them. The whole CD's got all sorts, These Cues, Big Band, quirky/kids game stuff, World, Electronica and even a heavy metalish tune. While the Jack of all trades thing doesnt always work for the better, it shows a bit of versatility and sometimes that goes over well with soe people looking to deal with ONE outlet for music.

Frog,

replacing the strings and choir in collosi, so I think everyone will be happy to hear the changes

I'm starting to felt hat the over all mixes have a bit of a roll off in the highs, so the "air" is missing. I also think there might be room for jsut a tad bit more reverb. I did these without referencing any other music, jst because I tend to get caught up in matching the whole "real world" response thing. I jsut didnt want to deal with it. I know I can do it, I've proved it to myelf, but now this will be good reference to what my ear are naturally doing wrong and compensating in the future (or when remixing these)

glad you dig the tunes!

Symbiotic,

Which horns are you thinking were bad? in the fanfar/theme or the solo stuff. There's definitely room for more realism, and I'm weeding out the problems as I refresh the template. What other people are hearing are good references. The first thing getting changed is my reliance on "full string" patches for jotting otu strings. Sometimes I get used to the sound and use it in the final mix.
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Quote Originally Posted by KingIdiot
    The first thing getting changed is my reliance on "full string" patches for jotting otu strings. Sometimes I get used to the sound and use it in the final mix.
    I know exactly how that goes. I'll mix down something and think it sounds great and then I'll forget about it for months and go back and listen to it and want to flog myself. I've been engineering for over a decade and I can't detect crappy sounding strings when I hear them? I don't know why it is, but for some reason I can't listen to my own music like I listen to other people's music.

That's why referencing is so beneficial for me. I can't completely fool my own ears when listening to my music against Shrek (Shrek happens to be my ideal orchestral mix. I think they did a tremendous job in that movie).
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Hey just listened to ur stuff, its really good!

I especially like the Where's Ivan piece; it sounds very professional, and incredibly dramatic. Like some1 said earlier this could have been used in metal gear solid. This is great stealth action movie music!

Go Back to forum