• Register
  • Help

Topic: why no demos of sample libs?

Share/Bookmark

Smile Demos of sample libs?

Demos of sample libs?

Re: why no demos of sample libs?

Bela D Media has done this in the past with our Studio B series. We found that many people download (which costs bandwidth) and no one comments that that is the reason they bought it or not. You also have to be careful not to give too much away or they won't need to buy, but then if you limit it too much it won't truely show what it can do - it's a balancing act that most don't care to attempt.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

It's not orchestral, but we have downloadable demo version of most of our pianos. So does PMI
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Quote Originally Posted by Worra
    It's not orchestral, but we have downloadable demo version of most of our pianos. So does PMI
    When you order at bestservice.com there's always a free VSL CD with some
    instruments included.
    I'm sure you can get it even when you don't order something, just drop
    them an email.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Crowning
    When you order at bestservice.com there's always a free VSL CD with some
    instruments included.
    I'm sure you can get it even when you don't order something, just drop
    them an email.
    Tom
    I really wonder if you get much of a feel for the sample library by getting a cut down version anyway.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffn1
    I really wonder if you get much of a feel for the sample library by getting a cut down version anyway.

jeffn1
    For what it's worth, I just double checked, bestservices VSL demo is
    about 2.1 GB.
    Not much, but you can get and idea of how it works and how the instruments
    sound.

Tom

I believe some companies do offer these. SAM, Kirk Hunter, and I think Westgate have all had limited function instrument(s) available for trial use. Mostly they are limited range and only one velocity, but it does give a very good idea of the quality. It seems like a good idea to me. It is often hard to tell from mp3 demos. We can't tell how much time was invested in the demo or if it only showcases the library's stronger articulations. Also, mp3 quality is sometimes less than stellar quality to the ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    Bela D Media We found that many people download (which costs bandwidth) and no one comments that that is the reason they bought it or not. You also have to be careful not to give too much away or they won't need to buy, but then if you limit it too much it won't truely show what it can do - it's a balancing act that most don't care to attempt.
    From my perspective as a user, this sounds dead-on accurate. If the demo doesn't have enough, I tend not to like it, even if I know that what is lacking is unique to the limitations of the demo. That's just the psychology of it.

On the other hand, if I do go ahead and buy something, I assume the developer would know I like the product without my having to explicitly say so. After all, I did make the purchase.

Real Guitar is one exception for me. Their demo consisted of a fully functional, 30 day time-limited single guitar, (out of the 8 they offer with the program) and I doubt I would have made this purchase without the demo.

But usually, as with GPO, JABB, etc., I listen to .mp3 files made by others, and then go by word of mouth on forums such as this one. For instance, Studio B is on my wish list, and I'm going to get it after I get one or two other things first, because 1) the .mp3 examples gave me what I needed to hear, and 2) it's been well-spoken of by people here who don't hand out praise gratuitously or easily.

A little downloadable trial demo wouldn't be a deal maker/breaker either way, I don't think.

Cheers,

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Sharmy
    Gold Cellos Flowing.nki
    is pretty much the best patch I've ever heard from a commercial sample library. It's a very good demo patch because it sounds natural. Too bad it seems to be the only patch in EWQLSO that sounds so good.

Quote Originally Posted by janila
    is pretty much the best patch I've ever heard from a commercial sample library. It's a very good demo patch because it sounds natural. Too bad it seems to be the only patch in EWQLSO that sounds so good.
    I like that one too!

Go Back to forum