• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: VSL VI - So far so good

Share/Bookmark

VSL VI - So far so good

Posted this at the VSL website. But not all of you visit there, so I figured I would post here as well.
    -----------------------

just wanted to give my thoughts after playing around with the VI for some hours. First of all the new interface is relatively easy to learn considering its complexity - well thought out. The new patches are really nice - i'm sure many people will be very happy with the ponticello, harmonics, and the legato zigane (to mention some highlights)

I'm still trying to get my head around the enormous potential of this beast. One of the REALLY useful things is the ability to blend between patches. I used it for legato and legato portamento... crossfading bewteen these patches works wonders and really adds to the simplicity of play. Earlier you had to choose between crossfading velocities or patches. Now you can create a patch where you can crossfade velocities AND patches. Awesome!

Also all performance legati have been looped. I'm sure this will make quite a few Pro. Ed users very happy.

Now a few minor nags so far. The loading time of patches wasn't quite what I expected - its still faster than GS3, but it seemed instant in the tutorials (Herb says a little proram to optimize loading will be released soon). Then there is speed control. While a nice thing in theory, I doubt I'll be using it except maybe for changing between fast and slow legato. So those who are hoping that this will be the solution to end all might be disapointed.

But these are minor nags - so far the VI is really great, and acheivement in design/programming. Also I might be imagining things but it even sounds better (the 24bit might be audiable after all )

Re: VSL VI - So far so good

Christian,
    I'm sure many will read this with interest.
    Have you tried loading multiple instances of the same instrument yet?

regards,

Alex.

Doesn't Redmatica's tools make any difference to the loading times Christian?

Hi Paul, i'm not using Logic. PC+Cubase SX3

Redmatica is for Mac yes?

Alex - I just tried it after reading your post. No problem whatsoever - but I'm not sure how there could be a problem?

Its on two seperate midi channels, and work like two different instruments for all intents and purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    I'm not sure Christian - you may be right!

Anyway - time you got yourself a Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen

Alex - I just tried it after reading your post. No problem whatsoever - but I'm not sure how there could be a problem?

Its on two seperate midi channels, and work like two different instruments for all intents and purposes.
    I only ask, given the instruments will draw from the same sample pool.
    Good to hear it's no problem, and useful to know you did it and gave an answer so quickly!
    Probably too early to tell, but how improved, at this stage, does it seem in relation to your previous working practise?

Regards,

Alex.

That is too early to tell. Mostly because there are som many ways you could set up your instruments that you really need to use alot of time to set them up. However I can imagine that once thats done I'm sure my workflow will speed up.

Thing is, the advantage of 14 miditracsk per instrument is that you have a clear overview of the ariculations. With the new VI all that is hidden from you unless you open the VI's interface. Therfore you need to know each of your matrices fairly well and use the same setup for most instruments (I.e. switching to staccatos always uses the C1 keyswitch etc)

But i'm pretty exited about the posibilities. Also even if my workflow does not speed up, I'm sure I will make more interesting music. Earlier it was a pain to crossfade say sustains into tremelo, or regular legato to portamento - now its so easy that I think I will find myself doing these advanced tricks more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    I don't think it would affect loading times of the new VSL VI. It's designed to re-link EXS-24 files within Logic, and the new VSL VI has nothing to do with EXS-24.

Lee Blaske
    This is correct. It links EXS24 instruments with the appropriate samples.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Did you try the fast legato? or is it legato zigane?

Thanks for posting this Christian. I still haven't made a final decision, but you're tempting me!

- Mike Greene

Go Back to forum