• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Apple Jam Packs - Anyone using 'em?

Share/Bookmark

Apple Jam Packs - Anyone using 'em?

There isn't a lot of info out there about people using the Apple Jam Packs for Garageband:

http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/jampacks/

I know many people think because the Jam Packs are associated with a 'consumer' app (Garageband) that they are not worth messing with, or that they don't stand up against higher-priced libs. I, for one, am intruigued by the scant reviews and demos I have heard out there.

I'm interested in the VI aspects of the Jam Packs, not necessarily the loops. Anyone have any experience with the Jam Packs, esp. the Rhythm Section, Symphony Orchestra, or the new 'World'???

Re: Apple Jam Packs - Anyone using 'em?

the sounds are quite good...well, mostly loops, so the drawback is, you have a lot of work to match the sound if you want to extend or compose around it in any way. Though I think there is a way to use some of the instruments in Logic via the sampler instruments or Channel Strip.

But the sound quality is what I'd describe as "mid-end" ....not quite up to the best samples available, but still pretty good (the Symphony Jam Pack). the Rhythm section actually has some very good stuff, but again the problem is how to integrate musical loops in your composition when you need more than just a couple of grooves or licks.

What I find really cumbersome (not easy) to use is the Loop Browser. You can select whther you want to browse all your Loops or just one collection (a Jam Pack or whatever), but other than that you're stuck with apple's categories.

Nigel

The World one is great fun and sounds much better than the price would have you beleive (it's 12 gigs!). The orchestral one is very useable too, I have found it more than acceptable is a lot of situations.

Thanks all - you can open the instruments in Logic...I'm just curious about anyone's use of the VI's. Loops are so not a part of what I do...but I'm not 'against' loops, especially if a side benefit is getting some nice VI's that are natively integrated into Logic.

Someone wrote somewhere that the samples from Jam Pack 4 - Symphony Orchestra have their basis in the Vienna libraries, even sharing some of the same file names!

Certainly one can only expect somuch from a $99 library...and I know much of the material is loops...but I keep coming accross snippets of amazement in reviews...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel W

but again the problem is how to integrate musical loops in your composition when you need more than just a couple of grooves or licks.
    The very best way to approach loops is to consider them the "less realistic" option, compared to MIDI sequencing of instrument multisamples.

I would suggest, first, never using a loop as it comes. Cut it into its component pieces, rearrange them, shift them in pitch or other ways, load the individual slices (a la REX/Spectrasonics/etc.), combine slices from several grooves into a new one...etc.

Same with orchestral material. Don't use any of it as recorded. Hack it to shreds, radically alter the shreds, and seek to create a much larger and more varied pool of material.

It sometimes helps to limit yourself...to pick a small set of loops and to restrict yourself to creating a complete and amazing musical journey from just that tiny few scraps of material. Sometimes it helps to look at a looped track as more of an oscillator with which to excite some other thing. For instance, to create a wild groove with some drum loops, then use that as a gate controlling a drone or even a rhythmic guitar.

You have to approach the techniques of using loops as a genre unto itself, or it goes straight to cheesytown.

Totally agree with your take on the use of loops, Bruce. They should be approached as another color in the pallette, not the be-all-end-all of your 'sound'.

My main use of loops - when I've been inclined to use them - has been of the "I don't feel like playing in a bar of eighth-note shaker" or the like.

I guess I'm still very interested to hear anyone's experience with these Apple VI's...looking forward to it!

Am I to understand from all this that most of the Garage Band content is audio loop oriented?

How much audio (multi-sample) content is there, if any?

Just curious.

Funny you guys mention the loop content, I don't think I have ever used the loops, I only use the instruments which are many and pretty comprehensive.

Again - I don't really care about the loops. TO me they're just an added feature.

ELP71

Go Back to forum