• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Be careful with your mac

Share/Bookmark

OT: Be careful with your mac

Re: OT: Be careful with your mac

I like how the report says:

"Although no attackers were known to be exploiting the bug, experts said it was easy to write code to take advantage of the flaw."

Its like the media is pushing for a big virus/worm outbreak on the Mac so they have a juicy story..

I'm normally a fan of the BBC, but come on. That's yellow journalism, complete with a "virus attack" subhead. Very misleading.

Just turn off the "Open safe files after downloading" preference in Safari.

Wouldn't setting your Safari preferences to NOT open "safe" files after downloading give you some protection? That way, if you click on a "malicious" link to an unwanted download -all very hypothetical, this- you would get a chance to consider whether you want it or not.

Nigel

I think that getting a virus on any platform is over-hyped. As Nick says, you just have to be careful. ATM on a MAC I don't think that there is much chance, but I think that this will all change with MacIntel, partly because OSX is possibly less secure than Windows XP, and partly because many Mac users have been living under a comparative sense of security for many years.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    partly because OSX is possibly less secure than Windows XP
    Interesting. Do you have anything concrete to back that up?

partly because many Mac users have been living under a comparative sense of security for many years.
    I remember a time when it was Macs that were vulnerable to viruses. OS X changed that dramatically...

Doug

P.S. For those who care, I use Linux, BSD, Tru64, Solaris, VMS and Windows at work and OS X and Windows at home...

Maybe biased, but interesting reading all the same.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1915923,00.asp

D

Nigel: Yes, that's what I'm saying. Don't open any unknown files; turn the preference to open them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Wellington
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    partly because OSX is possibly less secure than Windows XP

Interesting. Do you have anything concrete to back that up?
    "Less secure than Windows" is a bit of a stretch... I mean, executable GIF images... doesn't get less secure than that!!!

Haven't read the BBC article yet. I'm sure OSX has some exploits that have not been seen yet and probably haven't been tested for. To whit: http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/securit...9234678,00.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    Nigel: Yes, that's what I'm saying. Don't open any unknown files; turn the preference to open them off.
    That's a fine security measure. The problem is that preference is ON by default, right? This is the problem with windows -- the backdoors were left open on purpose, and only when it becomes a problem is there a security patch or 3rd party product (anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc.) to fix the security hole that shouldn't have existed in the first place! That is lazy security, and as a software developer myself or many years, it's inexcusable, in my humble opinion. Now, how many backdoors like this simple file download preference exist in OSX? Who knows... I hope for the sake of my Mac brethren that they are few and far between...

... because for any of you who are saying "what's the big deal?", "viruses and spyware aren't that big of a deal?" etc. etc... you obviously have never had the, uh, pleasure of trying to rid a PC infected with trojans and other nasties. Many times, unless you have the right combination of 3rd party scrubbing tools, the only option for the poor infected user is to wipe the disk and start over...

Now, on the "safe file download" thingy-majiggy... I don't use OSX and don't know exactly what a "safe file" is and how the OS treats them... BUT this statement from the article would concern me:

This makes it possible to have files look benign by labelling them as images but, behind the scenes the operating system will know it is dealing with a proper program and run it as such.
    Does that include fake images that will be downloaded to your browser cache? Image refs in HTML doesn't give you the option to not download, unless you turn off that preference too... So... ask yourself...

Do you feel lucky, punk?

(For those who didn't get that... your browser just downloaded the above "safe" JPG image to your browser cache)

Go Back to forum