• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO demo - Piano Sonata #10

Share/Bookmark

GPO demo - Piano Sonata #10

Ok, folks, I picked the next shortest of these to prepare (the scores are a BEAR to transcribe). It's a mere 6-7 minutes of music, but very concisely written, and I can see the musical growth of the composer, 20 years later after Sonata 1. This piece was written in 1950, only 3 years before the composer's death, and bears the opus number 110. There are 3 mvts:

Vivace - a 2-part canon for most of the way... it really reminds me of Scarlatti
    Andante - a jazzy chorale, followed by flowing 2-against-3, a couple of digressions, peaceful ending
    Vivace assai - whirling 15/8 finale... again puts me in mind of Scarlatti (except for the harmony)

http://evensongmusic.net/audio/Paul_...auSonate10.mp3

Do enjoy.... 9 more to come!

Cheerio,

Re: GPO demo - Piano Sonata #10

Wonderful piece, with that rather curious canonic preludium falling into the meditative and somewhat hesitant andante... and then the swirling, almost windy autumnal finale. You can hear the echoes of [the piece you did earlier?] a younger Maleingreau; but then, the more mature, reflective, complex mind of the older composer at work.

Great job on this, Jonathan!

Thank you for bringing this to us. One ponders how much great music is simply never heard...

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

These are wonderful pieces. Thanks for bringing them to life.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Wonderful piece, with that rather curious canonic preludium falling into the meditative and somewhat hesitant andante... and then the swirling, almost windy autumnal finale. You can hear the echoes of [the piece you did earlier?] a younger Maleingreau; but then, the more mature, reflective, complex mind of the older composer at work.

Great job on this, Jonathan!

Thank you for bringing this to us. One ponders how much great music is simply never heard...
    Thanks for the kind words David!

Yes, one can hear the voice of the same composer... so many of us struggle to create "our" sound - I think this fellow found his niche.

I'm seriously tempted to see if I can get MORE of these scores from the composer's granddaughter.. I'd love the hear the chamber stuff!

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    These are wonderful pieces. Thanks for bringing them to life.
    Bill
    Thanks, Bill!

Quote Originally Posted by giwro_jon
    Thanks for the kind words David!

Yes, one can hear the voice of the same composer... so many of us struggle to create "our" sound - I think this fellow found his niche.

I'm seriously tempted to see if I can get MORE of these scores from the composer's granddaughter.. I'd love the hear the chamber stuff!
    Indeed, I was quite struck by the relationship of the earlier work and the latter one -- it is the same voice, but speaking with greater abstraction, greater confidence and faith in the listener to leap across chasms of inference. What Maleingreau apparently felt was no longer necessary to explicitly say elevates the work to a higher plain of elegance in its sparsity and unapologetic lack of self-explanation.

I would greatly look forward to the possibility of hearing some of his chamber work. This fellow is no mere narrator, but a full-throated poet.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I try to make my comments always directly to the point: More!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    I would greatly look forward to the possibility of hearing some of his chamber work. This fellow is no mere narrator, but a full-throated poet.
    I asked the gentleman who obtained this music for me "why is this music not being heard and recorded"?

His response: "Because he's not French"

That little quip may or may not make sense, but points out a kernel of truth - much of being heard as a composer boils down to being in the right place at the right time (or being FROM the right place) and having no fear of self-promotion. I will pass your comments on to his granddaughter - I'm sure she will be thrilled!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    I try to make my comments always directly to the point: More!
    Tom
    <bows>

"Your wish is my command!"

I really like this composer's piano writing! Many thanks for realizing for someone like me, who would have never heard it otherwise. Isn't GPO great? Outstanding work, I can imagine how much work the transcription takes! Well done!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast