• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Pitchbend Out of Tune on Solo Strings

Share/Bookmark

Pitchbend Out of Tune on Solo Strings

While using some of the solo strings in GPO and I noticed that the pitch bend range is off... Bending to the maximum excursion of the pitch bend wheel in either the + or - direction results in pitches which are, respectively, too sharp or too flat.

This is a problem with Solo Strad 2 Player 1, Cello 1 KS Solo, and various other solo strings.

I've confirmed that my pitch wheel is putting out the full range of MIDI values, so the problem isn't there. And my pitch wheel works fine with other MIDI synths, so the problem must lie with GPO/Kontakt Player.

My arrangement calls for many gentle portamento gestures and now I'm going to have to go in deep and edit pitch bend parts. This is a real problem for me right now, especially as I have a deadline approaching...

Can anyone else confirm this problem?

Re: Pitchbend Out of Tune on Solo Strings

Quote Originally Posted by orkguy
    Can anyone else confirm this problem?
    I can. There was a bug in Kontakt that saved semitone settings with fractional additions. 2 semitones became 2.2 semitones. This has been fixed but the fix won't be available until the next GPO update is released. This is not normally a problem because pitchbend is generally used as a "slide into" function not a "slide to and hold" function. The later function is usually handled with the portamento (cc20) feature in legato mode. So, the good news: You aren't crazy (well, not concerning this anyway); the bad news: You are probably among only a few who are working in a way that revealed the problem. Even though I've been aware of it for some time, you are, to my knowledge, the first to actually report this one.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply and for confirmation that I'm not, er, totally crazy .

FWIW, I never thought to use portamento with GPO, because in my overall experience, portamento always sounds totally fake on sampled instruments. At least with pitch bend I can totally control the curve. When I get some time I'll listen to GPO portamento and see if it sounds better than what I'm used to hearing.

Usually I would indeed do what you said -- slide into a note -- but in this case the target note(s) I was sliding into sounded too bright. In this particular instance it was better that the sound of the pitch-bent sustained notes sounded dark, which worked well since the part had a diminuendo after the pitch bend.

you are, to my knowledge, the first to actually report this one.
    Um, yeah... it's kinda par for the course that if I get my hands on software of any kind I'll quickly find ALL the little bugs/glitches. Not that I ever look for them intentionally. It just happens... And speaking of which, er, um, if you have a minute, would you mind checking one other thing? In Violin 1 Gagli KS Solo I hear a tick/glitch in the sample at D3 (middle D). It happens pretty quickly after the attack, less than 1 second into the note.

[edited for spelling! ]

There's an even worse click in the Oboe 3 modern solo after appr. 2 sec. Hopefully these bugs (incl. the trumpet 1 solo KS) get fixed in a not too distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    There's an even worse click in the Oboe 3 modern solo after appr. 2 sec. Hopefully these bugs (incl. the trumpet 1 solo KS) get fixed in a not too distant future.
    More info please. Which note?

Tom

Ooops, sorry senility seems to be setting in. It is the C#5 (when C4 is middle C). And the trumpet bug, I referred to, is about the missing notes in the notation set. I believe you know about this one. A real nuisance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    .....This has been fixed but the fix won't be available until the next GPO update is released. This is not normally a problem because pitchbend is generally used as a "slide into" function not a "slide to and hold" function. The later function is usually handled with the portamento (cc20) feature in legato mode. So, the good news: You aren't crazy (well, not concerning this anyway); the bad news: You are probably among only a few who are working in a way that revealed the problem. Even though I've been aware of it for some time, you are, to my knowledge, the first to actually report this one.
    Hi Tom,

I tried portamento, and it's a no-go. Sounds totally wrong. I'll stick with pitchbending as I have for umpteen years to achieve realistic (as possible) portamento/gliss effects with string patches.

This pitchbend bug is a major problem for me. At the present moment I have to resort to using [ahem] "other" libraries for my string arrangements because of this bug. I could use that update, er, um, right now... When is the Kontakt player update going to be available?

Quote Originally Posted by orkguy
    When is the Kontakt player update going to be available?
    Wish I could give you a date but I can't right now. There are about 10,000 things vying for attention and they must take their turn. In addition, priorities sometimes change day-to-day depending on deadlines (not always ours.) The next update will arrive when all of the changes that need to be made are complete and tested. My crystal ball is a little murky.

Tom

If you are using a sequencer like SONAR, for example, the midi event filter can be used to change/limit the range of the pitch wheel. No doubt other sequencers have similar capabilities.
    Bill

I use Logic, and its MIDI filters are just that; they either pass or block selected MIDI messages.

On the flip side, Logic does have what are called Transformers which can be programmed to, among other things, limit the range of controllers, pitch bend, etc. But between the bugs and other errant behaviors in Logic and various other pluggies I already have too much to deal with re workarounds, GPO Kontakt adding yet one more problem to the pile. Until the bug is fixed I'd rather just use other orchestral pluggies that pitch bend accurately than deal with added complexity needed to accommodate GPO's pitch bend bug.

Go Back to forum