• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Topic: Get Ye On iTunes?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Get Ye On iTunes?

    http://www.tunecore.com/

    Ran across this... don't know much about it, and maybe you all know of it already -- but it looked interesting.

    Anybody doing this?

    Best,

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  2. #2

    Re: Get Ye On iTunes?

    This service looks interesting, but they charge a $7.98 annual fee and you pay $.99 for each song you want submitted to iTunes. You keep 100% of the money iTunes pays (they don't say how much that is), but even if you make no sales, you still spend money. Additionally, they're new and the quality of their service at this point is, by definition, unknown.

    Alternatively, CD Baby has been around for a long time and has a pretty good rep. They, too, have a plan. They keep 9% of what iTunes pays and you keep 91%. However, you pay no annual or startup fees, and no fees to submit your songs. Personally, I'd rather give up the 9% and not have to pay anything since selling tunes without airplay or adequate promotion is iffy at best, but that's just my personal take on it.

    [edit]
    I just read further, and it says that the 91% averages about $.60, so you're giving up about $.06 per download when a sale is made. Therefore, I'd assume that the other service pays you $.66 per download after you pay the $7.98 per album / per year + the $.99 per song registered.
    [/edit]

    Here's the link to the CD Baby plan.

    http://cdbaby.net/dd
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com


  3. #3

    Re: Get Ye On iTunes?

    Your usual shrewd observation and analysis, Chris; thank you.

    You know, I really wonder what your chances are like on something like iTunes, in any event.

    Amid -- how many other titles? -- are you even apt to get heard?

    David.
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Orcas Island
    Posts
    11,454

    Re: Get Ye On iTunes?

    What a coincidence David that you mention this.

    I have been corresponding with Jeff Price of TuneCore and was interested in taking the GPO demos and putting them on iTunes. I had asked Tunecore about putting up 700-100 songs.

    Chris has the details right. Songs (even if it is just one) must be associated with an album and an album can hold up to 74 minutes of music - if you are able to put 700 songs on one album ( meaning the running time of all the songs on the album is less than 74 minutes) you may do so. If you want to make 700 different albums, and each album only has one song on it, you can do that too.

    The REGULAR pricing at TuneCore to deliver your music to iTunes and other services is:

    $0.99 a song
    $0.99 for each service you would like your Album placed in ( iTunes US is free)
    $7.98 annual fee for each album

    Think of TuneCore somewhat like Federal Express. That is, TuneCore delivers your music and gets you into the iTunes store but it has no control over the iTunes store.

    iTunes does NOT give away songs for free, it sells them. This would mean each artist would get a royalty. This may be an accounting concern if we were to do this.

    What would you think about putting all of the demos up on iTunes?

    Gary Garritan

  5. #5

    Re: Get Ye On iTunes?

    I would think, that it's about time I come up with some demo's

  6. #6

    Re: Get Ye On iTunes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    What a coincidence David that you mention this.

    I have been corresponding with Jeff Price of TuneCore and was interested in taking the GPO demos and putting them on iTunes. I had asked Tunecore about putting up 700-100 songs.

    Chris has the details right. Songs (even if it is just one) must be associated with an album and an album can hold up to 74 minutes of music - if you are able to put 700 songs on one album ( meaning the running time of all the songs on the album is less than 74 minutes) you may do so. If you want to make 700 different albums, and each album only has one song on it, you can do that too.

    The REGULAR pricing at TuneCore to deliver your music to iTunes and other services is:

    $0.99 a song
    $0.99 for each service you would like your Album placed in ( iTunes US is free)
    $7.98 annual fee for each album

    Think of TuneCore somewhat like Federal Express. That is, TuneCore delivers your music and gets you into the iTunes store but it has no control over the iTunes store.

    iTunes does NOT give away songs for free, it sells them. This would mean each artist wopuld get a royalty. This may be an accounting concern if we were to do this.

    What would you think about putting all of the demos up on iTunes?

    Gary Garritan
    As in, all the demos from the Listening Room?

    So long as you give each artist a chance to opt out... for instance, personally, I'd probably rather not, in some cases.

    But I think a great many people would be highly receptive!

    Gary, the accounting, though... gosh, wouldn't that be something of a nightmare?

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Orcas Island
    Posts
    11,454

    Re: Get Ye On iTunes?

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    As in, all the demos from the Listening Room?

    So long as you give each artist a chance to opt out... for instance, personally, I'd probably rather not.

    But I think a great many people would be highly receptive!

    Gary, the accounting, though... gosh, wouldn't that be something of a nightmare?

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .
    I was thinking of all the people. But I would have to contact hundreds of people to get permission. Then catalog all this and albumize them. Then devise a way to get royalties to them. Phewww!!! Would be a lot of work.

  8. #8

    Re: Get Ye On iTunes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    I was thinking of all the people. But I would have to contact hundreds of people to get permission. Then catalog all this and albumize them. Then devise a way to get royalties to them. Phewww!!! Would be a lot of work.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking -- I've got a real good idea what it would take, and it's practically a whole 'nother company!

    I wonder maybe if a separate group deal of some kind might be negotiated, and might be a better way to do it... why duplicate half of what the related services already do?

    By the way -- is there anyone in the music industry, anywhere in the entire cosmos, whom you haven't talked to... lol?

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    1,175

    Re: Get Ye On iTunes?

    Playing the devil's advocate, why would anyone pay to download a piece of music if you can download the same music here for free?

    Jeff

  10. #10

    Re: Get Ye On iTunes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Playing the devil's advocate, why would anyone pay to download a piece of music if you can download the same music here for free?

    Jeff
    That's a good question. Many site members, like myself, also freely post our pieces on our own sites.

    But I think, given exposure, whether free elsewhere or not, many people would still buy from iTunes. Few outside the music industry are likely to know the GPO and this forum, let alone our private sites. And there are also issues of convenience, packaging, safety, delivery, etc., that would probably work to iTunes benefit.

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •