• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Ease of Use String Sample Library - Opinions Wanted

Share/Bookmark

Ease of Use String Sample Library - Opinions Wanted

Hi,

First time post.

As a composer and concert pianist, dispite the tweak head nature in me, I prefer to compose/play not tweak samples. Tweaking on sound EATS UP GOBS OF TIME --- and no one is going to say -- "Hey your a great tweeker -- wow!"

What string library offers me the greatest ease of use with the highest quality of sound.

In other words, I want great sound but with minimal tweak. I am AMAZED by the Garitan Stradivari.

I am coming off Kirk Hunters Virtuoso String Orchestra Series (Gads! now selling at 49 bucks?!!! I bought in a $995!)

I will run this on a Mac dual 2GHZ - OS X running Logic 7. Price is not too much of an issue --- but gads what a loss on the Kirk Hunter stuff (that stuff was primo just 4 years ago).

Re: Ease of Use String Sample Library - Opinions Wanted

Giiven your parameters you could look at VSL's new Virtual Instrument, which is designed to automate a lot of the process pf realizing various string articulations. And Garritan GPOA is rumored to have some bold new features along the lines of the Strad- but no delivery date in sight yet.

Thanks Fred

I thought VSL's new Virtual Instrument was a tweak head program. I thought you go in and tweak the note so they sound more legato.

I was not aware that VSL's new Virtual Instrument was automatic --- so it is easy to use? Yes?

Any idea when the Garitan will be released? --- darn I was ready to order tomorrow!

Oh now... Fred, here is some new info. The Garitan site says that the Stradivari is now shipping!

But I am just going by the site --- I have not called in yet.

The Stradivari is out yes, and it's a great instrument. It's probably exactly what you want, but it's only a solo violin and I thought you were looking for a full string section- sorry if I made things confusing! A Solo Cello is on the way, and presumably the rest of the strings after that but it will be a little while before you can make a whole section. GPOA is Garritan Personal Orchestra Advanced- that's what I meant when I said "no release date in sight."

VSL's VI is supposed to make life easier- you preload many articulations in a matrix and use real time playing techniques like speed and velocity to switch between them. Probably has a learning curve but should allow much more real-time expression in your playing than most of what's out there now. I believe there are videos on VSL's website. If money's no object, I'd get VSL AND the Strad and layer them together, using the Strad for solos!!

The VSL VI is in mid-shipment at the moment, so I would leave it a couple of weeks before you make any decision, as by that time many of us will have had a chance to play with it.

Like you I don't like tweaking, so I am hoping that after setting up the templates I will be able to do a lot of stuff in real time.

D

First I just want to say - YEEEHHHAAAAA I'm getting the new VI tonight!!

Secondly - Piano - You ought to watch the tutorial videos on the VSL site. Should give you a good idea of how it works, and its enormous potential.

Gee, I checked out VSL's videos on the performance instruments - Great videos!

However, it looks like that may get the best of my tweaker side...

I just want a violin or cello --- simple, just put it up for me to play.

Basially, I want to be able to pull up a sample and for it to sound great and responsive for 90% of what is done with the instrument --- and other esoteric stuff I be willing to tweek.

Is VSL too tweak heavy?

Well, for violin Garritan has you covered- the Strad is 100% real time. And a cello is on the way!!

Without wanting to sound nasty, I have to wonder why you think any developer would come out with a "tweak-heavy" library if it were possible to get 90% of the way to a real string instrument without doing any work?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast