• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Can we throw away all our cables except ethernet?

Share/Bookmark

Can we throw away all our cables except ethernet?

This is only semi-topical, but since there's been a lot of discussion of network transmission of formerly proprietary audio-related data in a Giga context, I thought it would be reasonable to post something general on the topic.

Between MOL, Giga-Teleport and/or Wormhole, and now VNC applications, it seems like it's possible to move a studio's entire data flow to a general-purpose ethernet connection. I'm curious how much digital traffic along these lines a typical local network can take before its performance degrades below the level of traditional connections.

For example, is it reasonable to network two Giga PC's to a host machine, sending their audio through Teleport or Wormhole, doing MIDI exclusively via MOLCP, and using a VNC solution to view the Giga machines' video output and send mouse/keyboard commands, all at once? Has anyone tried this sort of "everything by ethernet" solution and gotten good results?

Re: Can we throw away all our cables except ethernet?

It's definitely possible, and I've been using the setup now for almost two years. 4 machines, one sequencer and three servers. No monitor, keyboard, mouse or soundcard on the servers. I have a gigabit network based on an ordinary 8-port gigabit switch and I'm using the FXTeleport/Giga VST Adapter combination to send midi and audio back and forth between the machines. MS Remote Desktop is used to control the servers. Works well enough for me whatever that means... I'm not always using all servers at once, for most projects one or two servers is enough.

I will admit there are times when I miss having sound cards in the machines, but the pros are definitely dominating.

/Mattias

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias Henningson
    It's definitely possible, and I've been using the setup now for almost two years. 4 machines, one sequencer and three servers. No monitor, keyboard, mouse or soundcard on the servers. I have a gigabit network based on an ordinary 8-port gigabit switch and I'm using the FXTeleport/Giga VST Adapter combination to send midi and audio back and forth between the machines. MS Remote Desktop is used to control the servers. Works well enough for me whatever that means... I'm not always using all servers at once, for most projects one or two servers is enough.

I will admit there are times when I miss having sound cards in the machines, but the pros are definitely dominating.

/Mattias
    That's good to hear Mattias , i did exaxtly the opposite caus i was afraid of that, it sounded complicated and all, i like to keep it simple but i know i will regret it when comes the time to bounce all my audio. I might change my mind though, but i feel i have more power whit this setup + i'm old fashion even if i'm newbe .

I will admit there are times when I miss having sound cards in the machines,
    When?

Mathias, when you say ordinary switch, what do you mean? I was just looking at adding another gigabit switch. I already have a Netgear switch and was going to buy another one that was on sale. The sale item was a Netgear but a different model. I compared the two and see that my original has more throughput or something than this other model that is on sale. Sorry I can't remember the specifics. I am not sure what this means and if it matters. Any idea what I am talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Deak
    Mathias, when you say ordinary switch, what do you mean?
    I just meant that it's no high-end expensive switch, just one of the switches you can buy almost everywhere nowadays. If you want to check something, check the back-plane speed (bandwith) to make sure it can sustain high speeds even if you use several ports simultaneously.

/Mattias

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    I might change my mind though, but i feel i have more power whit this setup
    If you have the gear, why not. I realized that I sooner or later would end of in an all-software solution and simply decided to try it right away. I guess I was one of the first to go all ethernet as I was even using a beta version of FXT/GVA in the beginning...

The main issue I have is when running out of processing power on the sequencer machine and I need to bump the latency setting in order to continue working. This causes the latency to the servers to change as well and makes tracking using instruments on the servers pretty much impossible... As long as you keep the latency low everything works smooth. One thing that would be interesting to have is a possibility to deactivate delay compensations and things like that and make the software solution work more like the hardware counterpart. Send and receive as fast as possible, period.

/Mattias

I have a friend doing the same as Mattias. He runs Nuendo on a PC and three Giga Studios using Giga Teleport. He remotely administers them with a Remote Administration App and says it works great.

As for myself I have three Macs and four gigas and do everything remotely (over giga bit lan) except for the audio. I still mix everything in a digital mixer and the mixer goes 24 channels into Logic via Firewire.

Quote Originally Posted by mutato5
    I have a friend doing the same as Mattias. He runs Nuendo on a PC and three Giga Studios using Giga Teleport. He remotely administers them with a Remote Administration App and says it works great.

As for myself I have three Macs and four gigas and do everything remotely (over giga bit lan) except for the audio. I still mix everything in a digital mixer and the mixer goes 24 channels into Logic via Firewire.
    I was curious as how you go about connecting the pcs to your mac. I know that apps like FX teleport are pc only. I would like to dedicate a pc to running VSTs but I don't want to bother with additional hardware.

Thanks a lot.

MK

Mckelly,

For Midi I use Midi over Lan by www.musiclab.com

For Remote Adminstration I use Apple Remote Desktop. http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

And for the client software on the pc side I use RealVNC client software.
    http://www.realvnc.com/

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by mckelly
    I was curious as how you go about connecting the pcs to your mac. I know that apps like FX teleport are pc only. I would like to dedicate a pc to running VSTs but I don't want to bother with additional hardware.

Thanks a lot.

MK
    There's a cross-platform program called Wormhole2 that offers similar functionality to FX/Giga teleport.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast