• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Topic: New to Sampling – Overwhelmed by Choices – Need Help

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    New to Sampling – Overwhelmed by Choices – Need Help

    I’m glad I found this site because I’ve been browsing a lot of the threads and visited members’ sites and I find that you guys know what you’re talking about and you’re creating the sounds that I’m looking to create.

    As my title indicates, I’m new to sampling and looking to make a purchase for use with Logic 7 Pro. I’ve listened to a lot of sample libraries but the problem I run into is that the demos, for the most part, always sound good (which is the point from a sales perspective). I’m not naive enough to believe that by just purchasing a library I can extract that kind of sound from the tool ... at least without further research.

    I, like many, like the “film score” sound and that’s what I’m looking to create. So I need a vast orchestral library, pianos, percussion, electronic sounds, etc… I’d also like these libraries to be easy to use (I don’t know if that’s wishful thinking) and priced well. I’m not a professional so I don’t need the best of the best, but I have a good ear so I’m not willing to pay for something that won’t sound good.

    On my list so far of possibilities are the following (I’m new to sampling so forgive me if I’ve totally missed the most obvious choice from the market):

    Vienna Horizon Series Opus 1 & 2, Epic Horns
    EWQL Stormdrum
    Synthology Ivory
    Spectronics Symphony of Voices

    My concern lies mostly with the purchase of my orchestral libraries since they require the most technology in order to get a good performance.

    Again, I’m looking for compatibility with Logic 7, ease of use, good price, great sound or a wake up call letting me know that what I’m looking for doesn’t exist.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Regards,
    Eric

  2. #2

    Re: New to Sampling – Overwhelmed by Choices – Need Help

    Hi Eric.

    I too am a Logic user. I have the VSL First Edition and a few of the Horizon series products and I highly recommend them. Anything that VSL produces is generally of a very high quality. It takes a little bit of work to get the best out of them though so if you want something that is a little more immediate and 'out of the box' you might want to look into getting one of the EWQL Symphonic Orchestra packages which are also very good. I own Gold and although I don't use it as much as VSL it's still an excellent product, as is EWQL Storm Drum for the big Hollywood percussion sound.

    Symphony of Voices is LOVELY! It's old but still up there at the top of the tree.

    I haven't got Ivory but have heard good things about it. Akoustik Piano is meant to be worth a look also. I use the PMI Bosendorfer and Old Lady, and the Vintaudio C7 and Uprights for most of my piano needs.

    Cheers,

    Nick


    -----------------------
    www.messhead.com

  3. #3

    Re: New to Sampling – Overwhelmed by Choices – Need Help

    Hi - good choices.

    Vienna products require good reverb, so get that.

    Another possible option for you would be EastWest QuantumLeap Symphonic Orchestra Gold (EWQLSO Gold).

    The price considered its a good purchase.

    While I prefere VSL, EWQLSO is easier to get a 'filmscore' like sound. You need some very good composing chops to do it with Opus (although having Epic Horns help).

    You might want to have a look at Spectrasonics Atmosphere - its synth with loads of electronic sound scapes - can be very good for background stuff.

    Another good choir alternative would be EastWest Symphonic Choir (although more expenssive than SOV)

    [EDIT] Looks like Nick and I are on the same page

  4. #4

    Re: New to Sampling – Overwhelmed by Choices – Need Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    [EDIT] Looks like Nick and I are on the same page


    I don't know. There's a slight difference of opinion over Symphony of Voices.

    Shall we settle it with an arm-wrestle?

    Nick

  5. #5

    Re: New to Sampling – Overwhelmed by Choices – Need Help

    If your looking for BIG pianos, check out www.sampletekk.com
    Worra
    SampleTekk

    Arf, arf, arf...

  6. #6

    Re: New to Sampling – Overwhelmed by Choices – Need Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Worra
    If your looking for BIG pianos, check out www.sampletekk.com

    Sorry Worra. I forgot to mention Sampletekk. I was actually on the phone yesterday to a composer friend of mine who's recently purchased TBO. He was saying how much he loves it.

  7. #7

    Re: New to Sampling – Overwhelmed by Choices – Need Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Hi - good choices.

    Vienna products require good reverb, so get that.
    The Space Designer plug in included for free with Logic is excellent.

  8. #8

    Re: New to Sampling – Overwhelmed by Choices – Need Help

    Thanks. These are helpful comments.

    I just checked out the EWQL Symphonic Gold demos and I wasn't too impressed with how the strings sounded in the upper registers and when playing fast passages.

    Nick: I checked out some of your music. It was great! What string samples did you use in 'The Illustrated Mum'? When you say you need composing chops to use the Opus libraries, what exactly do you mean by that? Do you just mean you need to spend more time learning the libraries and how samples work together? How well does the performance tool integrate with Logic?

  9. #9

    Re: New to Sampling – Overwhelmed by Choices – Need Help

    Quote Originally Posted by esthoe
    Nick: I checked out some of your music. It was great! What string samples did you use in 'The Illustrated Mum'?
    Thanks a lot Eric.

    If you mean The Illustrated Mum tracks in the Drama section of my site, it was predominantly VSL First Edition strings (with a subtle layer of VSL Solo Strings and Atmosphere strings for added lushness). The theme in the Title Music section also used VSL but the cello was from the M-Tron.

    Quote Originally Posted by esthoe
    How well does the performance tool integrate with Logic?
    The VSL Legato tool integrates perfectly into Logic and the EXS24.

    Cheers,

    Nick

    -----------------------
    www.messhead.com

  10. #10

    Re: New to Sampling – Overwhelmed by Choices – Need Help

    Do you just mean you need to spend more time learning the libraries and how samples work together? How well does the performance tool integrate with Logic?
    I think he ment that you will need to spend more time mixing it like panning and adding reverbe, but it's well worth it if you ask me.


    I srtongly recommend Opus 1+2 as your main library and build on that, a lot of work went into that lib., like the legato and some repetition + the musician from vienna are fantastic. You could add Epic horn of corse or any of the vsl horison series. You should look at Sonic Implants too, i think they capture that ''movie'' sound stage better than any other imo, listen to the brass/strings and the SISC giga3 format demos, or wait for SI Muse whitch should be good(i'm not sure) . An other cheap addition could be Kurk Hunter Emerald($250/$300).... Listen to Sam's project for brass and percutions too, you'll love them. And be carefull whit that ''out of the box'' sound'', i felt for it myself and was dissapointed caus you're limited when comes the mix, all musicians are in place and the reverb is fix so ....+ you're paying for reverb whitch doesn't make sence since you can get great reverb these days and make it sound exactly like you want, but gold as an addition could be a good choice too if you're willing to live whit the down side.

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •