• Register
  • Help

Topic: a question about harp glissandi...

Share/Bookmark

a question about harp glissandi...

...well you all know it...harp glissandi are an often used (and sometimes overused) element in filmscorings. I like them...they are a wonderful tool to underline dramatic swells. what I'd like to know: which chords or harmonies are good to use? It's for me hard to analyse that by ear. sure there is the possibility to use the same key in which the passage is actually. (or pentatonic and full tone scales) but often I mean to hear other keys which seems to be much more interesting....so what is adequate.....the minor parallel (hmmm...almost the same) or a quint or quart higher? I'm riddling.

thanks for all thoughts!

Re: a question about harp glissandi...

You might like to read my harp tutorial here

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by GigaLove
    ...well you all know it...harp glissandi are an often used (and sometimes overused) element in filmscorings. I like them...they are a wonderful tool to underline dramatic swells. what I'd like to know: which chords or harmonies are good to use? It's for me hard to analyse that by ear. sure there is the possibility to use the same key in which the passage is actually. (or pentatonic and full tone scales) but often I mean to hear other keys which seems to be much more interesting....so what is adequate.....the minor parallel (hmmm...almost the same) or a quint or quart higher? I'm riddling.

thanks for all thoughts!
    You'll find Terry's excellent tutorial helpful.

Because harp is diatonic sometime you need to be creative to fit it into the key being played. This is why you may hear other other keys.

Harp glissandi are certainly common in filmscorings. There are various kinds of glissandi - Double-note glissandos, ascending and descending glissandos, 2-3 and 4 note glissandos. Pedal changes are also possible while glissandos are being played.

There is a booklet called "Harp Scoring" by Stanley Chaloupka. If you email me I'll let you borrow it from the Garritan Interlibrary loan archives.

Gary Garritan

The Chaloupka text, Harp Scoring, is also available online for a very modest $6.50 via
    http://vanderbiltmusic.com/Merchant2...ategory_Code=B

I highly recommend it.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

There are also:

- "Modern Study of The Harp" by Carlos Salzedo
    - "Writing For The Pedal Harp: A Standardized Manual for Composers And Harpists" by Ruth Inglefield & Lou Anne Neill

Sorry, but I haven't read them. Maybe Gary can comment on them?

Mats

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    I haven't gotten this book yet (get it during my next quarter film scoring class), but I hear it is the ONLY book for harp writing.

Tom
    I wouldn't say necessarily that it's the "only" book, of course -- it's brief (maybe 50 pages), and I'm sure much more can be said on the subject.

But as I recall, it does a fine job of laying out all the important points... including some very useful "don't-do-that" pointers.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram
    There are also:

- "Modern Study of The Harp" by Carlos Salzedo
    - "Writing For The Pedal Harp: A Standardized Manual for Composers And Harpists" by Ruth Inglefield & Lou Anne Neill

Sorry, but I haven't read them. Maybe Gary can comment on them?

Mats
    Carlos Salzedo was one of the greatest harp masters of all time. The "Modern Study of The Harp" is intended for more advanced perple and many not be best for the novice. It does give a great deal of information about harp technique.

The best way to learn is to take private lessons with a beautiful harpist

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    The best way to learn is to take private lessons with a beautiful harpist
    I don't know. I'm afraid Orcas Island is too far away.

sorry for my late reply guys...I was a few days without the pc.

thanks for all ideas! great!

garry thanks for the offer...I'll email immediately. I hoped for a hint from the harp master here

tried recently the k2 scripts with the different tone ladders arps. not bad! only steadily keys hanging...seems to be a k2 bug

once again thanks and greetings

Go Back to forum