• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Hi Y'all - Pictures from the Texas Music Educators Conference

Share/Bookmark

Hi Y'all - Pictures from the Texas Music Educators Conference

I just returned today from the Texas Music Educator's Conference in San Antonio, Texas. The Texas Music Educators Conference is one of the most popular music education shows in the country. We exhibited there last year and were looking forward to returning.

San Antonio is a wonderful town. The heart of the city is the Riverwalk which consists of 2.5-miles of cobblestone path along the San Antonio River with many restaurants, hotels and shops along the walk.

I arrived in San Antonio Wednesday and met Jeff at the airport. After setting up for the show we met Wheat Williams.

On Wednesday night I had dinner with Steve Oppenheimer, Editor-in-chief of Electronic Musician; Joe Perry from MET Magazine; and Debra Barbie from Roland. We ate at a Mexican restaurant on the Riverwalk, listened to Mariachi music and had a great time

The exhibit halls opened Thursday morning and the show started out with a bang. The morning was very busy with educators coming by the booth and getting demonstrations of GPO, J&BB and the Stradivari Violin libraries.

Many instrument manufacturers were there.

Steinway Pianos

Many stringed, wind, brass and percussion instrument makers were there too:

A genuine Klotz violin and

Haynes flutes (the maker of the GPO flute).

Re: Hi Y'all - Pictures from the Texas Music Educators Conference

Many Music Software Companies were there too:

Tom Johnson Demonstrating Jazz and Big Band at the Finale Booth

Sibelius was demonstrating GPO Sibelius Edition at the booth.

Time Warp Technologies showing Home Concert Xtreme with GPO:

Home Concert "listens" to your keyboard playing (or any MIDI instrument), and synchronizes the orchestral accompaniment (e.g. using GPO), responding both to changes of tempo and volume, and coordinates the accompaniment tracks to match your playing. If you slow your keyboard playing the accompaniment will slow to match the tempo. It will also respond to rubatos and pauses and will "turn your pages" intelligently. Very cool software!

Notion was also there showing their latest version.

And there were many publishers at TMEA also. :

Paul Lavendar, Vice President of Hal Leonard Publishing

On Thursday afternoon I was invited to give a talk to students at the University of the Incarnate Word campus a few miles awaty from the Convention center. I talked to the Music Industry Studies class about how to succeed in the music industry and the importance of innovating and thinking outside the box.

Dr. Ken Metz, Professor of Composition, Jim Waller, Head of the Music Industry
    Program, Bill Gokelman, Chair of the Music Department and a few of the students

Later that afternoon Craig and Christopher Reeves arrived.

Craig was one of the top GPO Competition winners and had his work performed
    in last year's orchestral concert.

The Alamo

The Alamo is the most visited attraction inTexas.

The Battle of the Alamo was a 19th Century battle between Mexico and rebel Texan forces during the Texas Revolution. It took place at the Alamo mission in San Antonio, Texas in 1836. Colonel William Travis, Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie are names associated with the battle of the Alamo, that world famous battle for Texas' freedom in 1836. The 13-day siege ended on March 6 with the capture of the mission and the death of nearly all the Texian defenders. Despite the loss, the holdout allowed Sam Houston to gather troops and supplies for his later successful battle at San Jacinto.

Joe Perry, Steve O, Wheat Williams, Jeff Hurchalla, Chris Reves & Craig Reeves

After visiting the Alamo we went for dinner at a resturant on the riverwalk. Following dinner we all went to a concert of the Dallas Wind Symphony with the Shelly Berg Trio

The Dallas Wind Symphony is one of the best wind bands in the US. The band consists of 50 woodwind, brass and percussion players The Dallas Wind Symphony makes its home in one of the world's greatest concert halls - Meyerson Symphony Hall. Shelly Berg is an extraordinary jazz composer and pianist. He is currently the Chair of the Jazz Studies program at USC and performs with prominent jazz artists worldwide The concert was phenomenal. The Wind Symphony performed Host's First Suite for Military Band, Ravel's Daphne and Cloe, Mozart's Adagio from the Gran Partita Serenade and other works. In the secons half of the concert, the Dallas Wind Symphony was joined by the Shelly Berg Trio. They performed My Bells by Bill Evans, Payanne by Faure and Blackbird by Lennon/McCartney.

Dallas Wind Symphony

Shelly Berg Trio and the DWS

We met one of our forum members Dargason (David) who plays with the Dallas Wind Symphony. And with his is Brian2112 and his wonderful wife Allison:

Dargason with Brian 2112 and Allison

Brainstorming Breakfast for Music Education and Technology.

Friday started early with a Brainstorming Breakfast for Music Education and Technology. Attending the breakfast were: Steve Openheimer, Editor in Chief, Electronic Musician; Joe Perry from Music Education & Technology Magazine; Paul Lavener from Hal Leanoard Publishing; Lee Whitmore from Soundtree; Dennis Mouricio, Education Consultant; Tom Rudolf, Preident of TI:ME (Technology Institute for Music Educators); Tom Johnson from MakeMusic (Finale); Larry Marchese from Sibelius; Ken Johnson from M-Audio, Debra Barbie from Roland and myself. The breakfast meeting was engaging and fascinating and I believe good things will result.

In the afternoon was lunch with Steve Satler from Sound on Sound and his wife Lay. We ate at a Mexican restaurant on the Riverwalk.

Later that afterneen, it was an unexpected pleasure to get a call from Joaz and Snorlax. Joaz was in the USA from UK having mettings with his new publisher. Joaz and Snorlax were having lunch in Indianaoplis. Coincidently I was in Euphonum heaven (Snorklaz is the forum resident Euphonium enthusiast). There were Euphonium Ensembles performing at TMEA and maybe this will entice Snorlax to come next year.

I was also in harp heaven:

Odessa High School Harp Ensemble

Later in the day I met with some distributors and did some business. Forum Members also visited. Terry Williams from our froum was showing his Drill Designs. Jim Casalla was also demonstrating Virtual Drumline at the Brook-Mays booth. Below is Bruce Richardson and Jim.

Gary Burch from the forum (who did the Green Comic series) also visited.

Wheat Williams seemed to be having a great time throughout the show and I appreciated his support and help.

Digital Orchestras in the Classroom

I presented a clinic at the end of the day called "Digital Orchestras in the Classroom". I spoke about the state-of-the-art of digital orchestration, as well as its history and new things coming, and gave lots of examples. The audience seemed to enjoy the presentation (except Wheat who was sleeping in the back).

Showing DPDan's video of Ken-P's GPO Competition work (Thanks Dan!)

Wake up everybody!

After the presentation there was a TI:ME resception in the same room. We enjoyed the free food and fellowship.

Brain2112 was acting up so I took him to the Basson Bash with the West Texas A&M University Basson Ensemble. A dozen or so bassoonists played popular works like Beer Barrel Polka and Fanfare for the Common Man.

After the Basson Bash we went to eat at a Mexian Resturant on the Riverwalk. The weather wasn't the greatest but the libations and Mexican food kept us warm. We talked for hours with Brian and Allison. They are just great people.

Saturday morning I met with John Dunphy Executive Director of TI:ME
    (Technology Institute for Music Educators):

Saturday was a good day to meet with educators.Some of the educators I met with were G. David Peters from Purdue University, Director School of Music; Henry Howey, Prof at Sam Houston State University School of Music; and Dr. Dave Sebald from the University of Texas at San Antonio.

Dr. John Kuzmich, author and writer for the Jazz Educator Journal and Jeff Hurchalla:

Saturday afternoon we saw Bruce Richardson again. It was a real pleasure talking with him. Bruce showed us his very cool Zen Drum:

I really enjoyed the Texas Music Educators show. Music was everywhere. Wind Ensembles, Bands, Jazz Bands, Marching Bands, String and full orchestras, choirs brass ensembles, wind ensembles, and more. And there were concerts and workshops continuously. What was very inspiring was how many young people were there. I was also impressed with the dedication and commitment of the educators we met.

It was good to come home. Mr's G treated me to some Mexican food when I returned.

Arriving Orcas Island

Gary Garritan

Wow... some great shots, and great to put some names and faces together.

Looks like you were darned busy down there, Gary!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Cool pictures! I didn't know Wheat was gonna be there- Hi, Wheat!!

WOW, that was fun.
    Thank you Gary for the pictures and the cools stories.
    I hope they heard the Ken PGPO orchestra in stereo!
    That was great!
    Dan

Hey, nice! Cool pictures, looks like it was a lot of fun! Nice to see so many faces! Hmmm... actually a recent pic of Brian... I'm so accustomed to the bigfoot pic
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum