• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cheapest layout for a "pro quality" sound?

Share/Bookmark

Cheapest layout for a "pro quality" sound?

Hello!

My apologies for the double-posting (I just posted in "hardware") but I don't know where the answer to my question lies... Please help!

My question: given the slew of hardware and software available, what's the cheapest way to put together a setup which will deliver results worthy of being on the air? To put this another way, imagine you had no gear whatsoever, and you were suddenly contracted to score a commercial or TV show. If you were pinching pennies, how would you do it?

This is a difficult question to answer, because if you check on any company's website they're likely to tell you their stuff is the best. It also doesn't necessarily help to know what the top pros use, (like, say, the top 5 film composers in America) because their equipment is likely better than a barebones rig. Obviously there are a range of products, and the more you pay the better it gets. What I want to know is, though, where do you draw the line, and say "on this side is for typical (but not top 5) professional composers of TV and film, on that side is for amateurs"? Again, forgive the posting here, but I honestly don't know if the answer involves hardware, or software samplers etc. like Gigastudio.

Many thanks,

Elf

Re: Cheapest layout for a "pro quality" sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Elf
    Hello!

My apologies for the double-posting (I just posted in "hardware") but I don't know where the answer to my question lies... Please help!

My question: given the slew of hardware and software available, what's the cheapest way to put together a setup which will deliver results worthy of being on the air? To put this another way, imagine you had no gear whatsoever, and you were suddenly contracted to score a commercial or TV show. If you were pinching pennies, how would you do it?

This is a difficult question to answer, because if you check on any company's website they're likely to tell you their stuff is the best. It also doesn't necessarily help to know what the top pros use, (like, say, the top 5 film composers in America) because their equipment is likely better than a barebones rig. Obviously there are a range of products, and the more you pay the better it gets. What I want to know is, though, where do you draw the line, and say "on this side is for typical (but not top 5) professional composers of TV and film, on that side is for amateurs"? Again, forgive the posting here, but I honestly don't know if the answer involves hardware, or software samplers etc. like Gigastudio.

Many thanks,

Elf
    In order to give any help, we need to know a budget and what sort of music you write.

D

I agree with Daryl. What type of music are you writting and what do you already own? Knowing this will help us with feedback.

The answer is in this parallel thread...

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=42810

-JF

As usual JF has the answer.

Go Back to forum