• Register
  • Help

Topic: Another first attempt

Share/Bookmark

Another first attempt

Done a fair bit of writing but this is the first attempt at using GPO.

It's an orchestral piece and this excerpt lasts less than 3 mins.

I'm not happy with the strings for a couple of reasons but what do you guys think?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=490885

(There's only one item there at the moment, "Weirdstone 1".)

Thanks

Re: Another first attempt

I tried to listen but it says check back tomorrow

Dan

Welcome aboard, UnderScorer!

As to what I think, my patented, copyrighted, and by now memorized introductory comment to new users of GPO... mind you, I own this outright, so no one else gets to say it, type it, use it, or even think the word:

Patience.

You're well on your way; but at the stage where you're still getting it all under control. It's rather like juggling -- there's a lot to consider, and it takes practice to keep all the balls in the air at once.

Specifically on this, don't worry about the writing, that's there -- there's some very good musical material here.

Now you need to explore sound treatment -- even a live orchestra sounds dreadful in a flat, dry room; so getting a handle on using reverb goes miles toward instantly improving overall sound.

Tell us a little more about how you're putting this together (sequencer, notation, etc.)!

And, once again, a hearty welcome, UnderScorer!

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    I tried to listen but it says check back tomorrow

Dan
    Dan, try the Hi-Fi selection -- that worked for me, though it's in their native player.

D.

Thanks for your comments etLux

I write my dots in Sibelius. With this piece I saved as midi and then ran GPO through Cubase. Unfortunately my machine's not fast enough to run lots of GPO sounds all with effects simultaneously, so I had to record each voice as audio. Crude, I know. Should I add reverb to individual parts?

U/S

Quote Originally Posted by underscorer
    Thanks for your comments etLux

I write my dots in Sibelius. With this piece I saved as midi and then ran GPO through Cubase. Unfortunately my machine's not fast enough to run lots of GPO sounds all with effects simultaneously, so I had to record each voice as audio. Crude, I know. Should I add reverb to individual parts?

U/S
    My approach to things is -- If it works, it must be right.

So sure, try that. See what happens!

I'm not a Sibelius user (I use Finale); but we have plenty of people who use Sibelius, here; so I'm sure someone can pitch in a hand.

David.

There are some really lovely ideas here.
    As to the whole realization of the score - as David said: Patience.
    Are you using Sib 4. the GPO/Sib Edition? Or another version of Sib, and playing it back through the GPO Studio? The balances seem off, but depending on how you are doing this, the solution will be a little different. One thing with regards the strings: check the Velocity - too low or too high does funny things.
    If you are you, by chance, using the GPO/Sib edition, go into the Garritan options panel, and uncheck Convert Dynamics to Velocities (or something to that effect); at least for me, it never turns out well.

Hope this can be a little help. With more info, we'll be able to cobble together some assistance.

R. Pearl

A good first start there!

I've noticed the strings lacked some legato, which could be the reason why aren't very satisfying. Which version of Sibelius are you using?
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Thanks for these comments, everyone!

It's an earlier version of Sib (version 2), I'm afraid. I'm opening GPO from the Cubase VST instrument panel.

Yes, the balance is a bit out - I've consciously kept the strings down a bit because I'm not happy about the sound.

To me the strings are neither one thing nor another: the lyrical passages sound like an early b&w movie recording, and the harsh, rhythmic section in the middle has about as much impact as a wet sponge.

The sound of the brass, woodwind and percussion are closer to my intentions.

It's not what I'm hearing in my head.

U/S

Go Back to forum