• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anybody Scrub Midi?

Share/Bookmark

Anybody Scrub Midi?

Does anybody use SX3 Edit In-Place scrubbing? Seems almost servicable for percussive stuff but terrible for sustained instruments.
    I've posted requests on the SX3 forum for the keyeditor to support Midi scrubbing (where it belongs) but it seems that Steinberg and it's users just aren't interested. StudioVision (my platform until it vanished) had scrubbing. A modifier key would change the cursor to a speaker icon. Just wipe and edit. I found it indispensable. Cubase seems so complete, every possible tool & feature has been thoughtfully included except this crucial one.
    My questions
    1. Do you use Midi scrubbing?
    2. Does anybody use SX3's 'Edit In-Place' and find it useful?
    3. What software do you use that supports well implemented Midi scrubbing?
    Thanks,
    Rabdaddy
    PCaudioLabs DAW - Win XP Home SP2 - Athlon 64 X2 4400+ - 2G - A8V Deluxe Mobo - 80gb EIDE (OS) - 80gb SATA (audio) - 320gb SATA Raid 0 (samples) - Tascam FW1804 - Cubase SX3 - Twin 23" Dell S2309W Displays - Tranzport
    Rabdaddy Studio website

Re: Anybody Scrub Midi?

I've never even thought to try something like that... funny, I use audio scrubbing all the time. It sounds like a good suggestion for SX4...
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by rabdaddy
    Does anybody use SX3 Edit In-Place scrubbing?
    What means 'In-place scrubbing'
    I'm not a native speaker and even I know the words and have an
    idea what it COULD be I'd like to know what it realy means.

Thanks in advance, and sorry that I can't (yet?) help you.

Tom

For what it is worth, Sonar supports midi-scrubbing and although I don't use it all the time for some tricky to me harmonizations (particularly if I've painted myself into a corner with respect to counterpoint) it is very useful.

Chet

Sonar has midi scrubbing but quite frankly I don't find it that useful. Its probably me and the jerky way I drag my mouse pointer when scrubbing midi distorts the timing too much. Particularly to scutinize fast performance midis, I find it works better for me to switch to a 75% or 50% alternate tempo to make it easier to pinpoint stray notes or locate screwy chord voicings.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by howardv
    Sonar has midi scrubbing but quite frankly I don't find it that useful. Its probably me and the jerky way I drag my mouse pointer when scrubbing midi distorts the timing too much. Particularly to scutinize fast performance midis, I find it works better for me to switch to a 75% or 50% alternate tempo to make it easier to pinpoint stray notes or locate screwy chord voicings.

Howard
    Yeah, I use it in Sonar sometimes if I am in the piano roll trying to fix a part and I want to check the key as the note sounds. It sometimes works a little better than slowing down the tempo.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

If I'm in a hurry and tracking midi, I'll scrub while the engineer sets the level to tape. Wow..I'm still saying level to tape.

Go Back to forum