• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Piano Prelude 1 in C minor

Share/Bookmark

Piano Prelude 1 in C minor

Here is a little piano prelude I’m working on. Let me know what you think. Does this work?

Prelude 1 in C Minor

Edit - Here is the second Prelude -

Prelude 2 in D Major
    Last edited by trentpmcd; 02-20-2006 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added another link
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: Piano Prelude 1 in C minor

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Does this work?
    Heck, yes!

Go finish this so I can enjoy the rest of it as much as I did the first of it.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Yes it works. Please finish it for us.
    88fingers
    (The Nut )

www.waveav8.com

Thanks David and 88Fingers.

Well, finishing will, in this case, mostly mean maybe changing a harmony or two or a note or two, not making it longer. However, other Preludes will be on their way.

I spent some time with my composition teacher going over some of Chopin’s Preludes and am trying to write something in that style without copying Chopin. Chopin’s preludes were, for the most part, very short.

I’m glad you both enjoyed this little prelude. Thanks for listening and for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Chopin’s preludes were, for the most part, very short.
    True... but this is such positively lovely work, Trent -- that richly emotive thematic material: gosh, it'd take a tether and chains to hold me back from developing that!

I've listened through this a good dozen times by now, though; and to amplify my rather brief remarks earlier, I do think it works, extremely well indeed, just as it stands.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks again David.

I may go back at some point and play with this some more and see where it will take me. Right now I am playing around with a few more ideas. If any of them seem to be working I'll put them up.
    Trent P. McDonald

Here is the second Prelude, Prelude 2 in D Major. I tried something very different with this one. I like it, but am a little too close to the source. What do you think?

Prelude 2 in D Major
    Trent P. McDonald

Here is the second Prelude, Prelude 2 in D Major. I tried something very different with this one. I like it, but am a little too close to the source. What do you think?

Prelude 2 in D Major
    What I think is, you write interesting preludes -- This is excellent work.

Might I suggest perhaps very slightly less acceleration on lift-off?

Wonderful interplay on this.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks David. After being very conservative with my harmonies the last few months it’s nice to stretch my wings and play around with a little chromaticism.

By acceleration are you talking about the rate of change in the harmonies? I might try extending one or two of them but it might not still have the sense of almost vertigo exhilaration I was looking for. Anyway, It’s easy enough to experiment.

Thanks again for listening and commenting.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thanks David. After being very conservative with my harmonies the last few months it’s nice to stretch my wings and play around with a little chromaticism.

By acceleration are you talking about the rate of change in the harmonies? I might try extending one or two of them but it might not still have the sense of almost vertigo exhilaration I was looking for. Anyway, It’s easy enough to experiment.

Thanks again for listening and commenting.
    Nope.

Just thought maybe you might want to ease in very slightly softer and slower -- with a quick build of course -- so the listener has a moment to get his harmonic bearings amid the chromaticism.

A very minor performance point, really... and more a reflection of my own tastes than anything else.

David.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast